Variety Should Go To Hell

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 14:51

Variety Should Go To Hell

Right now, the Hells feel a bit like "same old, same old". You drill your seven floors with small or no variation, and reach the huge boss vaults.

I think it would be cool if one floor of each hell, randomly placed above the last one, contained a hell civilization instead.

Dis could contain a Deep Dwarf citadel.

"Amids the smoke, the fires and the curses, Hell Dwarves toil endlessly in the depths of Dis. In their citadel, they forge the metal of which this hellish domain is built. It is a work of incomparable craftmanship, and yet tears run across their cheeks, as they weep their foolishness. For Dispater promised them he'd teach their flesh to heal like that of other mortals, and they stolidly pledged themselves to him. Now, all the riches of the mines cannot make up for their eternal servitude."

The theme should be heavy armour, clerics. Give a high amulet artifact/heavy armour chance.

Tartarus could contain a Formicid nest.

"The Formicids crept into Tartarus slowly and unnoticed, a silent stream of roving legs, carrying their children and their belongings, hiding carefully as they hailed from their unknown homeland. When Ereshkigal saw that an infestation was ongoing, she laughed and, instead of turning them away, she offered the Formicids a permanent home in their domain, savouring how Tartarus would change them in the following eons."

The theme is shields. I think it would be cool if there were such a level for people who like enchanted large shields, which are very very rare. Holypan is quite hard to get to. Maybe give a unique with a randart shield, or give a decent chance of an unrandart large shield appearing.

Cocytus could contain an Octopode civilization.

"The white octopodes are older than Hell. They have lived in the gelid waters since time immemorial, since before Antaeus was cursed to forever dwell at Cocytus' spring. In time, his tears have made the water salty, and huge gaps have opened in the flat white ice that once fully covered the Octopodes' domain. And so, for the first time, they gaze upon the wold outside the surface, filled with hate against those who tread on it, for the misfortune that one of them brought onto their kingdom."

Good chances of ring artifact generation, have the Octopode King as a possible encounter. Have some Octopode with Sap Magic. Mainly spellcasters of all sorts.

Gehenna could contain a Tengu civilization.

"Among the islands of Gehenna nest the Tengu. Because of their bellicose nature and under the guidance of their King, they have fought off Hell's denizens, and made this place their home. They now fly effortlessly across the fiery streams, guarding their domain from demons and common intruders alike."

Medium armour, spellcasters working together with fast melee tengu. Give Sojobo a chance to generate here.

The idea is simply that of giving a level with some variety compared to the rest of the hellish domain you are drilling. Each civilization should have a treasure vault and/or shops.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 17:34

Re: Variety Should Go To Hell

These seem better suited to Pan snce hell effects are... sorta implied to happen to every single living thing that enters that place and pan is a realm of infinite variety that uuuuuh, is 99% bland as fuck.

Also hell is hell so you'll never see them because dive dive dive.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 18:43

Hell has quite a few mortal inhabitants actually: hell hounds, hell knights, the odd ice dragon in Cocytus, and iron giants (but not doom hounds, oddly enough).

For this message the author Doesnt has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th January 2017, 02:24

YOU SHOULD GO TO HELL

e: having now actually read your thread and instead of shooting off the title-hip, i do not think you should go to hell
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
PleasingFungus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th January 2017, 02:49

Arrhythmia wrote:YOU SHOULD GO TO HELL

e: having now actually read your thread and instead of shooting off the title-hip, i do not think you should go to hell

But what if he wants the hell runes?
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 6th January 2017, 14:50

Now I'm just happy that there isn't a user called Variety, wouldn't that have been awkward...

The Pandemonium point is right. I think that the dwarven citadel would still be cool to have in Dis, but the other three would be a nice addition to the unique levels. I think the only one that sets itself apart right now is Holyp? Having a slightly better chance to hop into a new situation would be nice, I especially think that the formicids have some sort of pandemony flavour.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner