Silent Spectre (Race)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 8th April 2017, 16:54

Silent Spectre (Race)

I keep redrafting this and not making it, but I swear I will make it this time.

Silent Spectre (Player Race)

Short Description: Frail noncorporeal apparitions who live in an eternal aura of silence, with partial immunity to their unnatural quiet.

Weirdness/Mutations:

Undead. You are an undead spirit.
rN (Immune)
Dispel Undead/Holy Weakness
rPois (Immune)
rC+
Cannot berserk, doesn’t need food.
Unlike other undeads you can mutate, use form spells and you quaff potions.

Noncorporeal. You aren’t completely solid.
Dodging bonus.
Immunity to curses. (The cursed item can’t stick to you).
Immunity to sticky flame.
Immunity to constriction, web traps/ensnare and throwing nets.

Hover. You lack feet and hover just above the ground. (Permaflight, No Boot Slot).

Aura of Silence. You are surrounded by an aura of unnatural quiet. Unsure what radius to make this. (Either Radius 4-5 to be partial LoS or full LoS.)

Demonic Ancestry. You are able to cast and invoke through gestures, uninhibited by silence.

Stats:
STR - 3
INT - 10
DEX - 12

Gains 1 INT or DEX every 4 levels.

Apts:

SS: Fighting: -1*, Short: 3!, Long: 2, Axes: 1, Maces: 1, Polearms: -1, Staves: 0, Slings: 0, Bows: -1, Xbows: -1, Throw: -2*, Armour: -3*, Dodge: 4!, Stealth: 5!, Shields: 1, UC: 0, Splcast: 1, Conj: 1, Hexes: 2, Charms: 2, Summ: 0, Nec: 2!, Tloc: 3, Tmut: 3!, Fire: 1, Ice: 1, Air: 3!, Earth: -2, Poison: -1, Inv: -2*, Evo: -1, Exp: -1, HP: -3, MP: 2

You cannot:

Cast Silence, Sublimation of Blood, Death’s Door, Revivification or Necromutation.
Worship Ashenzari, Fedhas, Zin, Elyvilon or the Shining One.
Read Scrolls.
Stop Flying (Gives a weakness to Airstrike).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 8th April 2017, 23:16

Re: Silent Spectre (Race)

I feel like you're trying to build the Gargoyle of undead, when, in reality, Gargoyle is the Gargoyle of undead. There are a lot of good ideas here, the passives and stuff look really strong. I would still really suggest removing a lot of this, like being able to mutate, transmute, and the demonic ancestry thing.

Just make them immune to (their own) silence, flatten their weapon apts (besides little biases here and there), keep their fighting the same, flatten their spellcasting aptitudes, and call it a good race. Oh, and try to give it a pronounceable name, like Exspiravit. I just googled that. It's Latin for Ghost.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 9th April 2017, 00:31

Pretty cool idea imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 9th April 2017, 09:19

Fix those aptitudes and you have my vote (for what is worth).
Some people will probably whine about the lack of reasoning behind the new species, what niche it aims to fill, etc. So you should probably write that down as well.
I'd certainly like to play a perma silence, no scrolls species.

Edit: and remove the mutation/forms gimmicks, please. It's an undead so it would just confuse everyone.
make food great again

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 9th April 2017, 19:38

I'm not making them completely immune to their own silence, because no scrolls is part of the balance here (it's meant to compliment Mu, which has the weakest of no potions).

Gargoyle of the Undead? ...do what? Tengu of the Undead a little, but Gargoyle? It has very low STR and completely sucks at armour, uhh?

I'm also not one to say that flat apts are better than varied ones. For weapons I get the argument, but Magic lends itself different. I wanted the weapons to be somewhat positive to make switching weapon types potentially an appealing and interesting choice, since you can't brand or enchant weapons, finding better on the floor is your only route etc. As for Magic, it's meant to support some playstyles more than others...

And undead that are allowed to Tmut was my original interest in doing a "ghost". Every player undead has slightly different rules, Mu/Necromut (those are the same), Ghoul, Vp...but all of them are walking corpses, which rot instead of being malmutated when the foe attempts to mutate you. A ghost...as I've said I've iterated on this a lot, but actually allowing them to mutate normally seems to make the most sense, "rot" makes no flavor sense and is a bit overdone anyways. Being able to be malmutated makes them miss out on a strength of normal undeads (Rotting is much more curable to handle than teleportitus etc.) Thus I don't really think it's necessary.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 10th April 2017, 16:51

less essay more code just make it already

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
bcadren, ZipZipskins

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 10th April 2017, 19:46

yesno wrote:less essay more code just make it already
Yea, you're right.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner