Remove wands lol

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 01:55

Remove wands lol

What is even the point of wands after removing the big 3? No one is going to invest into evocations just to zap a monster with paralysis or enslavement or shoot a monster with a lightning bolt that will miss anyway. Digging and Disint were probably almost as powerful as the removed wands and are still in the game. Wands are now basically digging and inventory/autopickup clutter.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
mattlistener

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:11

Re: Remove wands lol

tabstorm wrote:No one is going to invest into evocations just to zap a monster with paralysis
I do this, though, and will continue to do so because paralysis/enslavement are really good, and you get enough return out of damage wands(in particular iceblast/acid) to make them worthwhile, and it means if you find rods/evocables/invis cloak down the line they are immediately useful

I know I'm not alone in this as well.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 4
Cimanyd, nago, Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:13

I invested the evo for elemental evokers mostly, the para wand thing was sort of a convenient coincidence. I don't think damage wands are worth the inventory slot except in the early game.
remove food

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:33

So aren't you advocating the removal of Evocations skill instead?

Or is it just a joke? My communication skills are failing me.

Anyway, elemental/summoning evokers except for disc of storms + wand of acid (corrosion debuff) are good to have at all times. Even with 0 Evo I'd still take the acid wand for the debuff.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:35

Direct damage wands are good against early uniques and hydras if you don't have cauterizing alternatives.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 02:43

it's a joke thread my dude. partially.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
Leszczynek, Shtopit

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 15:09

None of the removed wands were a reason to invest in Evo anyway, since their effects weren't affected by Evo. Technically /tele was, but only if zapped on an enemy, which wasn't the typical use case.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 15:51

Sure but wands are sort of in an awkward place right now, in that we have several that duplicate existing spells, one that duplicates a removed spell, 3 that are close to an existing spell (para and ensorcelled hibernation, fireball and iceblast, bolt of X and bolt of acid), and two that are likely to be nerfed into oblivion soon if I am to take crd posts seriously (dig/disint). If anything I think it would be best to just find a way to merge rod effects into wands, reduce max charges, and make them less common while removing the wands that duplicate spells.
remove food

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 19:08

I don't think they're really in an awkward place. Yeah, it might be nice to see them shift a bit farther from things that duplicate spells (and I imagine they will) but overall I think they're all right.

Maybe rods are better mechanically, but honestly, I think there's enough design space for items that can be used a couple times and then recharge naturally versus items that can be used a lot of times but need a consumable for recharging versus items that can be used once and recharge via XP gain.

If anything is awkward now IMO, it's the different interaction of recharging mechanics with wands and rods. Well, that and Disc of Storms but that's weird and fun and forget I said anything
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 19:17

Remaining wands just need a better spellpower formula than 15 + 2.5Evo, that's all. And/or an enhancer.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 2
Brannock, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 19:35

where is bcadren in these dark and lonely times
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 05:17

Rods are probably going to get removed and their spells given to wands, fyi.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sar

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 05:55

duvessa wrote:Rods are probably going to get removed and their spells given to wands, fyi.

Sweet, inventory management decisions are my favourite kind of decisions. Can't wait to have more.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 06:43

hopefully one day we will remove max charge limit on wands and make extra wands picked up simply add charges to current wand, so you can have
wand of flame - 67
instead of
wand of flame - 13/48
wand of flame - 22/48
wand of flame - 17/48
wand of flame - 15/48

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, duvessa, nago

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 07:43

remember when we made elemental evocables stack, and then people started annihilating cerebov with endless phial blasts

wand stacking would be exactly like that, but for wand of flame instead

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 08:15

PleasingFungus wrote:remember when we made elemental evocables stack, and then people started annihilating cerebov with endless phial blasts

Sorry, I don't follow. Stacking is mostly an interface improvement imo. If killing Cerebov with wands of flame was a good idea, people would carry 5 wands of flame and drop some other stuff.

I've never played a version where phials stacked and had separate recharge timers. But when they didn't stack and had separate recharge timers you carried all phials you found. Then they were made to have a shared recharge timer which made carrying more than one obsolete. This has nothing to do with possible wand stacking imo.

Stacking wand charges would be a buff, yes. But even more it would be an interface improvement. You wouldn't have to fetch a new wand when you run out of charges with one. It would be beautiful.

Currently I don't carry one of each wand type in the mid-to-late game anyway. I start dropping the most useless wands one by one after my inventory gets full. Then when my wand of lightning runs out I go and fetch another one if I feel I need it. Traveling back to fetch things is boring.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 08:20

PleasingFungus wrote:remember when we made elemental evocables stack, and then people started annihilating cerebov with endless phial blasts

Balancing a thing by imposing an inventory juggling usability tax on it is pretty shit design.

Making charged items stackable, slotless, nonrechargable, and much more rare would accomplish the same goals without wasting players' time by constantly forcing them to reassess which floorjunk is least relevant.

Crawl's inventory limits are currently too generous for such choices to be interesting.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 5
Cimanyd, duvessa, Lasty, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 08:58

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 7
Amnesiac, dynast, nago, neverEnough, PleasingFungus, prozacelf, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 11:17

Wands of iceblast are pretty solid, hopefully they get removed soon.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks:
n1000

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 15:58

If rods are going to be removed, then we already have one rod converted to wands, it's iceblast.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner