oka's heroism should ignore the SL 27 cap

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 15:54

oka's heroism should ignore the SL 27 cap

Okawaru's Heroism ability raises all your non-magic skills by 5, up to the normal limit of 27. In my view, this cap should be removed: Heroism should let you raise your skills all the way to 32.

As far as I can tell, the cap has two practical consequences:

(1) it makes Okawaru weaker in extended, and
(2) it incentivizes (though probably weakly) players to stop raising their non-magic skills over 22, and instead rely on Heroism for cases where the extra five levels would matter.

But (1) is unnecessary. While it's a good thing that Oka is weaker in extended, it would be weak enough without the Heroism cap: the real reasons why Oka is weaker in extended is that your equipment has gotten good enough that further gifts will be increasingly unlikely to matter, and that the tactical benefits of other gods matter more than the bigger numbers Heroism and Finesse provide. And (2) is both unnecessary--diminishing returns on XP are reason to diversify enough--and annoyingly meta-gamey.

On the other hand, removing the cap would have gameplay and thematic benefits. Gameplay-wise, all things being equal it's (a) good for abilities to have unified effects throughout the life of a character, and (b) good for gods to provide multiple ways of spending piety. Thematically, Okawaru is all about pushing your abilities beyond normal levels. It's both fitting and flavorful for Okawaru to grant the greatest worshippers the ability to transcend mortal limitations.

For this message the author luckless has received thanks: 4
duvessa, njvack, quik, Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 15:56

Re: oka's heroism should ignore the SL 27 cap

Cool, it also means minimum delay with the largest crossbows (I think it's at 28?).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 16:15

Spamming Finesse more is pretty nice.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 18:10

Okawaru doesn't need buff in extended. It's quite strong in extended as it is now.

Raising combat skills up to 22 and putting spare xp to magic/evoc/other skills is quite good strategy.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks:
TonberryJam

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 20:21

Basically what papilio said. Oka is like the most hybrid friendly god in the game. It's a pretty strong ability. And, you can always go back to raising those skills when done with magic skills.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 23rd April 2017, 04:04

I don't see any harm in the proposal, but I don't see any benefits either. The benefits given in the OP seem rather weaksauce.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 23rd April 2017, 14:09

bel wrote:I don't see any harm in the proposal, but I don't see any benefits either. The benefits given in the OP seem rather weaksauce.
Yeah, I guess they are. Really a more honest rationale would've been: "the cap is annoying and removing it would be harmless, so why not remove it?"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th April 2017, 21:45

I don't think it would have too much of an impact on most skills, since this would largely only affect extended and doing more melee damage/having slightly better defenses isn't really that big of a deal in extended, where characters are already assumed to have too much ac/ev to take much normal damage, and thus damnation/torment are the big threats.

I think crossbows have an explicit min delay of 10 auts and even if you had 32 skill, they would never reach 7 auts, and it should stay that way. Unarmed would also need to stay at a min delay of 5 aut, although having 3 + 32 skill = 35 base damage would be pretty funny. Again, it probably wouldn't matter much since you can already slaughter everything with 27 unarmed, but it might be the largest benefit to level 32 skills.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, luckless

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 24th April 2017, 21:50

Flavour wise: if you have 27 in a skill, you are already a hero, so Oka can't help you any more.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 25th April 2017, 15:19

My main reason for agreeing with the OP: it makes the mechanic clearer. Heroism adds 5 to the relevant skills. End of story. I'd also argue that you should see the HP boost from Fighting as well.

It's also kind of cool to have a way to have your skills go past 27, if only temporarily.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Gigaslurp, luckless, quik

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner