Is hell crawl already better then stone soup?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 14:57

Is hell crawl already better then stone soup?

This is a question for those who have played a good deal of both games, not me trying to hold a contentious position in an argument. I feel like HC for me is the better crawl version because it removes the worst part of crawl which is the over saturation of levels. Even with the cuts a lot of crawl is just retreating to a nice corner and pressing tab, playing a decent PC, crawl really only has a few challenging parts of the game that make it difficult and the rest is just a tab fest to get to those points of the game. I like how he'll crawl is trying to make the entire game difficult (although I think later dungeons aren't hard enough, feels the same as regular crawl) the removal of food is something that a lot of tavern players wanted as well. Overall the fork appeals to the hardcore tavern audience which is something that the devs don't really do (they fuckin hate us) which is fair since we are just a vocal monitory. So I just want to ask if anyone feels the same as me at this point in time, and if so why. Also if you think it isn't better I would like to hear why as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:07

Re: Is hell crawl already better then stone soup?

Pros:
1) No hunger
2) Harder middle game, less popcorn
3) Difference between hard and easy characters is increased
4) Numbers are displayed (most damage, AC/EV/HP, it was fun to see stats of monster from box of beast)
5) More meaningful strategic decisions, you won't have XP for everything you want

Cons:
1) Changed balance of gods (not strictly a bad thing though)
2) Changed balance of items (not recommended to play if you hate Abyss because you are more likely to be banished due to less MR items and lower XL)
3) Removed rune lock (not strictly a bad thing though)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:16

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Pros:
1) No hunger
2) Harder middle game, less popcorn
3) Difference between hard and easy characters is increased
4) Numbers are displayed (most damage, AC/EV/HP, it was fun to see stats of monster from box of beast)
5) More meaningful strategic decisions, you won't have XP for everything you want

Cons:
1) Changed balance of gods (not strictly a bad thing though)
2) Changed balance of items (not recommended to play if you hate Abyss because you are more likely to be banished due to less MR items and lower XL)
3) Removed rune lock (not strictly a bad thing though)

You didn't actually answer the question but it's cool

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:20

You mean question "Is hell crawl already better then stone soup?"?
For me it is better, for other players it can be worse.

I hoped it is clear from my first message that I share your opinion about hellcrawl.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:27

Are Valencia oranges already better than Cara cara oranges?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:31

I believe the question OP is actually asking is "which version meets your interests better?"

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 17:09

ehm... what is hell crawl? :shock:

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 17:10

don't worry, it was explained a couple of posts below... ^^

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 17:42

For me hellcrawl is better, largely due to foodlessness (the game flows much better without it).

Disclaimer: I've only played OP characters in hellcrawl (e.g. HOfoo, fooBE). It's possible that some characters that are fun but weak (like DEFE) have become too hard. But I know nothing about that.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 17:49

njvack wrote:Are Valencia oranges already better than Cara cara oranges?

Having eaten both, no.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 13:24

No food alone makes it much, much better.

But yeah. Hellcrawl is crawl with 2x strategic/tactical interestingness, and 1/5th the amount of keypresses... what not to love?

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 14:36

there must be something not to love there because it's been done before as Crawl Light at least, and that was years ago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 15:53

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:there must be something not to love there because it's been done before as Crawl Light at least, and that was years ago

Not at all, dungeon crawl stone soups doesn't appeal to a lot of tavern players anymore and the devs just don't give a fuck.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 16:32

CypherZel wrote:
HardboiledGargoyle wrote:there must be something not to love there because it's been done before as Crawl Light at least, and that was years ago

Not at all, dungeon crawl stone soups doesn't appeal to a lot of tavern players anymore and the devs just don't give a fuck.

i think, it's more likely that the devs prefer conservative incrementalism to radical changes than "don't give a fuck", but whatever keeps your inner narrative working i guess
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
archaeo, dracos369, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 16:41

CypherZel wrote:

good golly gosh, beulah, it's almost like tavern players aren't the only people playing the game!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 16:44

CypherZel wrote:.which is fair since we are just a vocal monitory.

For this message the author CypherZel has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:17

Op can you change the rules of your post so you need to have played both games to respond at all, not just to make an initial comment

Should clear up some of the more ignorant responses Im seeing

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:21

lethediver wrote:Op can you change the rules of your post so you need to have played both games to respond at all, not just to make an initial comment

Should clear up some of the more ignorant responses Im seeing

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was asking opinions from those who have played good deal of both I guess people just can't read

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:40

I haven't played hellcrawl at all, but I still have an uninformed opinion based on comments I've seen other people make.

So in my opinion, the answer is... choko.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:42

I don't think experience is necessary for having opinion nor even necessarily correlated with the quality of that opinion.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:52

Yeah, having some idea of what you're talking about is wildly overrated. Uninformed opinions are the truest ones.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:54

You don't necessarily need experience to be informed, though (I'm talking about hands-on e.g. playing)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:57

Ah, I see what you're saying. Fair enough, you can be informed without directly experiencing something. Although it's tough to say in this instance if one version or another is better without actually playing both versions.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st November 2016, 20:59

tough? difficulty is relative, e.g. something I find difficult may be trivial for duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 16:34

CypherZel wrote:
CypherZel wrote:.which is fair since we are just a vocal monitory.

Are you suggesting that I actually read your original post instead of skimming the thread?

Which is to say sorry for calling you beulah, I missed that

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 19:37

oh and why do you think we are a vocal minority? we are vocal and few crawl players are vocal on tavern, yes, but that is inevitable. But even when I never visited tavern, but had put a lot of hours into Crawl, and was very bad, and didn't get far - even then I knew the game was way too long. Perhaps the majority of players haven't consciously thought this, I don't know, but after all, most people are just playing games for fun and not paying attention to the flaws. If the game's not fun, possibly from being too long, they put it down and move on, with perhaps some good memories, which leaves them with good impressions, BUT that does not mean that that state of the game was better than an alternative like hellcrawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th November 2016, 22:54

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:oh and why do you think we are a vocal minority? we are vocal and few crawl players are vocal on tavern, yes, but that is inevitable. But even when I never visited tavern, but had put a lot of hours into Crawl, and was very bad, and didn't get far - even then I knew the game was way too long. Perhaps the majority of players haven't consciously thought this, I don't know, but after all, most people are just playing games for fun and not paying attention to the flaws. If the game's not fun, possibly from being too long, they put it down and move on, with perhaps some good memories, which leaves them with good impressions, BUT that does not mean that that state of the game was better than an alternative like hellcrawl.

Fwiw i have never thought the game was too long, and still don't. Opinions are just that.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Sar, Sprucery

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 04:50

Yah really, when i play a junk wanderer i'm so glad there are plenty levels in normal crawl. When i play strong stuff i just skip like 25-50% of the game and it's still fun.

What sets hellcrawl appart is nofood and some more numbers. That's the good stuff that's hooking me up hard, i just don't understand why that's not in the main game, it's so much more fun!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2016, 04:57

Siegurt wrote:Fwiw i have never thought the game was too long, and still don't. Opinions are just that.

Well, I don't think the game is too long, I think there is too much XP so it becomes boring late game even with most of hard combos (except FeBe and alike). Maybe it means I do think the game is too long ;)

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 6th November 2016, 02:45

i didn't peek the code, but .. having 2 different behaviours of the same game is pretty doable. I mean there could be a new menu entry "Hellcrawl for tough people" in the main window.
Hellmonk may consider to check the prerequisites to turn hardcoded behaviours as inner game settings and call for peons ;)
I'm pretty far from tryin Hellcrawl tho, still in trouble with octos.. my best one OpEE^Ash died in Zot:5 due to noobish set of rings without rF :oops:

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner