Mountain Dungeon Branch (Purgatorio)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 17:15

Mountain Dungeon Branch (Purgatorio)

Hi all,
Just floating an idea as perhaps that might add more variety to the structure of the dungeon. Feedback more than welcome.

My favourite dungeons and levels are those that really capture the imagination. For me the one that does this best is The Shoals. The idea of a multi-storey seaside world is so bizarre and cool, and it's always such a refreshing break from the rest of the dungeon. Personally, I'd love to see more like this in DCSS.

Imagine a branch ending based on the idea of a mountain, where you ascend, rather than descend. Perhaps something loosely based on Mount Purgatory from Dante's divine trilogy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatorio

Treacherous mountain paths, ravines, bridges. There are so many things that could break up the normal rhythm of the dungeon and add something totally different to the game. Although they're all great, I find Snake Pit, Spider's Nest, and Slime somewhat similar. And although the idea of the Elven Hall's is exciting, I find the level aren't particularly immersive.

Anyway, tell me what you think. Has it already been suggested? etc. etc.
Cheers!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 6th January 2017, 22:59

Re: Mountain Dungeon Branch (Purgatorio)

People have suggested this sort of thing before, yeah! You can see discussion e.g. here or, to a lesser extent, here.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
milododd

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 7th January 2017, 04:57

I`d like to see unicorns in the mountains
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 10:32

PleasingFungus wrote:People have suggested this sort of thing before, yeah! You can see discussion e.g. here or, to a lesser extent, here.

I suspected that might have been the case. I looked for it in the rejected concepts graveyard and a few other places and couldn't find much. Good to know though.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 8th January 2017, 10:43

Hmm not exactly exhaustive discussion. People seem more concerned with the issues of what happens at the edge of the map rather than on it. I don't think there'd be any need to simulate things 'falling down the mountainside' at all. I wouldn't have thought interaction between levels of the mountain wouldn't need to be a feature at all. Surely it could operate just like deep water - if you fall off or are pushed off; you're dead.
It would be the perfect habitat for a wind drake :)

Perhaps the suggestion of another 'outdoor' branch to break up the oppressive feel of the dungeon is counter to the idea of a dungeon crawler. But you could always have caves into the mountain-side I suppose. Or it could be worked into the Volcano sub-branch?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner