Remove Ogre; Preserve High Elf

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2016, 22:57

Remove Ogre; Preserve High Elf

Basajaunak are taking the niche that Ogre had. An Ogre that finds the Necronomicon is not going to drop their giant spiked club for a staff of necromancy, but a Basajaun who finds a set of Gold Dragon Armour is going to switch because -1 skill and +1 fighting is not that bad and it wouldn't make sense to continue casting anything save for one working towards Haste.

High Elves have the distinction from any other race in the game by being the most adept hybrids in the game, while still being restricted to a narrow set of weapons to keep them in check. Since their health is low and their fighting is 0, they eventually have to integrate another form of combat into their play style or struggle against a wide variety of enemies.

A Merfolk Ice Elementalist can and has won the game before, as has a Tengu Gladiator. The difference is that a High Elf can do both these jobs without tripping over itself in skilling. It's a intermediate friendly race that allows for great, if select versatility and should not be removed because we gave Ba a +2 to charms because ???.

EDIT :: Removing Ogre means Trolls get the distinction having the highest HP of player races in the game. Fits nicely.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

For this message the author Elitist has received thanks:
BabyRage

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 00:03

Re: Remove Ogre; Preserve High Elf

Lots of species in the game are more adept as "hybrids" than high elves. At the very least: humans, centaurs, demigods, draconians, deep dwarves, merfolk, minotaurs, ogres, hill orcs, trolls, vampires, and vine stalkers.

I would prefer to have neither ogres, high elves, nor basajaunak in the game.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 00:19

duvessa wrote:Lots of species in the game are more adept as "hybrids" than high elves. At the very least: humans, centaurs, demigods, draconians, deep dwarves, merfolk, minotaurs, ogres, hill orcs, trolls, vampires, and vine stalkers.

I would prefer to have neither ogres, high elves, nor basajaunak in the game.

Don't make me go through all of those just to prove a point.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 01:11

duvessa wrote:Lots of species in the game are more adept as "hybrids" than high elves. At the very least: humans, centaurs, demigods, draconians, deep dwarves, merfolk, minotaurs, ogres, hill orcs, trolls, vampires, and vine stalkers.

let's you and me pretend like i only thanked this half of the post
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 01:13

you should make an account named "Arrhy" or "thmia" so you can do that

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, Cimanyd, nago, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 01:18

Yes, I thanked that post but I like basajaunak and would like it to stay. Easy option for new players who want to play magic backgrounds.
Not sure why duvessa dislikes it, it has pretty plain aptitudes and even giant spike is not a no-brainer (I found a lajatang in my game before temple, for example).
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 02:02

High elf is horrible and long overdue for removal. Makes no sense to have a species so similar to so many other species.

Ogre is worse though. With the introduction of this new species, the ogre niche is "worse than a troll, also worse than one of those Basque things."
The Original Discourse Respecter

For this message the author goodcoolguy has received thanks:
nago

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 02:12

goodcoolguy wrote:High elf is horrible and long overdue for removal. Makes no sense to have a species so similar to so many other species.

Ogre is worse though. With the introduction of this new species, the ogre niche is "worse than a troll, also worse than one of those Basque things."

It's not similar enough to Te or Mf to justify removing it, and you couldn't make up a better point if you tried.

Ogre is going to be bad after this. All they're going to be good for is "the big race who gets health fast and also uses clubs".

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 02:29

Ogre already is bad...

Elitist wrote:[...] and you couldn't make up a better point if you tried.

lol what does that even mean?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 02:57

FR: Please remove Og, Mf, and Mi. Then balance HO weapon apts.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 03:13

I actually agree with that. Minotaurs are boring and OP. Ogres are worse than Tr and Basq, and not really interesting. The Mf/HE/Te overlap needs to have SOMEBODY either removed or dramatically changed, and Mf are the least cool of the three. And now that Mi is gone, we can bring back MD! (Remove DD or call them crustal golems. I don't care. Give me my MD back!)

Removing stuff is fun. Especially if it makes way for bringing back cool things.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 03:20

This should be moved to CYC. What started with a reasonable OP (reasonably worded, I don't support it at all) has turned into another pointless removalist contest.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 3
Malevolent, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 03:50

I forgot Ha.
FR: remove Halflings (or Kobolds instead)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 03:51

dpeg wrote:This should be moved to CYC. What started with a reasonable OP (reasonably worded, I don't support it at all) has turned into another pointless removalist contest.

I don't control the shitposting. I try to speak around it. I'm sorry.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 03:56

removing more than 1 species at once is so unreasonable :?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 04:13

Elitist wrote:Ogre is going to be bad after this. All they're going to be good for is "the big race who gets health fast and also uses clubs".
I mean, that's exactly what Ba is

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 12:19

duvessa wrote:
Elitist wrote:Ogre is going to be bad after this. All they're going to be good for is "the big race who gets health fast and also uses clubs".
I mean, that's exactly what Ba is

"The big race who gets healthy really fast and also uses clubs."

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2016, 12:24

dpeg wrote:reasonably worded

High praise.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner