a conversation about dev/player relationships

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 03:16

a conversation about dev/player relationships

archaeo wrote:Thread locked.

edit: which is to say that we can have a conversation about dev/player relationships

yes please, i'd like to have one

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 03:38

Re: a conversation about dev/player relationships

Code:
Cheibrodos312: Hey arrhy, we're trying to come up with some nicknames for wheals, did you have any?
Arrhythmia:  Well, one time we were about to have sex and he was too drunk to get it up.  So we laid there awhile and it was pretty awkward.  Then, he stood up on the bed with the covers wrapped around his shoulders like a cape, and screamed "I'M BATMAN".  I almost shit myself.
Cheibrodos312:  Holy shit, are you fucking serious?  Please tell me you're making that up.
Arrhythmia:  No, I'm not.  The weird thing is, after he got into the role, he finally got it up, and it was the best sex of my life.  So I usually call him batman.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, wheals

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 04:36

the gender disparity is a relevant and important issue that should be discussed. just not by zoopy joobles

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, scorpionwarrior, TeshiAlair

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 05:56

duvessa wrote:
  Code:
Cheibrodos312: Hey arrhy, we're trying to come up with some nicknames for wheals, did you have any?
Arrhythmia:  Well, one time we were about to have sex and he was too drunk to get it up.  So we laid there awhile and it was pretty awkward.  Then, he stood up on the bed with the covers wrapped around his shoulders like a cape, and screamed "I'M BATMAN".  I almost shit myself.
Cheibrodos312:  Holy shit, are you fucking serious?  Please tell me you're making that up.
Arrhythmia:  No, I'm not.  The weird thing is, after he got into the role, he finally got it up, and it was the best sex of my life.  So I usually call him batman.

i'd just like everyone to know this conversation is entirely accurate, true, it happened, and i am not planning on running for public office at any point in the future

duvessa wrote:the gender disparity is a relevant and important issue that should be discussed. just not by zoopy joobles

also: race relations shouldn't be discussed by people who are still upset about the janissaries
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 07:26

For this message the author gammafunk has received thanks:
ololoev

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 13:32

what on earth

For this message the author yesno has received thanks:
goodcoolguy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 13:47

yesno wrote:what on earth
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:24

dang. this was supposed to be a shitpost about not having a girlfriend but i think duvessa was the only person who realized that.

For this message the author wheals has received thanks:
n1000

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 14:36

wheals wrote:dang. this was supposed to be a shitpost about not having a girlfriend but i think duvessa was the only person who realized that.

I don't think D was the only one.
dpeg wrote:there's always something that can go in.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 16:27

wheals wrote:dang. this was supposed to be a shitpost about not having a girlfriend but i think duvessa was the only person who realized that.

Hilarious joke! Always happy to see y'all keeping the pot stirred up.

Give me a second so that I can separate the "serious" posts from the "joke" posts and put them in their proper place.

edit: done. Anyone looking to have a serious discussion about the Tavern can go to S&C. Those of you interested in helping wheals find true love should focus your energies here.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 18:19

Tried to have a relationship with a dev, we even went stable for a while, but then I got removed. Apparently I was "tedious, grindy, and an interface screw."

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 19:30

Are there any hot girls among the devs?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 19:38

what do I do? well, it's pretty interesting, actually. I play crawl. yes this game is the real deal. it's hard as hell. no no no, it's not Impossible, a few people have beat it in fact, though the truth is most do not have what it takes. not even to find a single rune which you must take to unlock the final area, heh.

Have I? well...let's just say--once or tw--I beat crawl 70 times

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks: 6
and into, Arrhythmia, cerebovssquire, Rast, Sar, yesno

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 20:52

When you were hired for the Company, you --like the rest of us-- signed a contract in blood whereby you'd never talk or brag about scoring Crawl groupies.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 7th October 2016, 17:25

duvessa wrote:the gender disparity is a relevant and important issue that should be discussed. just not by zoopy joobles

Just to confirm across the history of the dev team- there was jpeg five years ago, rax maintains CAO, regret-index just started her spiro + estradiol prescription, and that's about it, right? There are a handful of contributors too that come to mind, I guess.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 14:37

claws, just to make sure I understand you correctly: There are more transwomen on or affiliated with the dev team than cis women?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 17:21

Rast: Two over one compared to dozens has clearly different issues to address, not that I'm remotely interested in dissecting politick in this medium of forum or game project I've openly and constantly expressed distaste for. Mostly I am just hoping somebody who can remember earlier days of Stone Soup can confirm my brief list.

For this message the author claws has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 06:41

I'm surprised any two crawl players live close enough to each other in order to have an in person relationship, really. I managed to get one of my friends to play, but he now lives in england, and I'm in seattle...so that's kinda far.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 09:40

tasonir: There was a time when tree developers where from the same city. Now, for my sister and me, that was no surprise, but to find about rob (by) was! I'm sure the West Coast guys could also meet. Perhaps they do sometimes?

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 15th October 2016, 23:07

tasonir wrote:I'm surprised any two crawl players live close enough to each other in order to have an in person relationship, really. I managed to get one of my friends to play, but he now lives in england, and I'm in seattle...so that's kinda far.

my friend from high school taught me to play natm^chei (this + the wiki is why it took me so long to win). I got another IRL friend from college to play and he still does. I even met two teammates from a tournament for lunch. Although we don't live near each other, we've managed to get together a few times when one of us is traveling.

If I'm ever having a conversation about video games I ask the person if they know about DCSS. Usually they've heard the term "roguelike" but never played a traditional one. One time a weird guy came up to me while I was smoking and I asked him what he did and it turns out he is an indie game dev (i.e., "between jobs" I think they say), and when I asked about crawl his eyes lit up! Turns out he played very little but he remembers the game having amazing procedurally generated maps.

My point is you can make IRL friends through crawl meet crawl players IRL if you talk about it enough.

Oh also one of my highschool friends isn't really a "crawl player" but he's a game dev and has certainly tried crawl plenty went to the roguelike.club thingy--didn't catch PF's talk though because, he said, we already talk about hypothetically optimal play all the time.

It's a small world! if you meet a lot of gamers/programmer-types who like tactical games at all, there's a good chance you'll find out they know crawl or maybe convince them to try it.

Crawl really has a great community. I think a big part of it comes from online play + spectating allowing closer, relatively more private interactions. If you want to make some crawl friends, play in the tournament and set up an irc channel or a Discord or something for your team.

For this message the author n1000 has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner