Good gods and chaos weapon.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 08:36

Good gods and chaos weapon.

Please let good gods use chaos weapons so I can play Chaotic Good aligned character. TSO and Ely can just remove draining, poisoning and polymorphing into bad forms from chaos weapons in the way like they prevent you from getting evil allies by summoning creatures.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 15:15

Re: Good gods and chaos weapon.

ololoev wrote:Please let good gods use chaos weapons so I can play Chaotic Good aligned character. TSO and Ely can just remove draining, poisoning and polymorphing into bad forms from chaos weapons in the way like they prevent you from getting evil allies by summoning creatures.

The "good" gods in crawl are all lawful (well evy might arguably be neutral)

I am sorry to say that none of the crawl gods are what i would call "good" in the rpg good/evil/lawful/chaotic terms.

I suspect that since crawl gods are entirely concerned with action, and good/evil is mostly about motivation, that crawl gods are pretty much entirely oblivious to mortal notions of good and evil.

Therefore, you are free to have good motivations for your character to worship, say, xom or lughnu, if chaotic good inclinations.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 16:28

I'm personally quite fond of these kinds of "thematic" elements so I'd hate to see the restriction go. Maybe an argument could be made for adding a "good" god whose less particular about such things, though it'd obviously need some unique mechanics and powers to go with it as well.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 21:44

Ely doesn't hate poison and neither Ely/TSO hate polymorph anyway. Zin is probably more lawful than good so he should hate chaos weapons. Just remove draining and reaping from chaos weapons would be enough to make them work under Ely, and additinaly poison and they would also work under TSO (Although the hex effects would be super annoying under TSO). Better way to think of it is your chaotic good aligned character doesn't need a chaos weapon to be chaotic.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 02:27

I always felt that Ely was Neutral good, Zin lawful good, and TSO chaotic good. All non-evil gods have their own motives and are true neutral.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 03:00

Midn8 wrote:I always felt that Ely was Neutral good, Zin lawful good, and TSO chaotic good. All non-evil gods have their own motives and are true neutral.

Whereas I would put TSO as Lawful good, Zin as Lawful Neutral, and Ely at probably true neutral.

I would say that TSO is anything but chaotic, imposing probably some of the stricter rules on behavior (not to mention being fairly transparently modeled after DnD paladin gods)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 04:05

Siegurt wrote:I am sorry to say that none of the crawl gods are what i would call "good" in the rpg good/evil/lawful/chaotic terms.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

From Ayn Rand's point of view, perhaps all Crawl gods are good.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 04:24

Rast wrote:
Siegurt wrote:I am sorry to say that none of the crawl gods are what i would call "good" in the rpg good/evil/lawful/chaotic terms.

Only Gozag would be good from Rand's perspective tbh.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 07:34

i was thinking about writing a lame response and then i closed my eyes for a bit and i had this momentary vision of like, a spinning pinwheel, except it wasnt quite a pinwheel but idk how to describe it so here's a quick recreation of what it looked like that i made in blender (the colors and perspective are quite accurate to what i saw, in my vision it was spinning but im too lazy to animate it).
the reason i mention this is that the movement looked super ultra smooth, like, think of the difference between seeing something at 30 FPS and 60 FPS, it felt just like that except it was more like the difference between 120 FPS and 12000 FPS and this totally weirded me out for like 3 seconds but then i got over it

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 08:02

duvessa wrote:the difference between seeing something at 30 FPS and 60 FPS

So, none?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 08:10

I'd like if all the random effects were filtered for the gods so that everyone could use wands of random effects, rod of clouds, chaos weapons, and whatever I've forgotten. I'm always disappointed when I find a rod of clouds and my god frowns on it because of a possible but rare result.

(Don't forget that Dith hates all of these items, too.)

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 2
Cimanyd, VeryAngryFelid

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 16:59

Sar wrote:

So, none?

we can only see 24fps anyway
Formicid Lyfe

For this message the author Dungeoneer has received thanks:
Elitist

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 17:18

Rast wrote:

Well, it isn't my personal opinion, it is my interpretation of the d&d rpg notion of good/evil/lawful/chaotic terms.

gary gygax wrote:Law implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include closed-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, judgmentalness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should.

Chaos implies freedom, adaptability, and flexibility. On the downside, chaos can include recklessness, resentment toward legitimate authority, arbitrary actions, and irresponsibility. Those who promote chaotic behavior say that only unfettered personal freedom allows people to express themselves fully and lets society benefit from the potential that its individuals have within them.

Someone who is neutral with respect to law and chaos has a normal respect for authority and feels neither a compulsion to follow rules nor a compulsion to rebel. They are honest but can be tempted into lying or deceiving others if it suits him/her.

Good implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

Evil implies harming, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient or if it can be set up. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some malevolent deity or master.

People who are neutral with respect to good and evil have compunctions against killing the innocent but lack the commitment to make sacrifices to protect or help others. Neutral people are committed to others by personal relationships.

If Ann Rand makes a roleplaying game, and i play it, i will be sure to comment on how i think crawl gods fit into her rpg morality system.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 17:24

She's dead =(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 17:33

Sar wrote:She's dead =(

A creative endevor from beyond the grave would be that much more interesting, don't you think?

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 04:09

i just found out today that jack chick died so let's all take a moment to appreciate Dark Dungeons one last time

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 08:18

Man, that's just like my real life! Jack Chick was a prophet!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 08:47

If you die in Crawl, you die for real.

There is no afterlife, only the Tavern.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 09:47

Dungeoneer wrote:
Sar wrote:

So, none?

we can only see 24fps anyway

the difference between smoothness of 24/30 fps and 60 fps is obvious, what are you smoking

or am i being memed on
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 13:49

Siegurt wrote:

A creative endevor from beyond the grave would be that much more interesting, don't you think?

At how many fps do dead rotate in their tombs?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 15:43

Shtopit wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

At how many fps do dead rotate in their tombs?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 17:33

It's a trick question! Rotation can't be measured in feet per second!

Now, if you're asking the surface velocity of a dead man spinning in his grave, you're going to have to give me a little more information.
We'll assume siegurt was correct that a dead person rotates at 6 rotations per second, we'll assume also this person is 6 feet tall, and rotating lengthwise.

That puts the circumference of the rotation at 6*pi, or ~18.85 feet.
He's going 6 rotations per second, so 6 * 18.85 = 113.1 feet per second surface velocity.

However 6 rotations per second is awfully fast for a person, let alone a dead one. That's 360 RPM! Maybe that's what killed this guy in the first place!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 17:45

dowan wrote:It's a trick question! Rotation can't be measured in feet per second!

Now, if you're asking the surface velocity of a dead man spinning in his grave, you're going to have to give me a little more information.
We'll assume siegurt was correct that a dead person rotates at 6 rotations per second, we'll assume also this person is 6 feet tall, and rotating lengthwise.

That puts the circumference of the rotation at 6*pi, or ~18.85 feet.
He's going 6 rotations per second, so 6 * 18.85 = 113.1 feet per second surface velocity.

However 6 rotations per second is awfully fast for a person, let alone a dead one. That's 360 RPM! Maybe that's what killed this guy in the first place!

I was interpreting it as "frames per second"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 18:01

But... that makes even less sense! Rotation isn't measured in frames per second. There aren't any frames! At least that we know of.

Maybe it was a really tricky trick question. A dead man rotates at the same framerate that everything else in real life occurs at.

That what I get for reading the OP and a few posts, then skipping to the end...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner