Early game is not important

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 20:26

Early game is not important

That's something I realized recently. The meme goes like that "early game is important because it's hard and if you lose it, you lose the entire game". Makes sense right? Except it doesn't. It only matters if you're trying to streak, and the matter of fact is that most people don't, just like most people don't play optimally. For the majority, dying in earlygame is just losing 5-15 minutes - not a big deal. Thus, early game (and optimal play, which is something not even people using the term unironically engage in) are meaningless and shouldn't be considered for people that just want to win the game, man - which is what most Crawl players are!

It's like Demigods - sure they're good at extremely early game due to high HP, MP and stats, but who the heck cares, a Human has better XP apt, skill apts and will have a god soon. It's not even comparable!
Last edited by Sar on Thursday, 15th December 2016, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 6
Leszczynek, luckless, papilio, Rast, Utis, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 20:28

Re: Early game is not important

Humans are bad too. It is Na and Ds who rule ;)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 20:43

This thread should be renamed "Remove Early Game"
make food great again

For this message the author pedritolo has received thanks: 4
Cimanyd, nago, ThreeInvisibleDucks, ydeve

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 20:54

I like early game though, so how about no?

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:17

Very well then
make food great again

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:19

I don't really care about streaking but I do try to win every game. The early game is important for reasons you already touched on. It's a fun and useful thing to try to get it right, and if you do, not only do you get to play the rest of the game, but the rest of the game is easier!

There's another aspect which I think some people fail to apprehend: If you don't like the early game, then you should try even harder than someone who does! The people who spend the smallest proportion of their crawl playing time in D:1-4 are precisely those people who spend a little bit of extra time thinking on those floors so they make it past them most of the time.

Suppose I really don't care about what happens on D:1-2 so I just mash otab and only survive 10% of the time, but I blitz through in like two minutes.

The expected time to make it past D:2 is now 20 minutes! Only someone who really loves the early game would be willing to play carelessly!

When I started playing I was afflicted with the same bias. I didn't care about winrate, I just wanted to see rune branches, to encounter the monsters deep in the dungeon. It was very frustrating to find myself losing decent characters in Lair, and then having to this stupid ritual of rolling the dice on new characters for an hour until I made it to Lair again.

If you want to practice completing Lair, you should maximize the number of Lair attempts you get over time. In order to do this, and moreover, to have better characters when you do make it to Lair...focus on nailing the early game!

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 7
archaeo, Brannock, Lasty, PleasingFungus, WalkerBoh, ydeve, Yermak

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:27

n1000 wrote:I don't really care about streaking but I do try to win every game. The early game is important for reasons you already touched on. It's a fun and useful thing to try to get it right, and if you do, not only do you get to play the rest of the game, but the rest of the game is easier!

There's another aspect which I think some people fail to apprehend: If you don't like the early game, then you should try even harder than someone who does! The people who spend the smallest proportion of their crawl playing time in D:1-4 are precisely those people who spend a little bit of extra time thinking on those floors so they make it past them most of the time.

Suppose I really don't care about what happens on D:1-2 so I just mash otab and only survive 10% of the time, but I blitz through in like two minutes.

The expected time to make it past D:2 is now 20 minutes! Only someone who really loves the early game would be willing to play carelessly!

When I started playing I was afflicted with the same bias. I didn't care about winrate, I just wanted to see rune branches, to encounter the monsters deep in the dungeon. It was very frustrating to find myself losing decent characters in Lair, and then having to this stupid ritual of rolling the dice on new characters for an hour until I made it to Lair again.

If you want to practice completing Lair, you should maximize the number of Lair attempts you get over time. In order to do this, and moreover, to have better characters when you do make it to Lair...focus on nailing the early game!

Fwiw i autopilot most of my d1-4 games and make it through roughly 80-90% of those, i can bump that percentage up to about 95% if i slow down and pay attention.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 21:27

n1000 wrote:Suppose I really don't care about what happens on D:1-2 so I just mash otab and only survive 10% of the time, but I blitz through in like two minutes.
10% is a very low estimate! You survive playing badly much more often than that, especially with good starts.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:27

If it's a troll then 2 minutes is enough to get you to like D:6 with 90% chance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:45

Sar wrote:For the majority, dying in earlygame is just losing 5-15 minutes - not a big deal.
How are those 5-15 minutes any less "lost" if you survive early game? If I play for 3 hours and then win, haven't I "lost" exactly as much time as I would have "lost" by playing for 3 hours and then dying? The Orb isn't the Fountain of Youth, I'm 3 hours closer to my real life death either way.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
all before, neverEnough

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:51

duvessa wrote:
Sar wrote:For the majority, dying in earlygame is just losing 5-15 minutes - not a big deal.
How are those 5-15 minutes any less "lost" if you survive early game? If I play for 3 hours and then win, haven't I "lost" exactly as much time as I would have "lost" by playing for 3 hours and then dying? The Orb isn't the Fountain of Youth, I'm 3 hours closer to my real life death either way.

Aren't elves immortal?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:53

duvessa wrote:How are those 5-15 minutes any less "lost" if you survive early game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 22:57

You say that most people don't care about optimal play (doesn't exist anyway) or streaks, only about winning the game.

Sar, HOW DOES I WIN GAEM IF I DIE IN THE EARLY GAEM?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:02

maybe try reading the opening post

edit: the early game can just be bruteforced, dying once or twice isn't a big deal

people say ridiculous stuff like "the most important places by which the strength of characters must be judged is pre-Temple" and that's silly
Last edited by Sar on Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
papilio, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:02

removeelyvilon wrote:
duvessa wrote:

Aren't elves immortal?
Yeah, but not invincible. Shortly after you humans finish killing yourselves and all the plants with pollution and global warming, we're going to die too.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:49

Why would you want to autopilot through the best part of the game, though?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 23:53

Actually I think D:1~5 is designed as too difficult.

No, it's not fun nor need to be the best part of the game. Repeating early floors again and again is silly.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:24

Lategame is not important for most crawl players either because they never get there. Checkmate.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
hopelessDelvder, WalkerBoh

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:27

papilio wrote:Actually I think D:1~5 is designed as too difficult.

No, it's not fun nor need to be the best part of the game. Repeating early floors again and again is silly.

I know i will not be good as u in the next 12 months and probably more, but since i disagree take it as just talking about the feeling
Restarting every 5 mins is like factory production. I was used to it in my spriggan tries.
Early D is fun in the part where u pick the best one of ur kitchen garden to meet the taste, and wait for the other fruits to be mature (exclusions, go deeper, stealthy play, come back again). Octopode lessons.
I enjoy the early even when i die whenever it is able to give me some suspance and expectations, pretty the same as when any later game trouble gives the feeling like a big bet in poker. Kitchen Garden Kung Fu is my way :ugeek:

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:41

Hellmonk wrote:Lategame is not important for most crawl players either because they never get there

Replace "lategame" with "postendgame" and you'll have the official Crawl dev stance, actually.

However, this is different. Lategame strength is precisely important because most players' characters only get there rarely, so they want to maximize their chance of winning if they want to win.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:47

asdu wrote:Why would you want to autopilot through the best part of the game, though?
it's not the best part of the game. I'm in no way invested in my character if I don't have any cool toys yet, I only care about playing properly once I get run-defining items

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:55

Sar wrote:
Hellmonk wrote:Lategame is not important for most crawl players either because they never get there

Replace "lategame" with "postendgame" and you'll have the official Crawl dev stance, actually.

However, this is different. Lategame strength is precisely important because most players' characters only get there rarely, so they want to maximize their chance of winning if they want to win.

A significant fraction of players don't even get there at all, ergo those players should actually maximize their midgame (lair-2runes) power to try to reach lategame in the first place.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 00:58

I never said midgame was not important...

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Hellmonk

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 01:08

Well I'm glad we've found common ground on this topic. I think we can agree that the part of the game that's most important depends on player skill and playstyle. Many taverners talk about earlygame mattering the most because they do streak, or play for winrate, or believe that style of play gives a better estimate of objective species balance, or because it's extremely dank to tell people that they should win 99% of all games and that they're baddies for dumping 5 minute investment player ghosts all over early dungeon or ever dying past D:6.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
Sar

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 01:11

who would trade iron rod @ depths for an ice blast in d:2 ?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 02:57

Shard1697 wrote:
n1000 wrote:Suppose I really don't care about what happens on D:1-2 so I just mash otab and only survive 10% of the time, but I blitz through in like two minutes.
10% is a very low estimate! You survive playing badly much more often than that, especially with good starts.

You're right that was too low of an estimate. It looks like half of online games end on the first three floors. In any case, I just made up the numbers to illustrate why it might be worth slowing down if you're sick of playing early game all the time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 07:15

neverEnough wrote:who would trade iron rod @ depths for an ice blast in d:2 ?

I would. I'll have other tools at Depths anyway.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 07:55

Hellmonk wrote:believe that style of play gives a better estimate of objective species balance

I guess that's what I'm having a problem with, yes. I respect people who streak.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 16th December 2016, 16:44

Sar wrote:That's something I realized recently. The meme goes like that "early game is important because it's hard and if you lose it, you lose the entire game". Makes sense right? Except it doesn't. It only matters if you're trying to streak [...]

I agree. I do find the early game the most exciting part of crawl, though. So, I care more about it than about any other part. Lately, I started to C-q some characters post Lair that I found uninteresting but not powerful enough to finish the game on autopilot. I think, that's a good habit for me, it's clearer than suicide-through-not-retreating.
"... while we / Unburden'd crawl toward death." -- King Lear I,1

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 16:44

I find this idea of "lets just make everything early game as stupid as possible since most people just try to tab spam through it" pretty bad.

If thats your logic why not just remove d1-5 and start every pc at lvl 8? If parts of the game are dumb and unnecessary and people just skip through it as fast as possible...... then just remove them.

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks:
zxc23

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 21:27

lethediver wrote:lets just make everything early game as stupid as possible

Early game is great fun, though. It's just not important!
lethediver wrote:why not just remove d1-5

You'll just shift the unimportant phase further. It's not about difficulty, it's about time investment.
Last edited by Sar on Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 21:34

I hope you meant "shiFt" :)

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 21:43

Wow, thanks. Fixed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 22:08

Sar wrote:That's something I realized recently. The meme goes like that "early game is important because it's hard and if you lose it, you lose the entire game". Makes sense right? Except it doesn't. It only matters if you're trying to streak, and the matter of fact is that most people don't, just like most people don't play optimally.

Guess what, most people don't play at all.

Yes, I agree that concentration there isn't that important, a mistake in early game isn't as bad as a mistake in Depths because of time lost to get there. However, unless you like spending 95% of your playing time in D 1-4, then there comes a time in which you have to take it seriously and handle it as important, which, in my view, makes it important.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st December 2016, 22:10

Shtopit wrote:Guess what, most people don't play at all.

That's such a clever and relevant observation!
Shtopit wrote:unless you like spending 95% of your playing time in D 1-4, then there comes a time in which you have to take it seriously and handle it as important

Or you can just take a combo that doesn't suck.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 10:33

From now on im only playing DDFi until they nerf it or rebalance their game.

Im gonna build up a streak and the devs gonna pay for it.
You shall never see my color again.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 16:07

dynast wrote:From now on im only playing DDFi until they nerf it or rebalance their game.

It's like saying "I am going to play on the easiest difficulty level until they nerf it or rebalance the game". Being easy is the point of easiest difficulty setting...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 22nd December 2016, 17:58

Why not just make a difficulty setting instead of tying difficulty into race? race should be about flavor and playstyle, or you would think so based on the stated rationale every time a race is removed.

For this message the author lethediver has received thanks: 3
duvessa, dynast, VeryAngryFelid

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 01:16

easy is a playstyle.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 01:21

Look at n1000 acting like people don't just blow through a bunch of games drunk. =p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 04:14

PleasingFungus wrote:easy is a playstyle.

Not sure. I enjoyed SpAK in my branch when all monsters had triple HP because it was hard yet playstyle was similar to standard SpAK except I couldn't kill many monsters with sleep stabs and had to use distortion much more often (for banishing Orbs of fire, for example).
So as you can see there are several definitions of playstyle.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 04:47

lethediver wrote:Why not just make a difficulty setting instead of tying difficulty into race?

Because some races will always be better than the others - backgrounds have much less influence on the game then races and even here we have some very obvious winners and losers. Might as well embrace it, I suppose, instead of either trying to buff mummies somehow to make them as good as humans and also nerf orcs to make them as bad as humans, or just removing all the races and making some new ones - like "Humans, but with more Int than Dex".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 05:10

Sar wrote:Because some races will always be better than the others - backgrounds have much less influence on the game then races and even here we have some very obvious winners and losers. Might as well embrace it, I suppose, instead of either trying to buff mummies somehow to make them as good as humans and also nerf orcs to make them as bad as humans, or just removing all the races and making some new ones - like "Humans, but with more Int than Dex".

Races are currently unbalanced exactly because there are no difficulty levels. Many other games have races relatively balanced, and classes too. It just does not make any sense to balance races when there are no difficulty levels because that would mean only a small portion of player would keep playing (too hard for beginners, too easy for experienced players).

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 05:16

It seems like even in games balanced for competition there are usually characters and strategies that are considered obviously better. Balancing is hard.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd December 2016, 05:34

Yet the difference is much less than between DD and Mu. My point is that those games make it possible to have very hard game with equivalent of DD of Makhleb or very easy game with equivalent of Mu of Qazlal because it depends more on difficulty level than on race.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th December 2016, 09:07

Sar wrote:It seems like even in games balanced for competition there are usually characters and strategies that are considered obviously better. Balancing is hard.

Yet men still dream, and build their castles in the sand.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner