Make 1.1 speed standard between player characters

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 10:25

Make 1.1 speed standard between player characters

The only monster speed that's changed is the "Ugly Thing" category, because they already move at 0.9 AuT and have killed many a fleeing player already.

Everyone else's movement speed is set to 1.1 AuT. Wait speed remains at 1.0. Boots of Running are not removed.

Spriggans get 1.0. Speed isn't such a great mechanic in this game but they get to stand out as the fastest race in D:1 as they've always been. Other fast races are now 1.1.
Vampires keep Bat Form, which remains unchanged.
Tengus lose their speed bonus and are given a Repulsion Field 1/2/3 at levels 4/7/10 respectively.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 11:41

Re: Make 1.1 speed standard between player characters

why

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:03

lethediver wrote:why

I'm proposing a solution to kiting while putting it in CYC so people don't take it too seriously.

Failing that, why not?
Last edited by Elitist on Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:08

Why does crawl even have races with different move speed, instead of all just being the same speed? What design goal does it accomplish? (except just arbitrary making some races stronger than others)
Last edited by BabyRage on Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:09

Elitist wrote:
Spriggans get 1.0. Speed isn't such a great mechanic in this game but they get to stand out as the fastest race in D:1 as they've always been. Other fast races are now 1.1..

Stop being stupid. Speed is almost EVERYTHING in roguelikes.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 12:15

BabyRage wrote:Why does crawl even have races with different move speed, instead of all just being the same speed? What design goal does it accomplish?

I think it could work for race variation if being fast wasn't so much better than being not-fast. Centaur would be a pretty strong race even if it moved at 1.0 AuTs, as it stands it's just overkill.

@papilio I realize. Do you think there's a better way to make varying speeds an element in the game making fast overwhelmingly powerful?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 13:04

i think the only problem a small movespeed change like this fixes is using energy randomization to create distance and escape upstairs away from a scary melee monster.

for everything else (kiting to use DoT or high MP spells or breath weapons or rods or whatever). this just means you kite while tanking 1 hit every 10 steps.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:28

lethediver wrote:i think the only problem a small movespeed change like this fixes is using energy randomization to create distance and escape upstairs away from a scary melee monster.

for everything else (kiting to use DoT or high MP spells or breath weapons or rods or whatever). this just means you kite while tanking 1 hit every 10 steps.

Exactly.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 20:54

The damage is generally low enough in those cases that you get to continue using your rechargable ranged attack.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner