Gargoyle Inconsistencies [RANT]

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:41

Gargoyle Inconsistencies [RANT]

Between players;

Gargoyles are supposed to liken themselves to undead, but are non-living and can take all the benefits of being alive despite being non-living.

Humans can berserk because they are alive, and they have blood to bring about a rage.Their blood allows them to be poisoned.
Ghouls are undead, and cannot berserk because they lack blood to boil. Their lack of blood also makes them poison immune.
Gargoyles have no blood, so they're immune to poison. Having no blood, they can berserk because ???.

Draconians have awkwardly shaped vestigial wings, so they cannot put on armour. If they're Black (and level 14) or gain a mutation for it, they are able to use them and fly.
Tengus do not have wings, and gain inherent flight at level 5 which becomes permanent at level 14.
Gargoyles have wings that allow them to (FINALLY) fly at level 14. On top of their natural armour, they can wear armour.

Gargoyles aren't alive, why do they need to eat, and how do they use blowguns? How do MUMMIES use blowguns???

Gargoyles get natural GDR on top of their natural level based AC (which is also the highest of any race. Grey Draconian gets 18AC at level 27 without any GDR).

Why do Gargoyles get rN+ when they also have rTorment1/2. Contrary to popular belief, this makes being tormented bearable.

How come the undead races have awful caveats for their innate abilities, but all Gargoyle has to deal with is a spell that ONE unique has (it's really, really devastating when they target a Gargoyle, I will admit) and sometimes a Pandemonium Lord (I've personally seen this once)? The low HP only comes into play when AC bypassing spells are in play, one form of which is easily nullified by their natural rElec.

I get why Gargoyles start with rElec, because it makes sense(TM), but why rN+???

Between monsters;

Has anyone ever seen a monster Gargoyle shout? I haven't, but we can shout and people hear us around corners, so don't tell me it's telepathy or some crap like that.

I might be dumb, but are enemy Gargoyles immune to negative energy? I've never let anything but my undead summons kill them, but I have vague memories of trying to cast pain on one but being told it didn't work.

A Gargoyle with a breath weapon would be really cool, honestly. Every time I see a Molten/War Goyles, I keep thinking "Imagine if Gargoyles could have a water breath, like those gargoyles at fountains. That would be really neat.", then I remember Gargoyles are already pretty good at everything then forget the idea.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:44

Re: Gargoyle Inconsistencies [RANT]

As far as I remember Gr is supposed to be one of the easiest races for new players, that's why they have all those properties.

Edit. Pain cannot affect monsters with rN+ (at least in last stable).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:47

it's magic. who needs consistency
remove food

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:50

tabstorm wrote:it's magic. who needs consistency

I need it for my DCSS fan fiction, I have a Gargoyle Berserker who wants to [CENSORED] a High Elf Skald by [CENSORED] their [CENSORED].
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:50

Why do you think that lore/flavor must be in any way connected to the gameplay? I guess the devs just intended gargoyle to be an easy race, so they gave it a strong set of mutations.

Who cares gargoyles don't have blood, why should it affect gameplay?

For this message the author BabyRage has received thanks:
ydeve

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:52

Gargoyles also can't move.
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 15:03

BabyRage wrote:Why do you think that lore/flavor must be in any way connected to the gameplay? I guess the devs just intended gargoyle to be an easy race, so they gave it a strong set of mutations.

Who cares gargoyles don't have blood, why should it affect gameplay?

D-Don't take it too seriously, this is CYC.

goodcoolguy wrote:Gargoyles also can't move.

Then explain how I got to the dungeon.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 15:09

Well, for one thing, you're not a gargoyle. Also, there is no dungeon, but if there were, the gargoyles would be there because someone put them there.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 17:25

Do you ever read the in game documentation?

Code:
Gargoyles
  A cross between ordinary stone gargoyles and living beings, Gargoyles are
  hideous humanoids with an affinity to rock. They have low health, but
  large amounts of innate armour which increases further as they gain
  levels. They eventually gain the ability to fly continuously.

Gargoyles' partially living form grants them immunity to poison, as well
  as resistance to electricity, and protection from some effects of
  necromancy. Their natural armour makes them strong melee fighters, and
  they are naturally skilled with blunt weapons and in unarmed combat. They
  can also be exceptional earth-based conjurers.

Player race gargoyles are mix between animated stone and a living being. I don't know what the act of conception looks like but I believe Arrythmia has uploaded a few of his ideas on that to 4chan.

One presumes a silicate base or a mixture of silicate and carbon structures in the cells, thus reducing the effect most toxins, which are understandably specialized towards carbon-based life. I would guess the outer epidermal layers are dense, thick, and truly non-living. This explains their native defense against electricity, necromancy, and getting their asses kicked. It also explains why you haven't had much with the race, as this thick skin keeps them from fitting in on most forums like this.

Most monster poison (adder, moccasin, mamba) is cytotoxic anyway and does not need a circulatory system to function. However, while I have not dissected one, observed behavior appears to indicate gargoyle metabolism employs a working respiratory, circulatory, and digestive system. With their stone skin, respiratory function would seem to be vital just for heat exchange. This does not explain spit poison; one presumes as gargoyles are the coolest race they are allowed ray ban sunglasses to protect themselves.

This answers all your questions except flight, and on that account I am afraid the answer is just that draconians are really really stupid and lazy and just haven't tried hard enough to fit into body armor. Clearly the tengu and gargoyles have figured it out, and the centaurs and naga to a lesser extent. Don't get mad at gargoyles just because draconians are dumb.

Sincerely,
your local greater gargoyle

For this message the author araganzar has received thanks: 3
chequers, Implojin, VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 05:50

the skald spells have almost no sexual applications. i've tried spectral weapon on a vibrator, and it was basically the same as using it normally except i felt ridiculous holding the non-spectral vibrator in the air. tukima's dance works much better

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 08:06

shroud of golubria doesn't work at all as protection either, it always just falls apart

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th October 2016, 08:41

Shard1697 wrote:shroud of golubria doesn't work at all as protection either, it always just falls apart

Try "resist missiles".
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner