Remove Auxiliary Armor, Weapons, and Enchantments

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 04:55

Remove Auxiliary Armor, Weapons, and Enchantments

Auxiliary armor adds nothing interesting to the game and presents no interesting decisions. If you find a pair of boots on the ground, there is no reason to not wear them. Furthermore, enchantments are also a big problem. Now that you don't have to enchant hides anymore and curses can't be broken with enchantments, there are no interesting decisions to be made with enchantment scrolls and they should be removed. Using enchant scrolls and equipping aux armor are no-brainers and neither require any xp investment to receive benefits.

We should also considering removing weapons from the game. Having different weapon types is pointless because you're never going to use weapons from a different skill pool instead of the one all your XP is invested into, and if you have the skill to use a great mace then using a great mace is a no-brainer and there is no reason to use any other weapon in the maces & flails pool. We already have unarmed combat which solves all of these problems and doesn't present you with fake no-brainer choices such as "Do I use this +0 dire flail, or this +7 great mace of crushing?".

All of these things are tedious and undermine the general design philosophy that has been laid out. I can't tell you how annoying it is to press buttons every time I come across a new piece of aux armor or a new enchant scroll. The game would be less tedious and require less keystrokes without any of these features; let's completely remove them from the game. If I have to press any more buttons in this game I think I might contract carpal tunnel.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 06:40

Re: Remove Auxiliary Armor, Weapons, and Enchantments

I realize it is a joke thread but I like first suggestion. It does not feel right when MDS gives almost the same AC as plate armour just because you have +2 aux armour pieces in other 4 slots. It would be more fun to have distinct characters with something like AC 40/EV 5 in plate and AC 15/EV 30 in MDS IMHO. Also make max dodging level depend on body armour so you cannot have Dodging 27 in CPA, just 5 (even if you have already trained it to 27 while wearing a robe)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 06:51

the funny thing is that you aren't wrong

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 07:02

Laraso wrote:We should also considering removing weapons from the game. Having different weapon types is pointless because you're never going to use weapons from a different skill pool instead of the one all your XP is invested into

actually i have a character using both a dire flail of pain and a lajatang of speed because of crosstraining bonuses

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 07:06

CanOfWorms wrote:actually i have a character using both a dire flail of pain and a lajatang of speed because of crosstraining bonuses

Let's remove crosstraining bonuses

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 2
ONIchinchin, VeryAngryFelid

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 08:20

What's the point of Crosstraining bonuses anyway, was it made to pander stabbers who have no choice but to use and/or train 1H to 2H LBs starting in midgame? To make nearly non-existent cases of weapon switching between the 3 remaining melee weapon skills seem optimal? It's seriously pretty pointless for the most part except for IJC if it manages to get in.

For this message the author ONIchinchin has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 10:49

Remove removals. Or remove us.

Can has "winning" yet?
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 11:07

Laraso wrote:Auxiliary armor adds nothing interesting to the game and presents no interesting decisions. If you find a pair of boots on the ground, there is no reason to not wear them.

I unironically think that choices akin to what UC Ghouls have (use gloves or keep +2 to base damage) would add depth to the game. DCSS could definitely use some effort towards this.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 13:03

Auxiliary armor is not a no-brainer. It balances races and mutations.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 16:15

StupidBerserker wrote:Auxiliary armor is not a no-brainer. It balances races and mutations.

Ah yes, just the other day I had to choose between wearing a hat or not on my troll. If I wore the hat I got +2 AC and see invisible, but if I did that then I wouldn't be able to see that sexy bald head on the tile graphic. I spent a good amount of time deciding on that, definitely not a no-brainer.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 29th January 2017, 16:22

Yesterday I had to choose whether or not to wear gloves on my ghoul. If I did, I got +3 AC. If I didn't, I got +2 slaying.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 17:02

Leszczynek wrote:
Laraso wrote:Auxiliary armor adds nothing interesting to the game and presents no interesting decisions. If you find a pair of boots on the ground, there is no reason to not wear them.

I unironically think that choices akin to what UC Ghouls have (use gloves or keep +2 to base damage) would add depth to the game. DCSS could definitely use some effort towards this.

I agree it's a serious choice.

As would be having inventory slots somehow related to the types of armor you wear... Not that it's a popular suggestion judging from past events.

Unfortunately, these threads and depth exist in often separate dimensions.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 18:11

Midn8 wrote:Yesterday I had to choose whether or not to wear gloves on my ghoul. If I did, I got +3 AC. If I didn't, I got +2 slaying.

It is not very fun to use fsim to make the decision because it greatly depends on UC skill, monster AC, PC AC etc. Also I think you probably overestimate importance of that decision, it is almost irrelevant in most cases. And it's really expected to be irrelevant, +1 damage to monster or -1.5 damage to yourself is meaningless when both you and monsters have dozens of HP.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2017, 20:44

Laraso wrote: The game would be less tedious and require less keystrokes without any of these features; let's completely remove them from the game. If I have to press any more buttons in this game I think I might contract carpal tunnel.

The funny thing is I think the extra key presses prevent carpal tunnel. I tend to get the most hand stress from repetitive motions - pressing tab 200 times in a row is a lot more harmful than typing different letters. What we really need is a chaos mode where the keys are randomized every minute so one minute tab is the f key, and the next minute tab becomes the p key, etc. For all input, for example press ( to equip jewelry. Sure, there's a learning curve, but it'll save so many people's hands.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
jwoodward48ss, stoneychips

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner