Remove Scythe

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 20th April 2017, 23:32

Remove Scythe

Because it's useless and meaningless

Change Sigmund's weapon to the glaive artefact "Reaper's Scythe" or "Sigmund's Scythe"
and kick every other scythes from the game
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 7
bel, Cimanyd, duvessa, Gigaslurp, Hellmonk, yesno, ZipZipskins

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 01:21

Re: Remove Scythe

Yes.

A yiufcrawl player asked me to allow bearkins to wield scythes one handed. People are actually trying to wield these things because they look like real items. :( The scythe in question was branded and everything!
Yiufcrawl, a dcss fork with extra species
Pu, LO, HE, SE, "MD", Im, ST, BK, viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23209

For this message the author shping has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 01:53

To be honest, weapons in DCSS are a bit of a mess. There are too many weapon categories and far too many base types for the design space. At the very least, scythes and clubs should be eliminated for the reason in the op. Long-term, it would be good to cut down the number of weapon schools as well as the number of base weapon types. Axes and polearms are well-differentiated (I know that there are arguments that reaching is degenerate, but at the very least it changes your tactics), shortblades kind of are if you buy that it's important to restrict stabbing to one weapon category for some reason, and then you have room for one generic weapon school. Riposte doesn't do anything unique with your tactics, instead functioning as a roundabout way to get better single target damage than maces stapled to a bad cleave. I think that you could condense staves into maces and flails and merge shortblades into long blades (removing riposte and giving all blades stabbing bonus), trimming base types appropriately, with no loss of tactical depth and very little loss of strategic depth. It might be worth removing unarmed combat as well, but that is a bit more involved since you have to do something about transmutation form damage and trolls. Also, we really do not need four types of ranged weapons.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 5
bel, duvessa, Gigaslurp, nago, papilio

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 21st April 2017, 17:14

There need to be poor weapon choices so that the appearance of good choices is meaningful, yeah?

I mean, if everyone started the game next to a fully-stocked weapon rack, then yeah it would be pointless for clubs and scythes to be there. But it's a long long time before you have access to every type, and there are randarts, and monsters can certainly use poor weapon choices and drop them when they die.

I think it's interesting that I might have to think about whether a souped up randart scythe is better for my purposes vs. a vorpal trident. Or whether to use Sigmund's +0 scythe for poking Orc Warriors across a Conjured Flame vs. a +0 spear as my only other option.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks: 2
pedritolo, Rast

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 20:44

I don't think any weapon needs to be removed. In fact, variety is what keeps weapons interesting.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 21:11

Hellmonk wrote:It might be worth removing unarmed combat as well, but that is a bit more involved since you have to do something about transmutation form damage and trolls. Also, we really do not need four types of ranged weapons.

I've been a big fan of this idea for a while but afaict nobody else is. It'd be so simple. Claws attack at a flat .7 delay but otherwise function as though you had unarmed skill equal to your XL. Transmutation forms do damage based on spellpower.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 22:06

luckless wrote:
Hellmonk wrote:It might be worth removing unarmed combat as well, but that is a bit more involved since you have to do something about transmutation form damage and trolls. Also, we really do not need four types of ranged weapons.

I've been a big fan of this idea for a while but afaict nobody else is. It'd be so simple. Claws attack at a flat .7 delay but otherwise function as though you had unarmed skill equal to your XL. Transmutation forms do damage based on spellpower.

So you'd get one of the best attacks in the game with no XP investment? Confirmed, not a fan.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 22nd April 2017, 23:06

Siegurt wrote:
luckless wrote:

So you'd get one of the best attacks in the game with no XP investment? Confirmed, not a fan.

XL * n, then, where n < 1.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd April 2017, 09:05

I think that scythes have no reason to stay in the game as they are. They can be turned into halberds or whtv and be given a flavour tile like that unique girl's shield. After all, monsters only have them in flavour vaults (and Siggy).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner