The Mutation Game

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 22:22

The Mutation Game

It seems to me that it might be fun to try eating sky beasts and quaffing mutation potions just to roll the dice and see what you get, but I'm hesitant to do it because I do try to win every game. Is there a way to do this that doesn't devolve into elaborate start-scumming?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 22:40

Re: The Mutation Game

The good rule is: don't do that.
The reasoning behind is that almost all good mutations gives actually no relevant benefits, while there's a decent number of bad game that can lead to the death of the char and some other that are quite decremental.

If you really want to try mutations roulette, do in the games where you find at least a couple of !cure muts early on. They're useless until slimes\zot (and by that time mutations aren't ***so*** significant), so you could use them if the roulette go bad without too problems.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 3
Doesnt, stickyfingers, VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 22:42

Generally, if your character is probably going to die, you consume muts to hopefully be able to survive.

At least, that is what I do.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 00:53

The expectation value for mutagenic chunk is almost always negative.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 03:26

Midn8 wrote:Generally, if your character is probably going to die, you consume muts to hopefully be able to survive.
we have different definitions of "generally"

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 13:24

It's worth it if you have a ton ofearly curemut, are horribly mutated, or get absolute shit on by the RNG early on playing naga.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 14:53

I was afraid you all were going to say that.

FR: reduce the frequency of bad mutations from non-Malmutate / non-Contamination enough so that gambling on mutation moves from bad idea to viable-albeit-suboptimal. I know Ds does it "right", but still, gambling can be fun at times if you know you aren't going wipe out your bank account / character.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 15:49

MainiacJoe wrote:FR: reduce the frequency of bad mutations from non-Malmutate / non-Contamination enough so that gambling on mutation moves from bad idea to viable-albeit-suboptimal. I know Ds does it "right", but still, gambling can be fun at times if you know you aren't going wipe out your bank account / character.

I don't know if that's necessary. fwiw, here's my system:

--) only gamble if you have at least two !cure mut.
--) gamble by eating chunks (never drinking potions) until you either get (a) robust, clarity or a useful resist, (b) two or three good-but-not-great mutations (stat bonuses, aux attacks, extra AC), or (c) something you have to cure.

The odds of getting (a) or (b) are pretty decent; as such I think the risk of wasting a backup !cure mut is generally worth it, provided you're willing to deal with neqoxecs/shining eyes by e.g. using summons to block their line of fire.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 16:10

Get as much muts as possible if you are a felid/ogre.
You shall never see my color again.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 16:44

luckless wrote:
MainiacJoe wrote:FR: reduce the frequency of bad mutations from non-Malmutate / non-Contamination enough so that gambling on mutation moves from bad idea to viable-albeit-suboptimal. I know Ds does it "right", but still, gambling can be fun at times if you know you aren't going wipe out your bank account / character.

I don't know if that's necessary. fwiw, here's my system:

--) only gamble if you have at least two !cure mut.
--) gamble by eating chunks (never drinking potions) until you either get (a) robust, clarity or a useful resist, (b) two or three good-but-not-great mutations (stat bonuses, aux attacks, extra AC), or (c) something you have to cure.

The odds of getting (a) or (b) are pretty decent; as such I think the risk of wasting a backup !cure mut is generally worth it, provided you're willing to deal with neqoxecs/shining eyes by e.g. using summons to block their line of fire.

Oooh, I'm gonna try to math this and see what the chances actually are!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2017, 17:51

Forget it. It's a mess.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner