Best Artifact Proposal of 2017: +13 staff of silence

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 00:00

Best Artifact Proposal of 2017: +13 staff of silence

+13 staff

3% chance of giving player silence effect on hit

Can be invoked to bestow silence

Silences anyone who criticizes my tavern threads

Why:

- Expose more people to the need to reform the patched together overly complex burning trash fire that is silence

- Force players to become guinea pigs and witness which monsters silence actually works on - hopefully leading to someone finally making a comprehensive guide of all the things silence does and doesnt work on

- Its -cast on a weapon you cant get rid of by just unequipping it which is unique i guess

- None of my proposals have had a tangible impact on the game and who knows, this could be the one

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 05:36

Re: Best Artifact Proposal of 2017: +13 staff of silence

Silence works on enemies that vocalize their spells and doesn't work on the ones which don't. For the most part, it's actually pretty obvious which ones are which. There are like two stages to recognizing who Silence doesn't work on: firstly, you realize demons cast by gesturing, secondly, you realize Mara is a demon. Afterwards, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 07:36

Curse skulls rofl

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 07:51

Curse toes ne1?? Lolol

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 08:17

I agree that curse skull casting text should not be "rattle". I don't remember how curse toe casting is described, but I wouldn't expect a toe to have a mouth.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 2nd January 2017, 12:02

I like the idea in principle, but: being a staff, it's only good as a melee weapon in the early game.
This means that later on, it would be used only as an evocable source of silence: Wield staff, evoke, wield wep.
This is undesirable, ofc, therefore the silence effect would have to go away instantly once the staff is removed, which bypasses one of the shortcomings of silence, the fading away slowly.
But in that case it would become a weapon you'd wield only while being chased by dangerous spellcasters.

IMO, we'd be better served if this was an always-on effect and occupied an armor slot which took a lot longer to equip/unequip than 5 turns. Say, 20 turns.
This would prevent it being abused in the most obvious manners. Ofc, you still could put it on and then obliterate greater mummies with ease. So I dunno. You'd also be prevented from casting, reading scrolls (so, no tele/blink) and praying. It's a dangerous item to wear, perhaps even in tomb.
Make it a helmet. Also, make its effect diameter relatively small, say 5 or 7 squares.
make food great again

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 00:25

Sar wrote:I agree that curse skull casting text should not be "rattle". I don't remember how curse toe casting is described, but I wouldn't expect a toe to have a mouth.

Toes 'gesture', which i guess means bending at the joint? Who knows, it's Zot.

Also, note that silenceability is explicitly mentioned in xv these days.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
Sar, ZipZipskins

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 17:39

Either way, skulls should not rattle as rattle, according to dictionary, means "to give out or cause a rapid succession of short, sharp sounds, as in consequence of agitation and repeated concussions".

Please fix!!!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 4th January 2017, 00:29

Without actually taking the time to look it up, I believe you can "rattle" something that doesn't make a noise when you shake it. And of course there is the idiom of "getting rattled." Neither of which seem to apply to curse skulls, but hey =p

Also clearly the staff of silence should also be AM.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner