make wands of same kind automatically merge on pick

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 07:02

make wands of same kind automatically merge on pick

pleeeeeeeeeeeease
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 6
amaril, duvessa, ichbins, luckless, nago, Shard1697

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 13:21

Re: make wands of same kind automatically merge on pick

I wonder if the game would benefit from goldifying literally everything, except a set of items that we deliberately want to be mutually exclusive.

For this message the author Steel Neuron has received thanks: 3
amaril, duvessa, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 13:49

Steel Neuron wrote:I wonder if the game would benefit from goldifying literally everything, except a set of items that we deliberately want to be mutually exclusive.

Any means of reducing the amount of fiddling with the autopickup menu to stop picking up junk is a good development imo. I think this would be a good change to wands. It might already be in Hellcrawl, I don't remember.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 13:51

Stupid idea:

Inventory space is infinite (everything is goldified and stacks indefinitely).

There are 10-20 "toolbelt" slots where you can put consumables, rings evocables and/or swappable weapons. Moving things into the toolbelt slot takes 50 auts.

Any item interaction with the normal inventory takes at least 50 auts and prompts you if you are in combat. The toolbelt inventory slots skip that time.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 19:55

to facilitate this excellent change, here is a way to make it without removing either the identification game or the extra charge cost on unidentified wands:

once you know the number of charges for a particular wand (whether by using a scroll of identification or repeated use), you automatically know the number of charges for all wands of that type. thus, a stack of unidentified wands can always be represented in the inventory as having {??} charges, while a stack of identified wands can always be represented as having the total number of charges for each.

note that this only makes a gameplay difference once the player has indeed found multiple wands of the same kind. if necessary, scrolls of recharging could be made somewhat rarer to compensate for this. but I doubt it would be necessary.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 20:11

This has been in hellcrawl for some time now.

edit: Also, it is Extremely Good for wands to stack this way.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd March 2017, 22:10

I would do it another way. I would remove all wands. I would give a single wand to all characters, which would actually be an interface item. I would turn all wands into scrolls of charging; each scroll would allow you to load your wand with 5 charges of any of the current wands. If some effects are too good, reduce the number of charges as needed. Reading another scroll of recharging would waste all charges currently in your wand.

If there were the need not to make all effects immediately available, there could be crystals to collect in the dungeon that behave like runes in inventory and open up certain effect groups - a crystal of hexing, one of destruction, an elemental crystal...

All in all, I think it would remove inventory tedium and open up some interesting tactical choices.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 05:24

yes please
Spoiler: show
hi

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner