Improve Wand Spellpower

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:05

Improve Wand Spellpower

I'm going to pull this out of one of the many wand removal threads because I want to explore it more.

MainiacJoe wrote:Remaining wands just need a better spellpower formula than 15 + 2.5Evo, that's all. And/or an enhancer.

The reason I don't use wands much is because I see too much opportunity cost in investing in Evocations. In the early game, wands etc. don't feel like a reliable enough killdudes that I want to risk investing in Evocations; I'm looking at my weapon or my starting book, and my defenses. By the mid game, I occasionally invest in Evocations, but I always find, after spending the skill poiints and then trying them out, that they underperform the other tactics that my character has been investing the whole game in. As far as I can recall, it has really only been my KoAr^Pak that I ever felt like I got a return on investment for my Evocations skill with--but that was so overpowered that I agree with that god's removal.

Now I get that the one skill gives you a boost on all the various kinds of effects that wands offer. But I feel like the spellpower just isn't there to justify the investment. I mean, I hate getting to 10 Evo when I could have been training Dodging, and then trying to zap a wand at a medium-threat monster and getting, "chance to defeat MR: 20%". By that point in the game, I have a whole lot of more useful things I can do with five turns as an enemy approaches me!

So my suggestion is that the spell power formula for wands be boosted so it can compete as a viable strategic choice for many characters. I think too that an enhancer for evocables would be a good addition (it would make a great gloves ego, IMO). And if these are bad ideas, please explain to me how I can get better use out of evocables as they currently are, for nowadays I'm leaving that whole area of resources that the devs have provided for me on the table unused.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 4
dracos369, Sar, Vajrapani, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 22:45

Re: Improve Wand Spellpower

an evo enhancer ego for gloves would definitely be a better item than gloves of archery. (I still want that name changed.)

I think it is definitely worth it to train evo, but I would not be against a formula where wand power is worse(than current wand formula) at 0 evo but better(than current wand formula) at 5+ evo. I don't think it should be by much though because hex wands are already really good!

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
dracos369, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 13:40

This already came up in the initial dev discussions of the wand changes and is pretty likely to happen soon (it's implemented in a local branch that still needs some more work on other things before merging).

Edit: improving wand spellpower that is, not general Evocations enhancers since those existed with Pakellas but were extremely messy (in the way that different evocables use power/Evocations skill).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 5
MainiacJoe, nago, Sar, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 13:57

I love when you come down a topic chimney and tell us about dev stuff instead of just being like "this thread is like fish and visitors after 3 days, closed"

I mean it's good you do that too but I'm sure it's more fun for you to be wand spellpower Santa Claus than Yuletide Topic Closing Franklin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 17:36

MarvinPA wrote:not general Evocations enhancers since those existed with Pakellas but were extremely messy (in the way that different evocables use power/Evocations skill).

Okay, this makes sense.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner