Bring back Hat of the High Council

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 19:40

Bring back Hat of the High Council

I'm running my best octopode zigbuster so far, and just realized that the Hat of the High Council was removed in 0.19.1.

Rationale from the changelog:
  Code:
Remove the hat of the High Council
It's one of a very large number of mechanically similar unrands that improve
spellcasting in some way at a cost (robe of Folly, hat of Pondering, Majin-Bo,
Maxwell's Etheric Cage) and probably has the least interesting downside
of them (and orange crystal plate is also similar in practice, since it has
Archmagi but reduces success by virtue of being CPA).

Well, it was the only wearable Archmagi item for an octopode, and I don't agree that there are "a very large number" of those :sadface:.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks:
papilio

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 20:45

Re: Bring back Hat of the High Council

I expect part of the reason it was removed it because it was relevant to extremely few characters outside of megaziggers. Oh, it was a +2 hat, guess that's useful if you aren't wearing a vanilla +1 helmet. If it were to be brought back, it could give both archmagi and wizardry to make it generally useful to spellcasters... but that's basically the same as a big int boost. Which already comes on hat of pondering and several other headgears.

Hmm, how about this:

the +0 hat of the High Council
- Reduces spellcasting time by 20% (.2 aut, or .1 aut when hasted)
- Reduces spell cost by 20% (-1 MP for level 5 and up spells, like the old Veh ability except for all spells not just destructive)

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
dracos369

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 20:48

IMHO add MP regen and -10 slaying to encourage a new playstyle.
Or give +0.3 move delay to make it kill characters sometimes.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 20:52

We already have a fixeded hat that gives mp regen and a fixedart hat that increases move delay

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 3
dracos369, duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 21:59

Octopodes can wield staves and several intelligence granting rings. Also hats can boost INT too. I think those more than make up with the archmagi ego.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 22:01

I'm a bad mind-reader, so I'll take the rationale for removal at face value.

It was the only Archmagi item an octopode could wear, Archmagi items are rare, so I think the rationale is incorrect. And I have worn the hat with an octopode before, outside of zigs, it increases AC from Statue Form and makes other spell more powerful as well. So IMO, it was a good item.
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 22:08

Sphara wrote:Octopodes can wield staves and several intelligence granting rings. Also hats can boost INT too. I think those more than make up with the archmagi ego.

Because of the stepdowns, Int by itself doesn't help spellpower all that much without 1.5x from Archmagi.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 22:26

enhancers and int are both applied before stepdowns. having 50% more int is the same as one enhancer

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 22:49

Sure, I meant that after certain point, 1.5x spellpower is way better than any Int item.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 22:51

It's almost impossible to max spellpower without Archmagi.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 23:32

i love how majin-bo is so crappy that you can claim it literally doesn't exist and nobody will call you out on it

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th December 2016, 23:34

duvessa wrote:i love how majin-bo is so irrelevant that multiple people are saying it literally doesn't exist

Well, it is vampiric, so it's pretty annoying to use with a staff of energy, and also it's two-handed so you'll lose all of SH, which is a pretty big penalty.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 00:01

duvessa wrote:i love how majin-bo is so crappy that you can claim it literally doesn't exist and nobody will call you out on it

By the way, nobody has claimed that in this thread, so you're the Donald Trump of Tavern.

For this message the author ThreeInvisibleDucks has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, chequers

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 00:27

I probably never found that hat when playing an octopode. I could still imagine preferring +3 Int hat for -Wiz and moderately high stealth penalty just to get the archmagi ego. I can understand it being good for some late zig wipers ofc.

Majin-Bo is just a deathtrap. There are probably some Makhleb characters that can make something good out of it, I dunno (examples needed). Nevertheless, I would drop that thing faster than the High Council hat.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 02:08

I have a soft spot for High Council because it made this Irridate ghoul possible. I think Irridate was also removed at some point.

7 Hashes of spellpower at 12 base int.

b - Irradiate Conj/Trmt #######... 5% 5 #####..

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 02:11

crawl is straightedge, buddy

take your pot references elsewhere
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 16:20

the statement "It's one of a very large number of mechanically similar unrands that improve spellcasting in some way at a cost" is flat out wrong.

Archmagi is the only way to enhance a fairly large number of schools. Even with massive Int (example: 60 int) and max skills you still need 2 enhancers to get max spellpower. None of those other hats come close to doing the same "mechanical" thing.

Now if there was some way to enhance transmutations like there is for Ice or Fire. Fine sure I could buy the justification. But there is not. Fire and ice can get 4 enhancers (staff, chest AM, rings). Air/earth/necro/summoning/conjurations/necro can get two due to specific staves. Charms/trans/hexes etc can only get one enhancer via the chest or possibly the Majn-bo staff.

The problem with the stated justifaction is "improve spellcasting in someway" so stupidly broad as to be meaningless. The spellpower formula works in a certain way with multiple factors involved in it. Additionally spell casting has two resources to manage and a fourth factor of spell success. Lumping them all together is dumb. Sorry, that is a blunt statement but there is no other way to say it accurately.

Trying to say that the MPregen/bonus of etheric cage is mostly comparable to Archmagi shows a complete lack of any perspective. Name me a god that helps you regen MP? You can name several. Name me a god that does the same thing as Archmagi? None unless you count the two that give an Int bonuses. Even worse attempting to analyze the value of AM versus +MP/MPregen is heavily dependent on spell school. An FE doesn't need enhancers anywhere close to as badly as a Hexer (or whatever).

For this message the author severen has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, papilio

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 17:22

Etheric cage is even more garbage than majin-bo, to the point of being irrelevant to its target audience (spellcasting characters) even when it does generate

Success rates are definitely comparable to Archmagi/enhancers. Both have the same tactical effect in the end: your conjuration spells do more damage/turn, your summoning spells summon more/better things/turn, your hexes apply more often, etc.
The main difference is that because the spell power returns for training skills are godawful, in practice a success rate boost tends to mean that you train spell skills less, whereas Archmagi does not. This isn't an interesting difference (it doesn't introduce any real decisions) and should be looked at as yet another unfortunate artifact of a badly scaling skill system, rather than a way to save a redundant unrand.
I am surprised that the commit message doesn't touch on what, to me, is the biggest reason to remove the hat: it's the only instance of negative wizardry and it would be great to get rid of negative wizardry since negative wizardry is an unnecessary feature.
I'll agree that MP recovery/capacity isn't comparable to archmagi, but only because archmagi is useful everywhere, and MP recovery/capacity is only a meaningful restriction before Lair and in ziggurats.
severen wrote:Charms/trans/hexes etc can only get one enhancer via the chest or possibly the Majn-bo staff.
Why do you need enhancers for these schools?

But let's suppose all this stuff you're writing is correct and the rationale for removing the item was stupid. You still haven't justified why the item should exist in the first place. If the item doesn't have a compelling reason to be in the game in spite of the complexity it introduces, then it should be removed anyway.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
chequers, nago, removeelyvilon, VeryAngryFelid

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 17:50

duvessa wrote: You still haven't justified why the item should exist in the first place. If the item doesn't have a compelling reason to be in the game in spite of the complexity it introduces, then it should be removed anyway.

Well that didn't stop player ghosts from existing, now did it...

OHHHHHHHHHHHH! *MLG sound effects*

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 18:06

Having archmagi does mean you stop training magic earlier, because of spell power stepdown and other skills becoming more valuable.

Edit. That's basically standard "Offense first, defense next" with offense coming online earlier.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 18:27

Conjurations, which are very overpowered and uninteresting, require only sitting at a distance, binding Fireball to d, and hitting zdzdzdzd to cast repeatedly. No interesting decisions - always wear the item that increases damage/MP! Very little positional play, just MP accounting. Summoning - even more unfair. Just cast spells and hit .........., wait for enemies to die. Sad! Hard to justify these features' existence. Should be removed!
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 3
chequers, Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 18:41

severen wrote:max spellpower.

read: Win More.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 18:44

tabstorm
Sad but true. After playing Age of Wonders 3 tactics in crawl looks so bad :(

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 22:37

duvessa wrote:Etheric cage is even more garbage than majin-bo, to the point of being irrelevant to its target audience (spellcasting characters) even when it does generate

Success rates are definitely comparable to Archmagi/enhancers. Both have the same tactical effect in the end: your conjuration spells do more damage/turn, your summoning spells summon more/better things/turn, your hexes apply more often, etc.
The main difference is that because the spell power returns for training skills are godawful, in practice a success rate boost tends to mean that you train spell skills less, whereas Archmagi does not. This isn't an interesting difference (it doesn't introduce any real decisions) and should be looked at as yet another unfortunate artifact of a badly scaling skill system, rather than a way to save a redundant unrand.
I am surprised that the commit message doesn't touch on what, to me, is the biggest reason to remove the hat: it's the only instance of negative wizardry and it would be great to get rid of negative wizardry since negative wizardry is an unnecessary feature.
I'll agree that MP recovery/capacity isn't comparable to archmagi, but only because archmagi is useful everywhere, and MP recovery/capacity is only a meaningful restriction before Lair and in ziggurats.
severen wrote:Charms/trans/hexes etc can only get one enhancer via the chest or possibly the Majn-bo staff.
Why do you need enhancers for these schools?

But let's suppose all this stuff you're writing is correct and the rationale for removing the item was stupid. You still haven't justified why the item should exist in the first place. If the item doesn't have a compelling reason to be in the game in spite of the complexity it introduces, then it should be removed anyway.

I actually don't care if they remove the hat I was simply stating the justification is extremely poor. They can choose to remove 20 unrandarts that i have absolutely no use for and don't care about and say its because they smell like poo and I would still say that I don't see how they can have a smell when they are computer code in a computer game and that the thinking behind these actions was probably flawed and possibly involved LSD. Unless this game has a smellovision feature I don't know about in which case I would be wrong.

My point is that not that an AM hat is necessary, rather that lumping all the artifacts that help spellcasting into one box is so simplistic as to be actually harmful. I have literally never found the Hat of the High council. Fine remove it all my games are the same.

Enhancers for Hexes do help since the power goes against MR. For charms yes its not a big deal(mostly), for transmutations it matters for a various things but not all (statue form AC, petrify same as hexes, etc), for translocation it often does not matter but for lesser beckoning it determines range.

As a general design principle if a spell has spellpower players should consider an enhancer for its school as desirable. If you have spells that have spellpower in a school but no one cares about enhancers for that school, then you have almost certainly failed to design the spell to have a meaninful effect that scales with spellpower. In practice this does not always turn out (SP is very minor for many charms for example). I would say the spellpower of the spell confuse is fairly important and therefore a Hexes enhancer is important. If an entire schools is designed with the idea that enhancers are not a thing for it, then it would probably be best to design all spells in that school with an upper limit of 150 for spellpower and not 200. Right now as it stands getting discord to 200 spellpower is quite rare as it basically requires two archmagi pieces (barring extreme cases like Ds Augmentation). Why is it so hard to get discord to 200 but so much easier to get glaciate/fire storm to 200?

Now from a practical standpoint it could be the case that going from 150 SP in Discord to 200 means very little because anything that has the ability to affect would rarely make a MR save against it at 150. Does this mean that enhancers shouldn't exist for Hexes, who most certainly very much want spell power in the early game? Or does it mean that the Spellpower max of 200 on an enhancer-less school makes very little sense, given that spellpower 200 is pretty clearly not intended to be achieved without enhancers?

Consider for a moment that Controlled Blink was changed to have the same range based on spellpower that lesser beckoning currently has. Would it matter whether there was a Translocation enhancer? Of course it would. Is it gonna matter for winning the majority of 3 rune games? No probably not. But consider that most people would never get to 200SP for max range cblink. Perhaps it would be wise to have the max range occur at 150?

Why create cases that are basically not meant to happen? As it stands right now with the way the spellpower equation works and the normal practical limits on Int for characters, having any spell in the no-enhancer schools that has a spellpower cap past 150 is essentially pointless. For the most part this is not a serious practical issue in the game, but clearly something not lining up right.

Nor am I arguing that max spellpower is necessary. Almost no one gets max spellpower, the stepdowns after 150 are pretty huge. But there is a max spellpower it exists as part of the game and its possible to get there. I have a character that can get max spellpower glaiciate right now that can do it without archmagi. But that character can't max spell power lesser beckoning with using hat of the high council and majin-bo since he is an Op and can't wear a body slot AM. Why is this? Seems odd to have less beckoning go out to SP 200 and for all practical purposes require two enhancers to get to SP yet have no enhancers. Things don't add up. Do I need lesser bekconing at SP 200? No I have 15 runes and did 27 levels of a zig on that character with lesser beckoning at 100-ish SP.

The justification of the commit basically says they are all roughly the same which is objectively wrong. Without hat of the high council an Op can never get max spell power on lesser beckoning. And there is no effect in the game that can be considered equivalent to adding range onto this effect. When you remove this you make this admittedly almost pointless corner case literally impossible without getting about mmm I think 80 int and having the majin-bo. But an Op can easily get the same effects as ether cage. They can also get a ton of wizardry since that is on rings.

I can see an argument with, for example hexes, where going from 50% to 66% sucess rate is very similar more MP you cast less time for one so its like having more MP (ignoring wasted time for simplicities sake). A similarargument might be made for success rate or damage (again ignoring the extra time issue). But in the lesser beckoning (this is true for flame tongue as well but the spell power is so low it doesn't matter also its fire so it has tons of enhancer options) case above this argument cannot be made. Either they are in range or they are not. No other spellcasting buff can be considered similar in effect.

When you remove the hat of the high council you remove certain game mechanical scenarios from being achievable therefore the justification of the commit is objectively proven to be totally false. These scenarios may not really be that important, but that does not change the fact that the thinking behind this is flawed.

A broader point can be made that the real issues is spellpower's formula and the way the various enhancers are itemized. That is fine with me I have no problem with that line of thing. If spellpower and enhancer itemization worked differently then the commit justification could actually have very well been fine. But it doesn't. One way to look at this is to flip it around and say that those things need to change so that whoever does the itemization changes can actually analyze the effects without going insane.

I am NOT arguing there should be enhancer rings for every school. Merely that stating that because of the item current setup vs spellpower caps/effects there are kludgy issues that are occuring. Personally I think because AM is actually really hard for a dev to cost out on an unrandart. Its value is so highly variable and contextual due to the current mish mash of SP caps and species slots mis-matched enhancers availability that its complete guess work. I am not surprised at all that a dev can easily get bitten in the ass by this.

For this message the author severen has received thanks: 3
Cimanyd, papilio, pedritolo

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 6th December 2016, 23:23

Why does it need to be possible to reach 200 spellpower? If the cap was 250 would you be arguing that every spell school needs access to at least three enhancers?

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
Rast

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2016, 08:48

You simply can't attempt to rationalize bringing it back when the reason it was removed was irrational in the first place. "least interesting" huh lmao

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2016, 16:02

Crawl is clearly designed for everyone to only play Ds and quit if you don't get Augmentation.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 7th December 2016, 16:43

Airwolf wrote:Crawl is clearly designed for everyone to only play Ds and quit if you don't get Augmentation.
PbD

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner