DCSS TrunkWatch™: "Dismissal dismissed

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 06:44

Re: DCSS TrunkWatch™: "Dismissal dismissed

tabstorm wrote:Now that I think about it, wearing Harm on a normal-ish HP character is sort of like being a VS. Except you can heal, and don't have regeneration, or pseudo-vampirism. But you're frail(er), and do more damage. I'm not sure if this makes it a good item to use, though. I can't think of many situations where, assuming good play, that the effect of Harm will help you survive a situation where you would have otherwise died. In a game with permadeath driven by wide damage distributions, defensive play will almost always be the best strategy.

It is a lot worse than being a Vine stalker because a lot of a vine stalkers power come though the Pseudo-vampirism. Also, even though you can heal , your healing power is effectively reduced due to harm, not to mention that you won't have GS at all (unless you are lucky enough to find a hat of spirit shield) to give you the extra effective HP that VS has.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 11:14

How's Harm different from choosing a 2h over shield?

If you have a vamp weapon, then wouldn't harm be more optimal? 30% more healing in exchange for 20% more damage seems good to me.

Anyway, y'all bitches: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/ku ... 074026.txt
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 12:35

kuniqs wrote:How's Harm different from choosing a 2h over shield?

If you have a vamp weapon, then wouldn't harm be more optimal? 30% more healing in exchange for 20% more damage seems good to me.

Anyway, y'all bitches: http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/ku ... 074026.txt

Yes, if an item allows to win a DDNe in GDA, it is clearly a very useful item because it is a very weak combo and you need all the help you can get :)

Edit. I would use amulet of the Air {Inacc +Fly rElec EV+5 RMsl} and the ring of Robustness {AC+8}, maybe even the amulet "Paol" {Faith rElec rF++ rN+ Str-3}
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 13:24

If Harm took vertigo upon taking off as a downside, and the other amulets gained an on-swap loss of attributes, even minor, I'd probably use it. Penalizing for swaps sounds good in my head and as it stands, I swap between reflection and rage regularly if I have them.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 14:07

If you were trying your hardest to win, and an amulet dropped that caused you to take 25% less damage, but also deal 25% less damage, would you wear it? I certainly would! At least, most of the time.

This is why it's a no brainer to never wear amulet of harm as is. Make it +25% outgoing, +10% incoming, then it gets interesting. Alternatively, leave it 25% in both directions, but give me a big benefit for taking that additional risk, say for example, 25% extra XP. Obviously this would need to be a slowly ramping effect so I don't just use it to get extra XP from popcorn, the draining penalty certainly isn't enough to prevent that.

I don't think the amulet of harm is unsalvagable, but efforts to make it a worthwhile amulet to wear need to realize how far from usable it is at the moment. It's a no-brainer to not wear the current harm, just like it's a no-brainer to not play mutation roulette. That doesn't meant it's not something some people will do, but it's not a good idea if you're trying to win.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 14:09

Harm is +30% damage dealt, +20% damage received currently.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
dowan

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 14:10

Also the argument was provided by duvessa in that last year thread he linked to.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
dowan

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 14:44

dowan wrote:If you were trying your hardest to win, and an amulet dropped that caused you to take 25% less damage, but also deal 25% less damage, would you wear it? I certainly would! At least, most of the time.

Isn't that what shields currently do? Don't you people consider shields unoptimal or something?
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 14:51

Shields don't give Robust 2. Also shields don't weaken spells, evocables, throwing etc. so they are optimal for many characters.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 15:13

Also, shields are not consistent. You can still take a max damage LCS while wearing a shield.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 15:53

Lasty wrote: the *Fragile solution is a bit odd in that it could conceivably cause someone to want to collect more than one amulet of harm, using them as consumable damage boosts right before using powerful and limited damaging effects.

I could see the argument that the player could technically be encouraged to collect multiple amulets of harm with *Fragile if the player considered Harm valuable for individual situations like you suggest, but technically that problem already exists and is worse with the Drain effect. Any player considering to swap Harm for only certain situations is pretty much free to do so with the current drawback an unlimited number of times, treating the drain cost of removing it similar to using a Ru power. It just isn't showing up as an issue because the majority of players don't feel the increased risk is ever worth the benefit, much less also dealing with the Drain every time (and the players who do feel it is worth it will just keep it on instead of being fiddly with it). I think *Fragile would bring it closer to the direction that amulet reform was aiming for, and would also remove it from being an identify trap for those not interested in the increased risk.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 17:29

If shields gave a guaranteed 20% incoming damage reduction, I think everyone would use them. Remember, the value of this is that it makes spikes less extreme, and conversely, harm's problem is that it makes spikes more extreme.

20% less damage on average is much less valuable, because what you care about is that 1 time out of 100 that the ettin hits you with both weapons for max damage. The difference between having 20% of your health and 0% of your health remaining is the difference between dying or not dying.

I also don't really care if once in a while I kill a stone giant in 2 swings instead of 4. I can't depend on that, it's nice if it happens, but it's not worth dying in situations I would otherwise have not died.

Harm makes you die in situations you would have survived without it. If you're depending on doing 30% more damage to survive, you're playing dangerously and suboptimally, and an extra 30% is no guarantee you'll kill an enemy before it kills you anyway.

The fact is from day 1 people have been noting these issues with harm, so it's weird to see anyone trying to pretend that isn't the case, especially people who participated in those discussions.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 17:34

dowan: Have you happened to understand continuity? I mention it right in my first reply in this thread. This is not a question about power, the amulet's effect could be arbitrarily strong.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 17:53

I read your initial post a few times now, trying to see what you're talking about in this post. I have apparently failed.

Nevertheless, I think after your initial replies people have re-stated their issues with it, and the initial problems are still relevant.

This is a bad item that for some reason has been forced into the game, and to say "Yeah it is useless but lets figure out how to make it not useless" is a strange approach to design.
Why does there have to be an item that increases incoming and outgoing damage, knowing full well the fact that it's a bad trade? Is it intended to mostly be a wear-id trap? I guess if that's the intent, then it serves its purpose, but I don't think that's the intent.

I mean, in a month if it is changed to 19% more incoming damage and 31% more outgoing damage, do we need to rehash this whole conversation for another round?

Barkeep

Post Friday, 21st October 2016, 18:35

I've removed a comment. I'm still leaving this unlocked, but so help me if you guys create any more trouble I will turn this thread around.

Edit: I am not kidding I will come back there!!

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
dowan

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 05:46

Sar wrote:Harm is +30% damage dealt, +20% damage received currently.

Interesting. I'm going to have to try wearing it on a xbow focused HO or something.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 06:16

Large rocks Tr or Og? Wear harm after you get a good armour, probably.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 19:51

Is there a particular reason amulet of harm doesn't just lower your max HP instead of increasing the damage you take by a magic percentage?

For current behavior, it's about equivalent to a -16.66...% penalty, which is pretty terrible in my opinion.

For this message the author Doesnt has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 23rd October 2016, 21:20

At least harm has a beneficial side to it which sometimes makes it interesting if you're not concerned with playing perfectly. Inaccuracy is bad and entirely uninteresting. Inaccuracy should be removed instead.
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner