Remove rC- on ring of fire, rF- on ring of ice

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 10th March 2017, 17:47

Remove rC- on ring of fire, rF- on ring of ice

and remove ring of rF+, ring of rC+ plz

as in hellcrawl
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 7
bel, Floodkiller, Godmorgon, luckless, Shard1697, tabstorm, Zargon

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 10th March 2017, 18:58

Re: Remove rC- on ring of fire, rF- on ring of ice

I rather like them as they are. I like how they're pretty bad most of the time but good for a few characters.

For this message the author Grorgnorb has received thanks:
stoneychips

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 10th March 2017, 19:45

reducing the number of generic rings is good
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, Rast

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 18:43

I'd like to see removed fire and ice rings, I don't get why only those two schools benefit of an enhancer ring
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
luckless

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 19:37

nago wrote:I'd like to see removed fire and ice rings, I don't get why only those two schools benefit of an enhancer ring

Ring of the elements
This ring brings you closer to elemental magics, both enhancing your magical and physical damage with elements, but leaving you more vulnerable to damage from those same elements.
Ice/Fire/Earth/Air/Poison enhancer ring, rF-/rC-/rElec-/Ac-3/rPois-, +25% Fire/Cold/Elec/Vorpal/Venom brand damage

:)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 19:48

nago wrote:I'd like to see removed fire and ice rings, I don't get why only those two schools benefit of an enhancer ring

assuming that the original line of thinking was "spellpower and a resist but with a tradeoff", whoever originally made them probably couldn't think of a thematic penalty for a hypothetical ring of earth or ring of air and decided not to make them. or, the more likely scenario: "no reason really idk lol"

with that said there's no reason you couldn't have a ring of earth (AC+3, earth enhancer) or ring of air (rElec+, air enhancer), but since rElec only appears on artefact rings or storm DA, there must have been a desire to not have a generic ring of rElec. I don't know if there was ever a ring of insulation, but I know there was a spell at some point that got removed...
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 20:25

Siegurt wrote:Ring of the elements
This ring brings you closer to elemental magics.
Ice/Fire/Earth/Air enhancer ring.

Simpler version.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
duvessa, luckless

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 22:44

Rast wrote:

Simpler version.

Ah, but you dont get to torture players with meaningless decisions with that version, who wants to make that?
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 23rd March 2017, 23:21

Rast wrote:

Simpler version.

Sounds cool. Individual elemental schools already have staves as dedicated enhancers anyway.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th March 2017, 01:58

yeah the fire/ice enhancer being available and no air/earth did always strike me as odd. The first version has far too many negative resistances to be useful, though, unless you have some really good gear to cover the downsides.

The second version is simple and would be great, although I'd include poison. If you wanted to go super broad, you could call it something like the "ring of enhancement/archmagi" and include necromancy, hexes, transmuations, translocations, etc. Do you think a generic enhancer is too strong for a ring slot? Some minor -wiz could work, or give it int-3?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th March 2017, 08:31

tasonir wrote:The first version has far too many negative resistances to be useful, though, unless you have some really good gear to cover the downsides.
thats wrong and you know it
-3 AC for an enhancer is an excellent trade for elementalists and you can just remove the ring in 5 aut if something with a fire/cold/elec/poison attack actually shows up

that version has 0% chance of getting in the game though, because it's too complicated. even the current versions of the rings, which "just" give you an enhancer and mess with two resistances, do more stuff than any of the other rings in the game. the suggestion is to do that and affect your AC and add rElec- to the game just for the ring and do something weird with brands - the game doesn't even tell me how much damage my flaming brand does, how am I supposed to figure out how good +25% of it is? and how is it more interesting than wearing slaying?
and even as a spoiled source-diver, what is +25% of venom brand damage, since venom brand doesn't do any direct damage?

i think anything more complicated than an all-four-elements enhancer with rF- and rC- (no other advantages/disadvantages) is a bad idea. i don't like the resistance penalties because they do absolutely nothing if you can be bothered to swap, but that's true of every negative property on rings and weapons so i assume that the intended design of rings is that you swap them all the time and i should just suck it up.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner