Will all melee weapon classes gain special abilities?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 17:41

Will all melee weapon classes gain special abilities?

I'm wondering if with the addition of Riposte to long blades, other classes will all have something in the pipe...

Let's see, short blades have stabbing bonuses and polearms have reach... Maces don't have much but they have some easy training and useful versus hydrae, not sure if that's enough to balance Riposte.

So in particular, would Staves be gaining abilities later?

It might be fun if Staves had a chance to block or temporarily "trip" (perhaps a one turn Confuse effect) with a probability similar to however riposte is calculated.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 18:43

Re: Will all melee weapon classes gain special abilities?

M&F has the "special ability" of being big. Staves have the "special ability" of being XP-efficient. I think Riposte rounds out the categories nicely; LBl was not very distinguishable from M&F previously.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 19:29

M&F is generally the biggest, baddest weapons you can hold in any class. They also happen to be the most well rounded. Morningstars have 13 base damage, which is more than enough to win a game with, not to mention they're common enough. Eveningstars are overkill. Whips work great with additive brands and the mace will take you out of the early game consistently with its good accuracy and damage. They remind me of the short/longblade combo but without the heavier experience sink and the bonus effects.

Staves are exp efficient and encompass some really cool magical staffs that're sometimes useful.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:04

Its funny, once upon a time axes were big, then swords, now maces
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 21:55

I don't like riposte. I think it's too much like cleaving in its effects, and too similar to the Minotaur's compulsive headbutting. I think parry would have been better (or at least more unique), although I can see the overlap with shields. Riposte good from a gameplay point of view because it kills pop corn without bothering you (which is also something I really appreciate in Reflect), but it would be better if there weren't other mechanics whose effects are pretty much the same.
So I think that cleave and headbutting would have to be changed to make me like riposte.

I personally would have liked it if weapon differentiation had built upon pointy vs slashing vs blunt, with slashing being very good against unarmoured, blunt being very good against armour, and pointy having lower damage overall, but the potential to make damage spikes against both. However, it wouldn't have been as good as the system there is now.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 06:23

Siegurt wrote:Its funny, once upon a time axes were big, then swords, now maces

It's funny, I was initially advised to use maces (because hydrae mostly). I still like them okay (flails are a pretty nice start), though really more so if you get a strong early whip. if you don't, the mid-game training curve is still a little boring for many species. I'm not all that impressed by 0=ish skill bonuses -- yes you can drop something else and play them, but it isn't really all that exciting for me to level them past say 12-14. Unless say you're a human, who just breezes through experience gain.

I still enjoy axes too, but the cleaving is a pretty situational choice. Unless you have a thick defenses background, it's more a desperation measure. I'd say the same thing about oh, picking up a whip with an elf though. When are you ever gonna train the thing. It might get me through to Lair, but I'd probably drop it soon after and pick up something I could actually progress deeper with. For actually training it, just get a dagger already and what the heck, learn stealth with the trouble you save.

I do see the attraction of giving long blades something to make them stand out. I have to admit, I rarely played them before riposte. I'm just not entirely sure if it's a fair balance to give them something quite as strong as riposte without giving other melee weapons something more also.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 10:55

cleaving is great with high ac+ev or ac+sh. can work on octopodes too

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 15:55

Its important to note that unlike the two-handed versions, the one handed maces do considerably more damage than axes. Broad axe is a good bit less damage than Eveningstar. Why Exec Axe/bardiche is more damage than great mace I dunno maybe because of giant clubs, although that would be odd since only two species can use them.

For one-handed single target damage maces is hard to beat, most flat out damaging weapon and possible best fast weapon too (sacred scourge/demon whip). Why two-handed is kinda of meh other than low skill cap at 20 I dunno, I guess a great mace is meant to compare to battleaxe/greatsword jusging by skill caps but then maces is missing a normal sized base damage 18 wep. Being common doesn't really explain this because bardiches are common too and are 18. Two handed mace are in an awkward place, but the 1 damage on great maces is not that big a deal and the excellent one handed options make the skill itself competitive IMO.

If they did add some special thing to maces they would pretty much have to nerf the one-handed things which is probably a bad thing. Having a pure damage option would be the smart thing.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 23:08

17 base dam at min delay for 20 skill is considerably better than 18 base dam at min delay for 26 skill.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 23:30

Dire flails are also pretty easy to master.
You shall never see my color again.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 23:32

Axes are (were) good for slow characters, that cannot get to safe positioning easily without being battered in the process, or when a safe positioning simply isn't available (there's a sprint like that, The Pits, I think, and some places like Lair if you're wandless). I say "were", because long blades now do pretty much the same; maybe a little less damage?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th January 2017, 23:48

Axes are pretty good in Zot now that shifters decide where and how many you are going to fight.
You shall never see my color again.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 00:59

Riposte can never be compared to cleavning in terms of efficiency.

Cleaving: 75% damage
Riposte: 100% x 33% x dodging chance = 10~20% damage
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 01:11

papilio wrote:Riposte can never be compared to cleavning in terms of efficiency.
I agree with this, which is why it baffles me that you compare it to cleaving 2 seconds later

(your comparison only works if you assume the monster attacks exactly as often as you do)

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 01:33

ok, minor correction.

riposte = 100% x 33% x dodging chance x (player atkdelay = 0.7 / mon atkdelay = 1.0 usually) = 8~20%
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 19:34

I think that riposte is far more useful than cleaving in hallways, which is why it is useful.

As for special abilities, M&F has the best 1 handers and Staves has the best 2 hander (Staves gets lajatang of speed, and M&F gets Eveningstar and Demon whip) as far as straight damage goes.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 21:34

Lasty wrote:17 base dam at min delay for 20 skill is considerably better than 18 base dam at min delay for 26 skill.

Making an absolute statement when there is a varying data point is not a great thing to do.

When skill is 27 you statement is wrong. When skill is 20 your statement is correct. Pretending its always correct is ... not convincing and kind of a bad look.

For people intending to max out their weapon skill Great Mace is a poor max tier weapon compared to Bardiche/Exec axe. For people who don't want to spend that much XP is an excellent choice, however this still does not line up to one-handed mace performance, eveningstar is more damage AND caps at 16 broad axe caps at 18 skill. One handed maces are better in every way vs one handed axes, two handed have tradeoffs but are not objectively purely better even if the quote above tries to state that this is so in a definitive manner but this is just quite obviously risable.

Now if you had argued that the better accuracy of -4 vs -6 balanced things out I would not have argued because that is more math than I want to do. But this statement is ... poor.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2017, 22:12

@severen: my point is that you can get excellent damage from great maces for way less XP than a bardiche or exec axe. Arguing against that from the position that some hypothetical player has decided to get 27 weapon skill is like saying CPA is bad armor because a hypothetical player might have chosen not to ever train armor.

Great maces give you significantly better value for your investment than bardiches or exec axes. That is trivially true. If a hypothetical player has chosen to ignore value, that doesn't change that value exists.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 6
duvessa, gammafunk, ichbins, nago, stickyfingers, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner