[proclick] new fork, hellcrawl

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 18th October 2018, 18:47

Re: [proclick] new fork, hellcrawl

I'm about done with these stupid devastation brands also.

Donald hits you with a +1 long sword of devastation (36)!!!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The blow is devastating (47)!
You die...

Lmao

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 18th October 2018, 20:43

Devastation is quite odd for a brand. I never use them as a player because they make your weapon way too slow but I fear them greatly when a monster has them and they are a heavy hitter.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 13:29

Something's wrong with Jiyva.
I just went to 200 piety and she didn't gift me a single mutation.
Really needs a fix as to how and when she implements mutations to be more static.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 13:30

severen wrote:Devastation is quite odd for a brand. I never use them as a player because they make your weapon way too slow but I fear them greatly when a monster has them and they are a heavy hitter.

I mean devastation is pretty ballin' on SOME builds. Try a Merfolk Skald with a Deva Demon Trident lol

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th October 2018, 21:35

amyqute1 wrote:Something's wrong with Jiyva.
Really needs a fix as to how and when she implements mutations to be more static.

What race?

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 16:51

Rast wrote:
amyqute1 wrote:Something's wrong with Jiyva.

What race?

Not anything mutation immune

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 16:53

Also something to be said about Torpor Knight + Statue Form. Far too strong and crowds up the entire top 20 with a couple exceptions. Been trying it and can get all Pan runes and enter Zot by XL22 lol

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 21st November 2018, 06:04

amyqute1 wrote:Also something to be said about Torpor Knight + Statue Form. Far too strong and crowds up the entire top 20 with a couple exceptions. Been trying it and can get all Pan runes and enter Zot by XL22 lol

Mmmmm I am not convinced Torpor Knight is better than some other strong gods. However Chei is definitely better than trunk since Int does more and starting with your god early is nice. However I have 9 runed the game a number of versions ago with a Op using dragon form of Sif and haste and its quite strong. I would say its stronger than TK + statue form. Although to get a high score you are going to leave a decent amount of XP on the table as you dive floors and getting both DF and haste online may not be that viable for non DE. TK might be one of the best happy mediums for diving levels as early as possible for the best score. Although I think there are a few other combos that can work.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 2nd December 2018, 04:18

TK right now is so overpowered and imbalanced there's absolutely no reason to pick anything else and try to be competitive on the scoreboards with it lol. Nothing comes close. Yes Dragon Form is probably also strong as TK, all forms are. I just finished a TeTK game and had enough to sustain Statue Form, Animate Dead, Death Channel, Regen, Spectral Weapon, Infestation, Song of Slaying, Deflect Missiles, and still cast Tornado without having to wear Rings of Wizardry by the first floor of Pan. Yep, that's not broken.

Mind you this is outright skipping floors, and always automatically taking Mutagenic Shafts, and around XL20. Just dumb. Lmao

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 2nd December 2018, 04:21

There absolutely needs to be the added factor of actually finding the shrine and having the tempt of other gods along the way. The high scores just looks retarded right now. Lol

bel

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 3rd December 2018, 03:25

Score doesn't mean anything in particular. Especially Crawl's current score function, which is rather weird and nonsensical. The runes^2 term is particularly weird.

I haven't played with Torpor Knight much. But I doubt very much that starting with Chei is "better" than starting with Trog, say.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 3rd December 2018, 04:24

Have people interested in hellcrawl high scoring looked at the scores on the Japanese server? I recall some pretty fast runs, though I think they go speedrun mode which imo is not really the right thing for high scoring, too easy.

I think it's true that Chei is the best choice for scoring in hellcrawl, particularly since you can start with chei. Trog is fairly bad in hellcrawl ime because the piety decay is so fast. Makhleb might be a reasonable alternative, oka is also quite solid.

I really wish people would get into hellcrawl realtime speedrunning. There's a lot of potential there. It's probably winnable in under 10 minutes. The possibility of doing a no-rune game adds a lot of strategic depth that isn't there in dcss realtime, I think. Lots of interesting route possibilities.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 08:01

bel wrote:Also something to be said about Torpor Knight + Statue Form. Far too strong and crowds up the entire top 20 with a couple exceptions. Been trying it and can get all Pan runes and enter Zot by XL22 lol

Chei isnt stronger than other strong gods. Yes he is a bit stronger but also other goods are (Oka Pasive Heroism, Makhleb Damnation, Dethimenaios Athenae + Sinv although Sinv barely matters, buffed Quazal SH)

Topor Knight is so strong because from turn 1:
a) God with 35 piety and bend time available
b) plate mail - pondeurs is insignigicant for Chei worshipers

Topor Kinght is even stronger on strong race so hellcrawl VsTK is MiBe of normal crawl

Statue Form of Chei - on Octopus all day long, on Vinestalker very, very rarely. It competes with other spells - Darkness/Invisibility, Necromutation So its quite balanced.

bel wrote:Score doesn't mean anything in particular. Especially Crawl's current score function, which is rather weird and nonsensical. The runes^2 term is particularly weird.

Score equals to turncount speedrun in all rune game.

bel wrote:I haven't played with Torpor Knight much. But I doubt very much that starting with Chei is "better" than starting with Trog, say.

As above, TK get's plate mail and Trog falls a bit in late game.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 17:13

tealizard wrote:Have people interested in hellcrawl high scoring looked at the scores on the Japanese server? I recall some pretty fast runs, though I think they go speedrun mode which imo is not really the right thing for high scoring, too easy.

I think it's true that Chei is the best choice for scoring in hellcrawl, particularly since you can start with chei. Trog is fairly bad in hellcrawl ime because the piety decay is so fast. Makhleb might be a reasonable alternative, oka is also quite solid.

I really wish people would get into hellcrawl realtime speedrunning. There's a lot of potential there. It's probably winnable in under 10 minutes. The possibility of doing a no-rune game adds a lot of strategic depth that isn't there in dcss realtime, I think. Lots of interesting route possibilities.

10 minutes seems doable, Nearly all of my 9 runes are 50-70 minutes without really aiming for that, cut to the chase and you can probably edit out well over half of that.

Radzia: You are crazy, I've been trying to catch your VSTK score ever since it was put on there, but I can only come within what seems 3k or so turns. I probably need to memorize the Pan maps to cut out the other turns because i still find myself auto exploring them until the boss pops up. Are the maps static? I should probably screenshot the explored maps as a reference if so to try and fix that.

Oka is solid. On the high scores I am Moonbeam and Moonstruck and one of the only Not-TK scores is an Oka run. You'd have to get pretty lucky early on to do a no-resting completion to keep your turns down if you are eyeballing your spots on the high scores lists though.

Also, is it just me, or is focusing Bows/Crossbows simply unviable for hellcrawl except as a spare weapon? I've even gone Dith/Damnation and it's just a crapshow every time.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 17:17

Also, I have an old DsBe completion using Mace of Variability. Something like this is quite strong. I pretty much sucked but with the boost it has all the Pan lords stunlocked within a couple hits. Same could probably be said about Oka/Variability but you also have the chance with DsBe to Hurl Damnation, which kinda negates the spellcasting block. It's enough to take care of any nasties that might pop up that you have to take care of along the way.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 17:27

severen wrote:Devastation is quite odd for a brand. I never use them as a player because they make your weapon way too slow but I fear them greatly when a monster has them and they are a heavy hitter.

I retract my previous sentiments about Devastation. My highest score is using Devastation brand now for almost the entire game.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 5th December 2018, 02:19

I find my pure ranged characters often hit a wall at V:$. Not having that !augmentation bonus makes the initial rush a lot rougher. Have you tried that penetration spell though? Having a good ranged option definitely adds a lot to hellcrawl melee guys, particularly with song of slaying.

I would like to try realtime speedrunning myself, but I don't have a reliable connection to any hellcrawl servers. Now that there's an EU hellcrawl server though, should be a lot more accessible to the global realtime crowd.
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 5th December 2018, 14:44

tealizard wrote:I find my pure ranged characters often hit a wall at V:$. Not having that !augmentation bonus makes the initial rush a lot rougher. Have you tried that penetration spell though? Having a good ranged option definitely adds a lot to hellcrawl melee guys, particularly with song of slaying.

I would like to try realtime speedrunning myself, but I don't have a reliable connection to any hellcrawl servers. Now that there's an EU hellcrawl server though, should be a lot more accessible to the global realtime crowd.

Sounds like you really like this fork, I do too. Yes, Vaults 3 seems to be about the cap for any pure ranged character, either Piercing or Portal Projectile be damned. I've gotten through it once or twice, but Pandemonium seems a near impossibility unless you are simply blinking around to grab the runes and leaving, which I suppose is an option, but then the Orb Run shortly after would seem even more problematic. I'm sure Severenx could manage, so *Shrug* :p

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 8th December 2018, 16:42

Bug report for Green Draconian,

Green Draconians gain aptitude in poison magic, but there is no poison school. They should get a usable aptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 8th December 2018, 21:21

ryzol wrote:Bug report for Green Draconian,

Green Draconians gain aptitude in poison magic, but there is no poison school. They should get a usable aptitude.
This bug report also functions as an excellent vanilla DCSS shitpost

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Fingolfin, nago
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner