Remove Halflings

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 01:20

Remove Halflings

Halflings are now a relatively uninteresting species in terms of gameplay, feeling somewhat like Kobolds but with better melee aptitudes. Their theme originates from Tolkien, a source of lore that crawl is trying to borrow less from these days. Their ability to use the sling not withstanding, this particular Tolkien reference isn't particularly interesting.

(Give Deep Elf -1 to Dodge/Shields and 0 to Long Blades)
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks: 8
duvessa, Elf lover, gfgf45550, luckless, nago, Ultraviolent4, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 02:18

Re: Remove Halflings

Elitist wrote:(Give Deep Elf -1 to Dodge/Shields and 0 to Long Blades)

I think they'd be fine with 0 long blades and their current +2 Dodge apt, since they already have reason enough to avoid melee.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 04:13

luckless wrote:
Elitist wrote:(Give Deep Elf -1 to Dodge/Shields and 0 to Long Blades)

I think they'd be fine with 0 long blades and their current +2 Dodge apt, since they already have reason enough to avoid melee.

There isn't a race who's made to balance all three forms of combat (melee, ranged, and magic) while still having the option to use magic for situational support (translo, charms). Which is why I didn't want High Elf removed. They're incredible on paper and mediocre in practice, while holding the semi-unique -10% stat.

I want something like High Elf I can play. Deep Elf is where I start, right?
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 04:16

Deep Elf just sucks. So now you have the option of Human, or if you wanted to use long blades and conjurations, you can use shitty elves. Or Minotaurs. Or Octopodes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 04:20

Elitist wrote:There isn't a race who's made to balance all three forms of combat (melee, ranged, and magic) while still having the option to use magic for situational support (translo, charms).
human
they're like HE but with slightly fewer skill levels and significantly more hit points

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 04:27

duvessa wrote:
Elitist wrote:There isn't a race who's made to balance all three forms of combat (melee, ranged, and magic) while still having the option to use magic for situational support (translo, charms).
human
they're like HE but with slightly fewer skill levels and significantly more hit points

Several +1's, +2's and -1's begin to compound themselves into something more than "slightly" after a while, don't you think? Nobody thought they were "slightly worse humans", everyone thought they were just bad. Felid gets off on the argument of being bad, and everyone hates those.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 05:20

Elitist wrote:Nobody thought they were "slightly worse humans"
i did

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 05:57

duvessa wrote:
Elitist wrote:Nobody thought they were "slightly worse humans"
i did

kuniqs wrote:I agree with -1 in spells, because having -3 everywhere along with poor Int made it veeery hard to play a pure spellcaster Ogre.

Why -1 in Maces & Clubs, though? Did 0 or +1 put duvessa into a nervous breakdown again or something?

I don't know if you're qualified to judge species in this game. Let me rephrase;

Nobody who knew spent time analyzing High Elf in regards of the rest of the cast thought they were "slightly worse humans".

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
papilio

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 06:34

I never analyzed High Elves or whatever, but I played them a bit and my impression was that they sucked pretty hard power-wise. Oh cool, you have all those stats and apts, you also have ~120 HP around Vaults because lolXPapt.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 06:36

Remove all races except Human. A winrate-optimizing player will know that DDBe is the correct choice to optimize his winrate, thus making it a no-brainer. But this still leaves Gods in the game - Trog is a no brainer and so on. So remove gods too. But this leaves another hidden no brainer - killing enemies! You have to kill enemies to get stronger. This is a no-brainer so remove experience. Only through disciplined elimination of no-brainers can Dungeon Crawl Brogue Soup be brought into existence.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 12
Cimanyd, dracos369, Leszczynek, nago, NhorianScum, papilio, pedritolo, ThreeInvisibleDucks, VeryAngryFelid, xXxMemekMaestro69xXx and 2 more users

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 17:49

tabstorm wrote:Remove all races except Human. A winrate-optimizing player will know that DDBe is the correct choice to optimize his winrate, thus making it a no-brainer. But this still leaves Gods in the game - Trog is a no brainer and so on. So remove gods too. But this leaves another hidden no brainer - killing enemies! You have to kill enemies to get stronger. This is a no-brainer so remove experience. Only through disciplined elimination of no-brainers can Dungeon Crawl Brogue Soup be brought into existence.

Killing enemies is not a no-brainer - stale tavern memes, the absolute god-king of crawl, dictates that you never fight enemies. You always run away from them and go upstairs. Always. So getting XP is no no-brainer at all - always running away and never getting experience is. As we all know, you can always run away no matter how fast your enemy is + you don't need experience to win the game.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, Sar

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th December 2016, 17:58

dang... you are right... I have been suboptimal all along
remove food

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner