Oakenfolk: A Giant Race

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 00:57

Oakenfolk: A Giant Race

The Oakenfolk are a species of tree-like giants.

Being giant-sized, they can walk across deep water, and cannot be trapped by nets or spiderwebs. They also are two sizes larger than nagas, which leaves very few beings capable of constricting them. They have no penalty for fighting in shallow water.

They cannot wear any form of armour or shields.

They cannot use one-handed weapons, which are too small for them to wield.

They have very high strength, very low dexterity, and medium intelligence.

Their fists are exceptionally hard-hitting (like claws 1).

Their bark gets harder over time (with a random chance of adding 1 AC point at every level, reaching their maximum of 12 AC at level 18, and reaching GDR of 30% at the same level, gaining 5% every three levels.)

They resist poison.

They are very very slow (1.8?)

Flat skills at -1 (invo exception?). Not having armour or shields means they will gain other skills faster, though.

What are your thoughts?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 01:19

Re: Oakenfolk: A Giant Race

So with a hat of pondering does this just flat one shot OOF's with slouch?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 01:20

Shtopit wrote:The Oakenfolk are a species of tree-like giants.

Being giant-sized, they can walk across deep water, and cannot be trapped by nets or spiderwebs. They also are two sizes larger than nagas, which leaves very few beings capable of constricting them. They have no penalty for fighting in shallow water.

They cannot wear any form of armour or shields.

They cannot use one-handed weapons, which are too small for them to wield.

They have very high strength, very low dexterity, and medium intelligence.

Their fists are exceptionally hard-hitting (like claws 1).

Their bark gets harder over time (with a random chance of adding 1 AC point at every level, reaching their maximum of 12 AC at level 18, and reaching GDR of 30% at the same level, gaining 5% every three levels.)

They resist poison.

They are very very slow (1.8?)

Flat skills at -1 (invo exception?). Not having armour or shields means they will gain other skills faster, though.

What are your thoughts?

They sound both uninteresting, and also bad. Slow, gimped weapon selection, Low AC, Low EV (even if you add high enough HPs to theoretically make up for the damage they'll take, it's bad because you have to spend so much time resting) GDR with low AC isn't useful.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 01:25

Still better than fox people, and posted in the proper subsection to boot!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 14:15

NhorianScum wrote:So with a hat of pondering does this just flat one shot OOF's with slouch?

I guess you get some benefits in exchange for, uh, "malefits" like being slow. Slouch is limited by piety anyway, so I don't think it can be used too many times in a row.

Anyway, after a little thought:

- limiting to two handed sucks, because of the higher skill these weapons need. I guess it would mean being forced to start with a staff. Since they can't use shields, they also wouldn't get any advantage, just a restriction.

- The defense thing is also true.

So there are two things I thought of.

One is that the species could start the game smaller (large) and gradually increase in size, becoming big at lvl 7 and huge at lvl 14. This would give a few levels to choose the weapon you want to specialize into and allocate some skill there. It would also allow mages to simply go for staves, if they don't want to put too much XP into weapons too early (make an exception for magical staves and consider them two handed). I think it would make the low XP needed e.g. by M&F more relevant.

Armour can be worn, but it works through melding. To see examples of what I mean: https://s27.postimg.org/gfl5whm6b/untitled.png
When you remove the armour, you leave an open wound working like rotten HP. Also, you have deformed body (half AC) and can use shields (half SH, skill at 5 and 10 to remove penalties) with any weapon.

Also, treeform at will?
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:32

Slouch spam on a slow race with faith is effectively infinite. You actually gain piety.

Shields at 2.4 Large shields at 9 is reasonable.

Weapon conduct is unessecary as is the UAC boost. The race naturaly slants to heavy arms and statue. Modify apts to reflect this if you need to. Hell modify apts for flavor if nothing else.

Cape + hat only is still enough armor to actually gain resists and works with the statue slant. Lets not encroach on naga space.

Treeform seems silly since you're already a tree.

Just call em Ent's~
Last edited by NhorianScum on Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:50, edited 5 times in total.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks:
Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 16:34

I thought that was only possible in sprints. I normally can't use more than 4, I think.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 17:16

NhorianScum wrote:Slouch spam on a slow race with faith is effectively infinite. You actually gain piety.

While this is somewhat true, you're seriously overestimating how slow movement speed affects slouch damage. It can't one or two shot OoFs even if you need 50 aut to move a single tile. Even if you can three-four shot a whole pack of OoFs in a 50 aut per tile char assuming that it exists, it's still more trouble than it's worth due to the consequence of the setup you will need.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 18:35

ONIchinchin wrote:
NhorianScum wrote:Slouch spam on a slow race with faith is effectively infinite. You actually gain piety.

While this is somewhat true, you're seriously overestimating how slow movement speed affects slouch damage. It can't one or two shot OoFs even if you need 50 aut to move a single tile. Even if you can three-four shot a whole pack of OoFs in a 50 aut per tile char assuming that it exists, it's still more trouble than it's worth due to the consequence of the setup you will need.

I am aware of how slouch works. The OOF comment is what we often refer to as a joke. In this case an intentional exaggeration of how fucking nuclear a 1.8 base slouch would be.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th January 2017, 18:44

When bad mutations could shorten your legs, was Slouch already there? It must have been quite the thing. I think there was such a mutation, once.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner