So I was toying around with Wiz mode...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 18:23

So I was toying around with Wiz mode...

...and I found my way to branches that aren't supposed to exist yet in 0.8.1. Specifically, I ended up in Dwarven Halls, Spider Nest (not the portal vault, but a branch), and the Enchanted Forest. They are definitely not finished, but it was interesting to see what was coming up.

Dwarven Halls used the wall tiles from Crypt but had a floor that looked like brown marble. It was filled with Deep Dwarves, Deep Dwarf Necromancers, Deep Dwarf Death Knights, and had a few Deep Dwarf Berserkers, all of which liked heavy armor and big heavy weapons like axes. They can't regenerate. It only had one level and my passage out of the entry room was blocked by deep water. Leaving the branch via stairs takes you back to D1.

Spider Nest isn't really much of a nest (yet). It felt more like the insect Lair. It had five levels and the branch layout is currently similar to the main dungeon but uses the Lair floor and wall tiles. It had a lot of insects, everything from easy stuff like roaches to Emperor Scorpions and Redbacks. There were far fewer foes per level than the portal vault Spider Nest. Spider:5 didn't have any special features or extra loot yet. There are not any up stairs on Spider 1.

Enchanted Forest was home to Spriggans and a lot of animals, like wolves and bears. Spriggans were stupidly quick and were heavily armed with short blades. I also ran into Spriggans riding Fireflies and you could actually kill the Spriggan seperately with the Firefly still living. There were also Spriggan Druids who could summon bears and wolves and also through around beams of light which only seemed to do damage. I also ran into a single Spriggan Air Elementalist who had Lightning Bolt and Air Strike. The layout seemed to vary between a boring, multi-room layout with small corridors, seperated "bubbles" sort of like Orcish Mines, a huge, maze-like level, and one level that had a big clearing. This level, like Spider, uses the Lair tiles and doesn't even have trees yet. It was five levels deep with Forest:5 being unremarkable currently. Forest:1 will crash DCSS and going there via stairs on Forest:2 will make the player exit the dungeon and finish the game.

Curious if these are accessible in Trunk and if they're farther along. Mac doesn't have the latest 0.9.0 trunk. Not even close. :cry:
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st July 2011, 20:24

Re: So I was toying around with Wiz mode...

Spriggan Forest vaults with Spriggan riders, berserkers, etc. can replace sections of deep D in trunk.

Also there can be random Spriggan druid sections in Lair.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 11:07

Hey, so there is still NO Spriggan Forest in stable yet? Ghh!
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 11:29

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Hey, so there is still NO Spriggan Forest in stable yet? Ghh!

0.8 does have the Spriggan Forest level, if you really want to see it. It can generate anywhere between D19 and D26 inclusive. There's also a Lair ending involving spriggans.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 15:18

Wait, you can actually find the stairs in the main dungeon in 0.8.0? Would that do any good since entering since Forest:1 either crashes the game or takes you out of the dungeon?
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 15:41

i don't know what plans there are for the future, but the spriggan forest is currently available not as a portal or a branch, but a large vault which spawns nearly all of a dungeon level. i have not seen it yet in 0.9 but it definitely was there in 0.8 trunk.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 16:50

Yeah, the spriggan forest mockup is still there as an occasional full-level vault in late D, I think.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 19:54

We have to define which "thematic scenarios" are worthwhile of becoming a branch, a portal or a large vault in D. For now AFAIK just the spider nest is going to be a branch. The basic difference is that branch and portals are optional to go while a large vault is mandatory to go through, portals are a single visit level once you leave you cannot return while branches are stable features.

There are some proposals to have god-themed scenarios/vaults, others to give room to kenkus and I would like to see octopi if eventually they are promoted both as a player species and a monster. Are there more ideas ?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 22nd July 2011, 20:54

I saw the Spriggan Forest a few days ago (at least I think that's what it was)!! I also found the Spriggan druid guy a while back, both very cool.
I'd really like to see some more branches, as I'm pretty used to the current ones, especially if they were ones that didn't always show up every game. I'd quite to see DCSS get to the stage where there were no 'constant' branches like Lair, Orc or Hive, but instead different branch 'lines' (for instance Sprig Forest, Elf, Dwarf) as I think that would be the time when it really starts challenging you in long term tactics instead of working towards being able to clear the constant branches.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 23rd July 2011, 14:09

The problem is to ensure that the set of alternative branches is balanced enough in terms of risk/reward for the depth of the level. Then you will have a similar degree of difficulty yet with different scenarios. Currently this only is attained with the Shoals/Snake pit/Swamp.
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner