Are hot dogs sandwiches?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 05:57

Are hot dogs sandwiches?

The question that's sweeping the nation, are hot dogs sandwiches? Keep in mind: a hot dog is at the least a piece of meat between two slices of bread.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
n1000

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 06:00

Re: Are hot dogs sandwiches?

A hot dog (also spelled hotdog) is a cooked sausage, traditionally grilled or steamed and served in a sliced bun as a sandwich. Just ask wikipedia next time, op. It has all the answers you need.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 06:33

Everyone can edit wikipedia to match their agenda, though.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, dracos369

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 06:43

It's a sandwich if the bun is split into 2 pieces but a taco otherwise.
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

For this message the author pubby has received thanks: 2
luckless, Reptisaurus

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 06:45

Sar wrote:Everyone can edit wikipedia to match their agenda, though.

everyone knows jimbo wales is in the pocket of big hot dog....... check out infowars dot com.... fly away troll!!
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Cimanyd, Zooty

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 06:48

The word "butty" (a reference to the fact that butter is often used in British sandwiches) is common in some northern parts of England as a slang synonym for "sandwich", particularly to refer to certain kinds of sandwiches including the chip butty, bacon butty, or sausage butty, though some people make the distinction that a butty is made using a single buttered slice, folded over rather than cut. "Sarnie" is a similar colloquialism. Likewise, the words "sanger" and "piece" are used for sandwich in Scottish dialect; regarding the latter, an example of the use of "piece" is "piece and ham", meaning "piece of bread and ham".

what the hell is wrong with people
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 07:55

Sar wrote:Everyone can edit wikipedia to match their agenda, though.

I checked conservapedia's entry on "hot dog" and those morons put ketchup as the first condiment

The question is moot because kolaches are obvs superior
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 08:31

pubby wrote:what the hell is wrong with people

u wot m8

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 10:37

pubby wrote:
The word "butty" (a reference to the fact that butter is often used in British sandwiches) is common in some northern parts of England as a slang synonym for "sandwich", particularly to refer to certain kinds of sandwiches including the chip butty, bacon butty, or sausage butty, though some people make the distinction that a butty is made using a single buttered slice, folded over rather than cut. "Sarnie" is a similar colloquialism. Likewise, the words "sanger" and "piece" are used for sandwich in Scottish dialect; regarding the latter, an example of the use of "piece" is "piece and ham", meaning "piece of bread and ham".

cultures are weird, man. Thanks though because this finally explains one of my dad's obsessions ("It has bread, gotta have butter") :)
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 14:55

No. The hot dog is a member of the same genus as the burrito, the taco, and the gyro. In order for a combination of sliced bread and filling to constitute a sandwich, it is necessary that the slices of bread remain parallel to each other--such that the object in its entirety can lie flat--rather than conform to the shape of the filling (as the hotdog bun conforms to the shape of the sausage).

I think there was something in Aristotle about this.

For this message the author luckless has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, dracos369

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 15:14

Actually, the sumerians figured this out years ago.

1. A hot dog is just the sausage, so by itself it is certainly not a sandwich.
2. A hot dog in a hot dog roll is still called just a hot dog, and is its own thing, and thus not a sandwich
3. A hot dog in a folded piece of bread is a sandwich, in the same way a "submarine sandwich" is a sandwich.

While these rules may seem quite arbitrary, the ghosts of the mightiest sumarian warriors will defend them for eternity.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 15:51

"Hot dog" is masculine, "Sandwich" is feminine.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
BabyRage

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 18:17

Are you joking, gyro meat served in a pita is a sandwich. It's called a gyro sandwich for crying out shit.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 18:45

look, I'm sure you can find someone who CALLS a gyro a "gyro sandwich." I bet you can even find someone who calls two slices of pizza slapped facedown together a pizza sandwich. that doesn't make it right.

I mean, there are MANY things that are called sandwiches and yet are in no sense sandwiches. (of these, many are kinda NSFW but imo that's instructive.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 18:51

offtopic

I was surprised when I saw "grinder" in a menu for the first time since I knew the word from crawl only.
American/Mexican terms are hard for foreigners with all those sandwiches, burgers, hoagies, wraps, gyros, burritos, tacos, quesadillas and triple-decks :(
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 19:16

luckless wrote:look, I'm sure you can find someone who CALLS a gyro a "gyro sandwich." I bet you can even find someone who calls two slices of pizza slapped facedown together a pizza sandwich. that doesn't make it right.

I mean, there are MANY things that are called sandwiches and yet are in no sense sandwiches. (of these, many are kinda NSFW but imo that's instructive.)

Like islands. Or Earls.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 19:34

i have it on good word from archaeo that this question NEEDS to be answered, and the losing side will all be banned.

good luck!
take it easy

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 21:40

VeryAngryFelid wrote:offtopic

I was surprised when I saw "grinder" in a menu for the first time since I knew the word from crawl only.
American/Mexican terms are hard for foreigners with all those sandwiches, burgers, hoagies, wraps, gyros, burritos, tacos, quesadillas and triple-decks :(

I guess you don't listen to Meshuggah,
During this period, Thordendal, who was working as a carpenter, severed the tip of his left middle finger, while Haake injured his hand in a grinder accident.[2][11] As a result, the band was unable to perform for several months. Thordendal's fingertip was later reattached, and he went on to make a full recovery.[4] The Selfcaged EP was recorded in April and May 1994, but its release was delayed to later in 1995 due to the accidents.[2][4]

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 22:08

no, op

hot dogs, sandwiches, tacos, burritos, all that shit, they're all their own distinct things and do not overlap.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 22:09

if a man handed me a hot dog and said "here's your burrito" I would throw it in his fucking face

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 22:10

ZipZipskins wrote:Are you joking, gyro meat served in a pita is a sandwich. It's called a gyro sandwich for crying out shit.
no, it's not called a "gyro sandwich", it's called a "gyro"

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 22:35

Shard1697 wrote:
ZipZipskins wrote:Are you joking, gyro meat served in a pita is a sandwich. It's called a gyro sandwich for crying out shit.
no, it's not called a "gyro sandwich", it's called a "gyro"

I'm vomiting

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 22:46

pubby wrote:

Best shut the fuck up about gods own country you git

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th October 2016, 23:25

This man says that tacos are in fact a type of sandwitch (as are hot dogs on buns, gyros etc)

He works for the food network though, so he might have his own agenda:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/sandwich-king.html
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 00:03

he's wrong and a bad person

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 00:21

I wonder if he would call castanets "a sandwich of wood and music, to be held in one hand".

Also, we need a sandwitch vault in shoals. Its denizens attempt to kill you by squeezing you between sand walls.

Also, he's playing with your minds because his name sounds like "Chef Mauro" but is actually Jeff Mauro.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 00:54

Wrote this theory up a while ago. There are a few assumptions that I would address more directly if I were to rewrite it.

Define 'cutting planes' as the set of geometric planes that pass through the unit under question that divide the unit into natural subsections, such as slices or halves, for serving.
For sub sandwiches and hot dogs, the cutting planes would run along the length of the unit (translations along the secondary axis), whereas for regular sandwich types, pies, or pizzas, the cutting planes would run radially around the unit, passing through the center (rotations about the primary axis).

Define the 'primary axis' as a line which is parallel to each cutting plane. Additionally, the primary axis or some translation of the primary axis along the secondary axis must be contained in each cutting plane.
Most primary axes will be downward ('into' if viewing from above) and straight through the center. This may not be true for some types, like a hardshell taco, which sits upright perpendicular to its primary axis (which is through both sides of the shell).

Define the 'secondary axis' as a line perpendicular to and intersecting the primary axis. Its orientation matters only for things like subs which have cutting planes that are translations along the secondary axis. For pizzas or pies or other types cut radially, there is no distinction between the secondary and tertiary axis. Note that the position of the secondary axis along the primary axis is not specifically defined, rather it is set as needed for fulfilling condition 2 of the following sandwich definition.
The secondary axis of a hot dog is straight through the meat. The orientation of the secondary axis for a hamburger is through the meat at any angle.

Define the 'tertiary axis' as a line perpendicular to both the primary and secondary axes, and intersecting both. Once the other two are defined this one is easy to grasp, as there is only one line it could be. Note that the height of the tertiary axis is necessarily linked to the secondary axis' height.

Define 'bread' as an edible foodstuff which is generally used to make holding or containing the filling easier. It will usually be a wheat or other starch product, but this is not necessarily true. Do not confuse this term with the dictionary definition of bread.

Define 'filling' as a set of edible things, each of which cannot be the same substance as the bread in any given case. The set may contain meat, lettuce, and cheese, for example.

Now, with the definitions out of the way, we can get to the theory:

Something is a sandwich if it satisfies either of these two conditions:
1. The primary axis passes through bread-filling-bread (it may pass through filling-bread-filling-bread, etc. so long as it passes through that combination anywhere).
2. The secondary axis passes through only filling, and the tertiary axis passes through bread-filling-bread. Note that the height of the secondary axis is not set, as previously mentioned. So long as any possible height of the secondary axis along the primary axis works, this condition is satisfied.

And here are some examples:

A traditional sandwich is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A wrap is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A calzone is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A hot dog is a sandwich (by condition 2)
A hard-shell taco is a sandwich (by condition 2)
A pizza is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
An open (no crust on top) pie is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
A regular (non-filled) doughnut is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
An open-face sandwich is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
A closed (crust on top) pie is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A filled doughnut is a sandwich (by condition 1)
Cake with at least one layer of embedded frosting is a sandwich (by condition 1)

Admittedly, it attempts to be axiomatic but some of the examples at the end can be hard to stomach. So maybe the ruleset is in need of further work.
limboring→optimal sanity = 0

For this message the author Veras has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, CypherZel, ydeve

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 01:56

it's a common misconception. a hot dog is actually a fruit

For this message the author CanOfWorms has received thanks: 3
prozacelf, tasonir, ydeve

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 03:02

if it has meat and bread and it's portable and the restaurant calls it a sandwich then its a freakin sandwich you god damned nerds :p

Next time I eat a cornish pasty I will briefly consider whether it counts as a sandwich, then remember that I don't give a shit because playing Definition Police about sandwiches is a complete waste of time

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 03:20

It's an exceedingly pervasive waste of time, and while the subject matter is a bit silly, make no mistake that some people take it very seriously - an apt description of crawl as well :D

For this message the author Veras has received thanks:
dracos369

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 03:28

A hot dog is a kind of tapeworm that evolved to resemble an edible object so that it can easily gain access to human intestines, where it reproduces.

After you eat a hot dog, its eggs will hatch in your digestive system and 2-3 weeks later the baby hot dogs will crawl out of your anus, place themselves on any conveniently located kitchen table, and wait to be eaten in order to repeat their life cycle.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 04:40

is anything anything? :? :? :?
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 04:51

Croases wrote:A hot dog is a kind of tapeworm that evolved to resemble an edible object so that it can easily gain access to human intestines, where it reproduces.

After you eat a hot dog, its eggs will hatch in your digestive system and 2-3 weeks later the baby hot dogs will crawl out of your anus, place themselves on any conveniently located kitchen table, and wait to be eaten in order to repeat their life cycle.
this sounds like an SCP description

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 07:17

Veras wrote:Wrote this theory up a while ago. There are a few assumptions that I would address more directly if I were to rewrite it.

Define 'cutting planes' as the set of geometric planes that pass through the unit under question that divide the unit into natural subsections, such as slices or halves, for serving.
For sub sandwiches and hot dogs, the cutting planes would run along the length of the unit (translations along the secondary axis), whereas for regular sandwich types, pies, or pizzas, the cutting planes would run radially around the unit, passing through the center (rotations about the primary axis).

Define the 'primary axis' as a line which is parallel to each cutting plane. Additionally, the primary axis or some translation of the primary axis along the secondary axis must be contained in each cutting plane.
Most primary axes will be downward ('into' if viewing from above) and straight through the center. This may not be true for some types, like a hardshell taco, which sits upright perpendicular to its primary axis (which is through both sides of the shell).

Define the 'secondary axis' as a line perpendicular to and intersecting the primary axis. Its orientation matters only for things like subs which have cutting planes that are translations along the secondary axis. For pizzas or pies or other types cut radially, there is no distinction between the secondary and tertiary axis. Note that the position of the secondary axis along the primary axis is not specifically defined, rather it is set as needed for fulfilling condition 2 of the following sandwich definition.
The secondary axis of a hot dog is straight through the meat. The orientation of the secondary axis for a hamburger is through the meat at any angle.

Define the 'tertiary axis' as a line perpendicular to both the primary and secondary axes, and intersecting both. Once the other two are defined this one is easy to grasp, as there is only one line it could be. Note that the height of the tertiary axis is necessarily linked to the secondary axis' height.

Define 'bread' as an edible foodstuff which is generally used to make holding or containing the filling easier. It will usually be a wheat or other starch product, but this is not necessarily true. Do not confuse this term with the dictionary definition of bread.

Define 'filling' as a set of edible things, each of which cannot be the same substance as the bread in any given case. The set may contain meat, lettuce, and cheese, for example.

Now, with the definitions out of the way, we can get to the theory:

Something is a sandwich if it satisfies either of these two conditions:
1. The primary axis passes through bread-filling-bread (it may pass through filling-bread-filling-bread, etc. so long as it passes through that combination anywhere).
2. The secondary axis passes through only filling, and the tertiary axis passes through bread-filling-bread. Note that the height of the secondary axis is not set, as previously mentioned. So long as any possible height of the secondary axis along the primary axis works, this condition is satisfied.

And here are some examples:

A traditional sandwich is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A wrap is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A calzone is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A hot dog is a sandwich (by condition 2)
A hard-shell taco is a sandwich (by condition 2)
A pizza is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
An open (no crust on top) pie is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
A regular (non-filled) doughnut is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
An open-face sandwich is not a sandwich (fails both conditions)
A closed (crust on top) pie is a sandwich (by condition 1)
A filled doughnut is a sandwich (by condition 1)
Cake with at least one layer of embedded frosting is a sandwich (by condition 1)

Admittedly, it attempts to be axiomatic but some of the examples at the end can be hard to stomach. So maybe the ruleset is in need of further work.

I consider any definition by which cake is considered a sandwich axiomatically correct.

https://youtu.be/8TxHp5UvzYw
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 08:36

yes

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 11:42

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 15:10

a mistake

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
ydeve

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 29th October 2016, 16:51

Compare
  • "BLT sandwich": It sounds redundant, but you would not interpret it as anything other than a BLT
  • "Hotdog sandwich"" You know exactly what this means, and it is not a standard-configuration hotdog
Ergo, a hotdog is not a sandwich.

Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote:Obviously a hotdog is not a sandwich, and there is absolutely nothing else to say about this question or about what it would mean to answer it.

For this message the author phloomp has received thanks:
luckless

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 04:05

Veras wrote:Wrote this theory up a while ago. There are a few assumptions that I would address more directly if I were to rewrite it.

Wow that's an incredible amount of effort for fuck-all, have you been to or considered graduate school

duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 04:48

ZipZipskins wrote:

Wow that's an incredible amount of effort for fuck-all, have you been to or considered graduate school

if he's saying shit like cakes are sandwiches than i can take a fucking guess
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 5
dracos369, luckless, scorpionwarrior, Shard1697, ZipZipskins

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 07:50

Arrhythmia wrote:
ZipZipskins wrote:

I explained that per this theory, Cakes are in fact "frosting sandwiches" to my wife, she approved, so I'm satisfied from my limited polling that this is correct (within the margin of error of this particular poll)

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 15:20

Arrhythmia wrote:
ZipZipskins wrote:

the really depressing thing for me is that I have been to graduate school and now my life is basically made up entirely of conversations where half of the people give answers like Veras's and the other half give answers like phloomp's and each half thinks the other half is just spouting pseudo-profound nonsense that wastes everybody's time.

maybe that's why I love this thread so much.

For this message the author luckless has received thanks:
ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 15:27

Look, a sandwich!

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 16:02

phloomp wrote:Compare
  • "BLT sandwich": It sounds redundant, but you would not interpret it as anything other than a BLT
  • "Hotdog sandwich"" You know exactly what this means, and it is not a standard-configuration hotdog
Ergo, a hotdog is not a sandwich.

Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote:Obviously a hotdog is not a sandwich, and there is absolutely nothing else to say about this question or about what it would mean to answer it.

I don't think anyone could disagree with the notion that the sausage/weiner/frank alone can't be considered a sandwich, but that is not the meat of the issue, so to speak. The subject of discussion is the 'hotdog sandwich' in your parlance, which despite the linguistic cues has not had its sandwich-hood decided upon. Most use the phrase 'hot dog' as synecdoche for 'hot dog sandwich' in the first place, so this qualification shouldn't seem unreasonable.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 16:42

Your argument doesn't address the [I]difference [\i]between "BLT sandwich" and "hotdog sandwich". BLT is synecdoche as well.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 17:19

phloomp wrote:Your argument doesn't address the [I]difference [\i]between "BLT sandwich" and "hotdog sandwich". BLT is synecdoche as well.

I didn't address it since I don't think it adds anything. Yes, 'hot dog' refers to two things ('frank/weiner/sausage' and 'hot dog sandwich') whereas 'BLT' refers to one thing only ('BLT sandwich'), but the subject of the question 'Are hot dogs sandwiches?' usually addresses 'hot dog sandwich' - or if you think it doesn't, we should change our conversation since that is a much more interesting one! :mrgreen:

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th October 2016, 18:35

if anyone told me irl that a wrap, calzone, hot dog, taco, pie or cake is a sandwich I would kick them in the balls on the spot

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 02:55

Shard1697 wrote:if anyone told me irl that a wrap, calzone, hot dog, taco, pie or cake is a sandwich I would kick them in the balls on the spot

You sound like fun at parties

scorpionwarrior

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 03:42

I consider hot dogs to be in the same family as hamburgers.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 31st October 2016, 03:59

Here's the thing. You said a "hot dog is a hamburger."

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner