Reboot vampires

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 16:31

Reboot vampires

Crawl Vampires want to be a lot of things.

- Spriggan: similar aptitudes, they can also become small and very fast, bonus to sneaking around, see invisible
- Human-like slots
- Deep dwarf: no regen when bloodless
- Trolls: fast regen when alive
- Other undeads: undead traits when hungry
- Mummy: immunity to spell hunger when hungry
- Vine Stalker: healing bite

In theory, this is awesome, but, in practice, this is a mess. Sure, the fact that vampires cannot freely change their status means that they aren't OP, but it also very negatively affects playability. It's a lot of micromanagement, considering that this is a turn game that won't allow you to give individual orders to your summons, and this micromanagement is done with instruments you aren't supposed to use (5 5 5 5 5). There also are a million shades of bonus you need to keep count of.

One proposal could be to greatly simplify vampires. Give them only two or three status, and allow them to vomit blood at will, losing maybe one turn and gaining the vertigo condition for a while. If it were 3 status, status 1 could give all (ALL) alive abilities, status 2 serve as buffer zone to continue berserking or transmutations without them being abruptly interrupted by the decrease in satiation (without allowing to renew them), and status 3 could be pure undead. Delete all other, non undead related changing bonus (stealth, regen, metabolism speed...) keeping the bite (flavour).

However, I think that vampires are easier to start over with completely. This is because there are too many problems related to how vampires would work anyway: playability and item management would still be a pain, if somewhat less. There also is a fair load of overlap with other species, in particular spriggans and vine stalkers. I think vampires should be a unique race, rather than a collection of characters from other races.

So, what do vampires in fiction do?
Vampires:
- Drink blood
- Can temporarily coerce people through magic
- Can turn people into permanent slaves
- Turn themselves into animals

My proposal is to turn vampires into a "pure" undead that can temporarily dominate (like the wand) other creatures. I am not sure of what kind of limiting factor would be best: exhaustion would likely be OK, with more powerful vampires able to use it two or three times in a row.
A second ability, gained by increasing level, is that of permanently dominating other creatures, turning them into permanent allies (vampire spawns or blood bonds or whatever). The calculation of the max creatures you can have as permanent allies should be creature-XP or HD based. So I'd give a vampire the ability to dominate creatures up to a number of HD equal to his level. Like, you're level 5, you can control 5 goblins, or one goblin and two green rats, or one orc wizard and two orcs. Also make it MR based, so you can't become Cerebov's master. The problem, of course, is that HD is a secret number! But I don't think it should be. The difference with Beogh would be the limited number of allies you can gain, the fact that they don't increase in power as they go, and the fact that you can choose them from a different pool.
Keep the vampiric weapons bonus and the restoring bite. If the race becomes too strong, limit the domination number and modify starting stats or HP.
I have no opinions about bat form, although a large part of me would like to remove see invisible from vampire and give vampires from level 8 the ability to turn into a dog with see invisible.

Any thoughts?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:19

Re: Reboot vampires

Hellcrawl vampires are quite good.

The domination steps on evo/divine territory (and by steps I mean curbstomps) and sounds overpowered as fuck.

You missed about 100 things on that list of "vampire powers" the main one being that... killing them is just about fucking impossible, and even killing them does not kill them. This is normally balanced in-games that try to emulate their total list of abilities by introducing the almost unnessecarily long list of weaknesses they have which are all... not in crawl.

Like a classic vampire in crawl would play something like this...

You kill the OOF, you gain 10 levels!!!
You see a pizza, there is garlic in the sauce, placing travel exclusion.
The polearm arbitrarily stikes your heart, you die, welcome back.
The sunlight hits you, you die, welcome back.
The sunlight hits you, it's cool cause it's noon
Rice has fallen you are mesmerized until you count all the grains.
Crazy yuif does not welcome you inside no cloak for you.
You have traveled too far from your grave dirt, go get it and come back fucker.
Entering shoals, placing exclusion (all water).
Mara stakes your heart cuts off your head shoves a mix of lemon garlic and like 14 other things in your mouth shoves you into a funace and scatters the ashes, you die, welcome back!
You see the altar, you are terrified!

Seriously if you've never experience a classic vampire RP/Rougelike. Do not do it.
Last edited by NhorianScum on Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks:
yesno

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:34

Sounds fun, I like it. Maybe vampires could permanently dominate only undead and natural monsters? That should balance things pretty much.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 19:35

Vampires should just be removed since they exist in Tolkien's Silmarillion.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 22:05

There's a reason enslavement is no longer a spell. I'm pretty confident that a better version of it isn't going to become a racial ability ever.

Also, there's also a similar Yred ability that is a top tier god ability.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 09:57

I think that the permanent dominate ability can work correctly, if it is given the right limitations. Limiting it to natural creatures seems like the best choice. It means that it works on a different pool than Yred's, since it would be HD limited, and with a different mechanic. I don't see anything strange in a race with permanent allies as its shtick, if it is balanced in other ways.

The temporary dominate however is overkill.

NhorianScum wrote:Rice has fallen you are mesmerized until you count all the grains.

What if Anne Rice falls to the ground? Are you still mesmerized?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner