"Poison Is Deterministic"

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 04:32

"Poison Is Deterministic"

So, as near as I can figure, this basically means that backing up your saves and reload-scumming to survive poison no longer works. Correct?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 04:35

Re: "Poison Is Deterministic"

Depends if you back up and save before or after you get hit by the poison.

Also, if you want to cheat, just hit & in game, it's much easier.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
Knight9910, Lyrick, MIC132

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 04:40

Arrhythmia wrote:Depends if you back up and save before or after you get hit by the poison.

Well, yeah, but that's CHEATING. :p

For this message the author Knight9910 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 04:54

It means it's determined when you get hit instead of random over-complicated levels and it being determined by tick after.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 07:20

Knight9910 wrote:
Arrhythmia wrote:Depends if you back up and save before or after you get hit by the poison.

Wasn't it what you were asking for ? ;)
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 16:31

fr: save-scumming instantly kills your character

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks: 3
gammafunk, MIC132, Viashino_wizard

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 16:47

I think save-scumming is much better for learning purposes than wizard mode is. You still need to recognize dangerous situation, exit game, save folder, run game, load save. It is time-consuming and I believe no player wants to do it constantly so he still tries his best to play in conventional way.
Wizard mode allows brainless play which is not that good for learning, crawl becomes a shooter ;) I tried playing in wizard mode just once and it didn't meet my expectations, maybe because I felt I didn't really need to care about taken damage.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Klown

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 01:09

mopl wrote:
Knight9910 wrote:

Wasn't it what you were asking for ? ;)

I was joking. :roll:

Sandman25 wrote:

I think save-scumming is much better for learning purposes than wizard mode is. You still need to recognize dangerous situation, exit game, save folder, run game, load save. It is time-consuming and I believe no player wants to do it constantly so he still tries his best to play in conventional way.
Wizard mode allows brainless play which is not that good for learning, crawl becomes a shooter ;) I tried playing in wizard mode just once and it didn't meet my expectations, maybe because I felt I didn't really need to care about taken damage.

Agreed.

Also, since I've been playing with the new system I have to say poison definitely seems WAY less irritating now. Getting poisoned for a low level character used to be a death sentence. Much less so now.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 04:15

if shooter brings "mindless play" to mind to you you must've not played any shooter worth a damn

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, Bloax, cerebovssquire, duvessa, Knight9910, MIC132, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 05:23

Oh, yeah, the shooter thing. The part I was agreeing with was the "wizard mode is stupid" part. I did save scumming for a while because it helps to learn how to play the game. I still back up saves occasionally just because my luck is so horrible, but really don't need it.

As for shooters, that definitely depends on the shooter. Some of them can get pretty repetitive and mind-numbing, particularly the cover-based ones. (Because the ability to utilize cover makes the game easier because there's less chance of getting shot, they compensate by sending more enemies and making them harder to kill. Pop-tarting half a clip into every one of 100 enemies for 20 minutes is not fun to me.)

But of course you have to remember "shooter" means more than just Call Of Duty and the like. "Shooter" also refers to Shmups, and if you got a problem with them then we can take this outside. :p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 16:14

The last first-person shooter I played was Duke Nukem 3D, back in middle school when that game was a thing. I save-scummed literally every room, and sometimes I made another save or two partway through the room. If I took damage, that was a reset. If I wasted ammo, that was a reset. If I missed a jump, that was a reset. I got to the end of the game, but the process wasn't much fun at all, and it soured me on FPS in general even though it's definitely not those other FPS games' fault.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th April 2014, 19:09

only way to play Descent is cold start each level, no saves

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner