FR: Implement relativity

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 11th March 2017, 03:09

FR: Implement relativity

Siegurt wrote:
njvack wrote:Do all monster attacks take the same amount of time?

No, it's also not really appropriate to say monster attacks "take time" at least not in the sense that players do.

This is clearly not good enough. I think Crawl's time simulation needs to account for at least special, if not general, relativity. I think Chei would either completely agree or completely disagree, I'm not sure which.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 11th March 2017, 04:49

Re: FR: Implement relativity

also implement the speed of sound waves. It's stupid and REALLY pisses me off when I throw a stone into water and "[I] hear a splash" without 0.001 aut delay between my throw and the sound reaching my character. I swear the devs don't even care about realism some times...

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 11th March 2017, 17:59

njvack wrote:
This is clearly not good enough. I think Crawl's time simulation needs to account for at least special, if not general, relativity. I think Chei would either completely agree or completely disagree, I'm not sure which.

Definitely special relativity - time dilation only works to slow, I think. General relativity, maybe not - it all depends on whether you're the guy falling into the black hole, or the guy watching him...
<Sequell> Zargon is a greatplayer!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greaterplayer!
Online scoring

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 11th March 2017, 18:50

Zargon wrote:
njvack wrote:

Definitely special relativity - time dilation only works to slow, I think. General relativity, maybe not - it all depends on whether you're the guy falling into the black hole, or the guy watching him...

Obviously that's why the singularity spell was removed, it didn't properly simulate relativity.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 22:53

n1000 wrote:also implement the speed of sound waves. It's stupid and REALLY pisses me off when I throw a stone into water and "[I] hear a splash" without 0.001 aut delay between my throw and the sound reaching my character. I swear the devs don't even care about realism some times...

This would be a regression, I think. They'd have to redefine the fundamental physical constants of the crawl universe! AUTs being the absolute unit of time, having fractional auts is impossible, and would likely shatter the very orb of zot.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
n1000

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner