[poll] does kiting make the game better or worse

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Does kiting make the game better or worse

Poll ended at Friday, 17th March 2017, 03:03

Better
15%
Worse
31%
No difference
27%
Not sure
8%
Kiting is a meme
19%

Total votes : 26

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 03:03

[poll] does kiting make the game better or worse

justify your answer

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 04:52

Re: [poll] does kiting make the game better or worse

It certainly makes this game playable.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 06:38

Worse. It's one of the more tedious things in the game, especially when trying to do things like kite with a spear centaur.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 09:02

if you have ever played a game where you run a ghost(that you are faster than) around in circles for hundreds of turns gradually chipping it down with arrows that barely hurt it for the fat XP it will finally give you at the end, the answer is worse

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 09:39

Kiting is bad because it is not automated.
FR: Add a new command (assign it to "p") so your Centaur with polearm automatically retreats from adjacent monster and attacks the same monster via reaching when possible. Centaur should run around a big pillar in explored area of course
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 10:24

If by "kiting" you mean taking a few steps backwards to not wake up the whole damn floor, the point is moot. It is required to make the game playable in it's current state. Whether that's good or bad - I can only say that I personally don't mind.
So, under current circumstances I went with "Better" because the game would be barely playable otherwise. And the anti-kiting ideas are terrible! If there absolutely must be some form of anti-kiting, I'd prefer the positive route that rewards the player for taking the fight to the enemy rather than the other way around.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 11:32

I think there are at least two types of kiting: the first one is a safe and tedious way of killing monsters that are slower than you. The second one is a tedious but, sometimes, the only way to escape from a dangerous monster with the same speed. For example, if you end up next to an early ogre you can run in circles until the energy randomisation gives you a tile of space so you can safely use stairs.

If the bezotting gets implemented, it'll be nice to have something like Lasty's Adrenaline Rush or an ability that gives a speed boost in exchange for a stat/skill drain. Otherwise I'd prefer status quo.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 12:17

I voted kiting makes the game better but since everyone is talking about kiting as if it was a feature and not a drawback to a actual feature of the game its safe to say its a meme.
The correct question is "does being able to go where you please makes the game better or worse?"
You shall never see my color again.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 14:57

Like VAF said, it's a user interface issue. Kiting takes a good amount more key presses to achieve its goal, compared to straightforward melee. Melee chars just play so much quicker than hunters and conjurers.

I like the idea of a "kiting tab" that moves away from the nearest monster and launches a missile when at range. It could even work with spells, if you'd automatically fire whatever spell is at "a" slot.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 15:03

The only thing making my hunter games take longer is having to spare ammo. Still, they only take 2-4 hours which is pretty close to melee.
You shall never see my color again.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner