What is this tournament thing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 10:12

What is this tournament thing

NewDwarf here, can someone explain please?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 10:51

Re: What is this tournament thing

A tournament is an event for the unwashed masses to celebrate a new and better version of the reality we live in : crawl.

What's special:
- you can be in a team. Not only single players can win but also teams. It is part of the divide and conquer strategy of the developers to keep us players struggling among us instead of uniting against the powers.
- you can win banners for special achievements like: doing tomb with the orb in your pockets which means you'll be attacked by countless Pan Lords in addition to greater mummies. This is a clever move to direct the energy of the most talented players into deadly adventures instead of asking the question: why aren't we paid for this ?

I could go on and on but I think you've understood by now what this 'tournament' is about.
Opium for the masses.

Besides that it is fun and will end somewhen.
You can see a very detailed list of the points you or your team has accumulated. You can look at your banners and how many uniques are still unslain.
While the tournament is active you can also watch a lot of players doing strange things like going into Dis (banner) with hardly any equipment so it is not only for the amusement of 1 player but also entertaining for everyone.
There are extra points for streaking so you can see good players struggle to decide whether they should spam games to get more wins vs. playing more slowly to keep that streak alive.

All of these points awarded will - of course - result in a high score table.
Ever thought that this player Yermak is sitting undeserved on #2 in http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/best- ... score.html ?
You think that is no wonder because he started years ago ?
Now is your time to show who is a better player within a fair frame of time !

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, CypherZel, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 13:17

Sheeeeeeit time to stop fucking around with TrFi^Dith and get wins

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 13:30

Welll, you get points for wins based on rarity of race, background, god determined by the time you get the win.
This means (for getting points) you start with MiBe of Trog ...unless you think that by the time you've won that combo you won't get many points for it anymore. In this case (getting more points for wins) you should better try a win with MuEn of Nemelex or something like that.
The value of wins with Gr, Mi, Fi, Be, Oka, Trog, etc. drops to a very low amount very fast.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 13:39

Nebukadnezar wrote:The value of wins with Gr, Mi, Fi, Be, Oka, Trog, etc. drops to a very low amount very fast.

Fuck those are the only things I can win ;_;

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 14:04

If you do join a clan then playing the tournament will make you a better player. Well it does, if you do want your team to succeed.

Happened to me a long time ago.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 14:22

Nebukadnezar wrote:Welll, you get points for wins based on rarity of race, background, god determined by the time you get the win.
This means (for getting points) you start with MiBe of Trog ...unless you think that by the time you've won that combo you won't get many points for it anymore. In this case (getting more points for wins) you should better try a win with MuEn of Nemelex or something like that.
The value of wins with Gr, Mi, Fi, Be, Oka, Trog, etc. drops to a very low amount very fast.

Points are calculated when you start your MiBe game. So it does not matter how many MiBes will be won while you are still playing it. That's why some players start several easy games simultaneously (MiBe, GrGl, VSFi etc.), on different servers of course. Not sure if the same works with gods (I assume it does)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 14:37

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Points are calculated when you start your MiBe game. So it does not matter how many MiBes will be won while you are still playing it. That's why some players start several easy games simultaneously (MiBe, GrGl, VSFi etc.), on different servers of course. Not sure if the same works with gods (I assume it does)

Oh, thanks.
I thought it had to be calculated by the time a game is won because even games which were started before the tournament begins are valid for the tournamnt.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 14:44

Nebukadnezar wrote:I thought it had to be calculated by the time a game is won because even games which were started before the tournament begins are valid for the tournamnt.

Now I learned something new. Are you sure? I cannot find answer in rules.

Edit. Probably not.

All version 0.19 games played fully during this time period on any of the public servers will automatically count for the tournament.

Edit1. The same works with gods:

1.5*(48+T)/(2+G) points (rounded up) for a win with a given god if T is the total number of games won in the tournament before the start of the win in question and G of those T were with the given god.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 14:50

I started a game before the official begin of a former tournament (0.17 or 0.18) where it did count towards the tournament when I got the win.

For this message the author Nebukadnezar has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 15:20

Sphara wrote:If you do join a clan then playing the tournament will make you a better player. Well it does, if you do want your team to succeed.

I don't actually have any friends who play this game, I also don't think I will be a good candidate for a team since I don't have many wins (7) and I'm quite new

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 15:34

Cypher, do you have an account over on bay 12? (The dwarf fortress forums)

They always field a few teams each tournament, including teams intended for less experienced players, even players who've never even gotten a rune.
I play for them on their champions team, we tend to place fairly well, but they've got open slots on a few of their teams if you are interested in signing up. It does make it a bit more fun to play on a team I think.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 15:38

CypherZel wrote:
Sphara wrote:If you do join a clan then playing the tournament will make you a better player. Well it does, if you do want your team to succeed.

I don't actually have any friends who play this game, I also don't think I will be a good candidate for a team since I don't have many wins (7) and I'm quite new

Ask.
Even if you don't win a game you can still accumulate team points by killing player ghosts :)
And forget what I wrote on top about points/etc.
The point of the tournament is to have a silly name for your clan.
That's all ;)

You can also create your own clan like: 'none of us has more than 10 wins and we are proud of that!'
It might attract players who are like-minded :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 15:43

That's my problem with clans. I played much more time than I enjoyed, 6+ hours after work every day, almost all weekend (12+ hours every day)because I felt responsible to get as many points as possible for clan, not just for myself. Feels like a job :( Never again, I am too old to lose health with impunity

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 16:10

Playing crawl seriously with crap combos does actually feel like work. But maybe this tournament will make me take it seriously and stop trying to imol scroll V5 every time I get there and throwing away games haha

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 17:33

If you use reddit, you can find a team through this.
remove Siegurt's signature

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2016, 17:46

Playing for the Bay12 teams has definitely made me a better player - now I am just crap, instead of truly rubbish. Its fun, and the responsibility towards my clan brethen does indeed make me a bit more careful, a little less likely to do something really stupid. These days, I usually just try to get one basic victory (whether its a MiGl or a SpEn, whatever) on the board and then feel freer to relax :).

(((My very first tourney representing Bay12 I set myself the 'challenge' of getting the first Gelatinous Body banner - getting 9 (was it 9?) distinct RC combos to level 9 felt almost impossbile - I had to plan it out carefully. Those were the days)))

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner