Potion Petition replacement

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:13

Potion Petition replacement

Potion Petition is powerful, and expensive, but too similar to tactical buffs from Oka and Nemelex. Here's an alternative that, while not as strong, is funner and fits better with the rest of Gozag's flavor:

Amazot Prime:
Costs $1 and no auts (instant)
Brings up a menu of all currently-affordable items in visited shops
You can choose to buy an item, which teleports it from the shop to your inventory. This costs the original price plus the $1 shipping charge.
(If you choose not to buy anything, or if you don't have room in inventory the $1 is refunded)

This would work even in Pan and Abyss, but perhaps the shipping charge to those places could be higher.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 2
dpeg, yesno

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:20

Re: Potion Petition replacement

I got disappointed that it was not in GDD. We need a button "travel to a shop with specified item from shopping list, killing all gobling on the way, buy the item and travel back to the tile where you started all this"...
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:36

goldify shops

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:39

why are we replacing the only good gozag ability, instead of one of the bad ones

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, ololoev, Sar, scorpionwarrior

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:41

Another example of a quality of life feature that should be available to all characters floated as a god ability...
The Original Discourse Respecter

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 03:52

Being able to instantly buy the most situationally useful item without using any auts is a lot better than a simple quality of life improvement.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 10:21

duvessa wrote:why are we replacing the only good gozag ability, instead of one of the bad ones

Everyone knows that the best gozag ability is call merchant.

For this message the author BabyRage has received thanks:
Rast

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 10:41

Rast: Interesting!

When I made Gozag, the potions where the weakest element, from a flavour point of view. (I rationalise them as "money can buy anything".) Linking this to shops is intriguing. I'll think about this a little more and come back to this tread.

Should be in GDD, of course. :D

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 11:10

gozag is one my favorite gods! although i only have a few wins with gozag, he is in my top 5 as far as fun gameplay goes.

i always considered potion petition his forefront, and strongest ability. the whole reason was to go gozag (for me) was a free pot pet, as well as knowing you could afford a few more pot pets in the early and mid game. bribing branches was a somehwat distant second, mostly to ignore and/or bypass the annoyances of zot:5. teleporting shop items to the player sounds fun but please dont nerf potion petition!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 11:54

Feature Request: Bring back item weight, but only for Amazot shipping costs.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 1st October 2016, 16:32

mibe, it's true that PP is strong, especially the first free one. I think it's there just to make Gozag relevant before you find a shop or earn $400. This would be a tactical nerf, no doubt about it.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 23:47

Rast: with your proposal, it would become stronger than the Petition at some point in the game because you can chain-instabuy exactly the things you need, and the stock is larger (including scrolls). It's a bit sad, because it moves power from the early to the later part. :(

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2016, 23:50

Tbh I think that gozag is great, no need to change anything. Unless you think he's to strong which he may be.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 00:02

dpeg wrote:Rast: with your proposal, it would become stronger than the Petition at some point in the game because you can chain-instabuy exactly the things you need, and the stock is larger (including scrolls). It's a bit sad, because it moves power from the early to the later part. :(

Yes, but you would still need to spend turns using them. No more quaffing four potions in one turn.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd October 2016, 20:00

Gozag should offer to directly sell you food, even if at a markup. Originally you could get potions of porridge, after all. Having to spend your money on food shops just keeps you behind the gozag power curve. You're down the cost of the shop, plus the increase in cost for the next shop.

This doesn't impact strong combos, but struggling combos with gozag only struggle worse in my experience.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Lord Haart

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 18:51

duvessa wrote:why are we replacing the only good gozag ability, instead of one of the bad ones

excuse me. what drugs are you on
Formicid Lyfe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 03:07

Dungeoneer wrote:

excuse me. what drugs are you on

call merchant and bribe branch are decent abilities, and you should use them occasionally as a gozag character, but if you compare them to the high-piety invocations of other gods (which become available roughly when call merchant does) they don't hold up to most of the more powerful gods' ones. potion petition, on the other hand, is instantly available and one of the best low-piety (or gold) invocations, and is excellent all game.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
and into, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 03:42

i meant good as in reasonably well-designed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 04:03

Bribe Branch clears any rune floor or zot 5.

Call Merchant is the overall strongest strategic god ability in the game. In the short term, the first Trog weapon gift is better/faster, but once Gozagites have enough gold to buy a couple weapon shops and the best weapon available, Gozag is ahead, and then you're filling up your slots with armour and jewelery, and filling inventory with good consumables. Meanwhile Trog is spamming you with weapons that aren't as good as the first few he gave you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 07:52

"A couple weapon shops" could very well mean "over a dozen shops total". GL funding that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 08:37

Rast wrote:Bribe Branch clears any rune floor or zot 5.

Call Merchant is the overall strongest strategic god ability in the game. In the short term, the first Trog weapon gift is better/faster, but once Gozagites have enough gold to buy a couple weapon shops and the best weapon available, Gozag is ahead, and then you're filling up your slots with armour and jewelery, and filling inventory with good consumables. Meanwhile Trog is spamming you with weapons that aren't as good as the first few he gave you.

Abilities like oklobs, BiA, banish self, sanctuary, or all the deck manipulation with nemelex, are still better than bribe branch imo. Bribe branch does clear floors, but I'd rather have abilities that help me out of a situation that's gone wrong somehow, or in the case of BiA and oklobs, a more consistent way to call allies in a turn (or 2).

edit: do you consider stacking nemelex decks a strategic abilty? If so I think it's also clearly better than call merchant, which gives you a greater selection of good items than an average char, but nothing like several very good stacked decks.
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 10:45

Gozag literally gives you free runes (and free orb for that matter). I don't know how it is worse than summoning couple immobile oklobs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th October 2016, 12:30

I was on the fence about oklobs, but they're about as good as bribe branch when it comes to clearing branch ends (definitely better for zot). Then they're more suitable for general use in challenging fights, you can use them to react to a threat appearing much better. Still, Fedhas is better than Gozag mostly because of shrooms. The other invocations I listed are more obviously better abilities than bribe branch.

Worth mentioning that the other high-piety invocations are also useful earlier than bribe branch, which I don't think you'd use much before the later levels of rune branches, which isn't true for 5*-6* abilities of other gods. But maybe I should be using bribe branch before then.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner