PSA: Some guy just spent 18 hours avoiding trap tiles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 00:20

Re: PSA: Some guy just spent 18 hours avoiding trap tiles

dowan wrote:What were the actual circumstances? Was your death at least interesting?
of course it wasn't lol, an interesting trap death has literally never happened
i was walking through explored territory at half hp to go up the stairs to get away from some monsters, and accidentally stepped on a not-previously-stepped on tile, which had a tele trap which teleported me in front of a ghost that immediately killed me with stone arrow

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 01:16

duvessa wrote:
dowan wrote:What were the actual circumstances? Was your death at least interesting?
of course it wasn't lol, an interesting trap death has literally never happened
i was walking through explored territory at half hp to go up the stairs to get away from some monsters, and accidentally stepped on a not-previously-stepped on tile, which had a tele trap which teleported me in front of a ghost that immediately killed me with stone arrow

When a tiles player attempting a streak, hits a trap and gets killed by a player ghost, you just know someone in this world is laughing.

For this message the author Sphara has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 02:53

duvessa wrote:I just lost a potential streak to not marking stepped-on tiles. Discuss.

An excellent vindication of both floor traps and player ghosts as features. Interesting!
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
nago, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 03:01

Code:
-> *sequell* !lg . / tiles
*Sequell* 1/4245 games for minqmay: N=1/4245 (0.02%)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 13:56

Well I hope you'll learn the obvious lesson from this situation and mark a safe path of stepped upon tiles from now on.

FR: Player footsteps like what autoexplore shows are permanent, and manual exploration leaves them too. Automatic movement would obviously stay on those tiles. Autoexplore would also favor them, but obviously couldn't use them exclusively.

I dunno if console players have anything like the footstep thing. Too bad for them if not.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 14:53

FR: Increase the number of traps by 10000% (maybe less, I dunno), so that literally only one narrow path is free on every level. Rename "dungeon" to "labyrinth". Also rename the minotaur's labyrinth to "small labyrinth within the large labyrinth", but this is obvious.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2016, 23:58

Magipi wrote:FR: Increase the number of traps by 10000% (maybe less, I dunno), so that literally only one narrow path is free on every level. Rename "dungeon" to "labyrinth". Also rename the minotaur's labyrinth to "small labyrinth within the large labyrinth", but this is obvious.

They already have this. It's called CYC. There's literally only one sensible post on every thread, everything else is a troll post or people trying to be "funny".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 02:26

Magipi wrote:FR: Increase the number of traps by 10000% (maybe less, I dunno), so that literally only one narrow path is free on every level. Rename "dungeon" to "labyrinth". Also rename the minotaur's labyrinth to "small labyrinth within the large labyrinth", but this is obvious.

This post made me think that probably we haven't explored traps as a way to fix luring/stairdancing. For example, every time you move upstairs with adjacent monsters, 1-2 traps are generated near those stairs (on both floors). Every time you retreat from a monster there is a chance to generate a trap in your view, even on the tiles you have already stepped on.

FR: Remove all traps from floor generation part and generate them only under above conditions to punish player for degenerative tactics.

Edit. Or maybe it has already been discussed, I am not sure.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 04:20

duvessa wrote:I just lost a potential streak to not marking stepped-on tiles. Discuss.

Owned.
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 06:48

VeryAngryFelid wrote:This post made me think that probably we haven't explored traps as a way to fix luring/stairdancing. For example, every time you move upstairs with adjacent monsters, 1-2 traps are generated near those stairs (on both floors). Every time you retreat from a monster there is a chance to generate a trap in your view, even on the tiles you have already stepped on.

FR: Remove all traps from floor generation part and generate them only under above conditions to punish player for degenerative tactics.

Edit. Or maybe it has already been discussed, I am not sure.

This is like trying to solve a termite problem by lighting your house on fire.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks: 3
duvessa, eliotn, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 13:33

ontoclasm wrote:This is like trying to solve a termite problem by lighting your house on fire.

It got the job done didn't it? Jeez, you never stop complaining about that, I didn't even charge you full price!

Nevermind him, Dowan's pest removal service has a 100% success rate, and the lowest prices in town!

EDIT: Fixed the broken quote tag that is the obvious reason why my hilarious joke got no thanks.
Last edited by dowan on Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 16:50, edited 2 times in total.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
dracos369, jwoodward48ss

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 14:52

If there were a single visible Zot trap near each descending flight of stairs stairdancing would become much less appealing, since monsters following you could activate it.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 15:09

ontoclasm wrote:This is like trying to solve a termite problem by lighting your house on fire.

Maybe so. Major advantage of the provided system is that it will be the player who is responsible for their death.
Famous last words "Damn, I should not have moved 10 tiles back to lure the orc priest behind the corner".
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2016, 15:56

Streaking's not fun at all and I've more or less stopped playing crawl because of it. The tedium is only part of the problem. The bigger part is that it's so discouraging how random the early game is.

More fun to egg Ultra on to do crazy stuff like this exclusion run to show how bad traps are.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2016, 18:40

I wonder how different the discussion around what constitutes tedium in the Crawl metagame would be if there were no recording of streaks on CAO? The Angband ladder doesn't record them, for example.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Speleothing

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2016, 19:04

Just wondering if everybody already knows that there is a way to play trap-free crawl? Its called worshipping Ashenzari. Soooo good.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2016, 23:48

Coincidentally, the only time traps do anything coincides with the time in which you either don't have Ash or don't have enough piety to get the trap detection effect.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, ZipZipskins
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner