[proclick] new fork, hellcrawl

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 19th April 2018, 04:38

Re: [proclick] new fork, hellcrawl

Does anybody get the silver rune? How do you do it beyond getting lucky with teleports?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 19th April 2018, 14:27

chequers wrote:Does anybody get the silver rune? How do you do it beyond getting lucky with teleports?

Yeah I did it last night on a JiTK 9 rune game and have done it on others. I generally just teleport immediately. I usually hit V3 with a character that is tough enough to take things for a bit. I had to teleport 4 times last night. Other time once or twice. I almost never wind up at v3 with too few teleports scrolls. Also I try to have some stealth by that point and some regen, those two typically allow you to recover ok. I wouldn't call it getting "lucky" with teleports, since it usually works fine after a try or three. I have seen people just make a run to a side or an interior with a corridor or whatever but generally that the same as a bad teleport I find.

I have also done it as Qazlal twice(maybe more?), I generally teleport there too and make my way to an edge which invariably fills the entire corridor and I killed everything.

Bazaar

I think there should be one more Bazaar entrance on zot 4 or 5, on the JiTK 9 rune last night (entered Pan on U1 so hit U2 bazzar after pan) I was overall happy with the bazaar but I still had like 3k gold left on zot 5, part of that was I didn't find much to buy that was worthwhile after the first couple things but, also I am pretty sure it was about 1500 gold gained that is useless after U2. Once the last Bazaar spawns all gold is useless to non-gozag

For this message the author severen has received thanks:
chequers

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 23rd April 2018, 22:46

So I was playing a gnoll and I had swamp so I learned summon forest, after I was done swamp I read amnesia to get rid of summon forest but I did not get the five spell levels back...

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 23rd April 2018, 23:36

Maybe spell levels should be removed. Only half joking.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 01:01

Very minor bug: the game counted 6 branches for my DUZH speedrun. I never entered temple (is there even temple in hellcrawl anymore? think it was removed), so I'm assuming the other two were the bazaar and elf. Elf being a portal vault I'd assume it shouldn't count as a branch, and probably the same with bazaar although that's a bit more murky, since you can leave and return to it, so it probably needs to be considered a branch by the game?

All of this only matters if you want your morgues to look pretty, but hey, add it to the low priority list.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 11th May 2018, 20:11

I'm not dead but I'm moving for a new job. Probably going to be a few weeks before I can start work on hellcrawl again.
Remove spell hunger.

bel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th May 2018, 06:39

I tried a Nemelex game (NaTm) in the latest version. I did find an amulet of faith somewhere around D:6, so it was easier than usual. Some general observations:

(a) Nem is, as usual, really good.
(b) Early game Nemelex is a crapshoot but really OP. Example: I had only just taken Nemelex and Invo was something like 2 or 3, when I ran into Grum's pack right after I descended a staircase. I blind drew from destruction and at some point got Wild Magic (IIRC). It killed almost the entire pack in one shot. I checked the messages, and found that it did something like 150 damage (in total) instantly, which is crazy.
(c) Decks of escape seem really scarce. At one point, I had received something like 70 each of summoning and destruction, but only 5 of escape. Not sure if this is intentional or just bad luck.
(d) I never ran out of piety or cards whenever I wanted to use decks (same as normal Crawl experience).

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 3rd June 2018, 11:57

Two and a half bug like things. The first one and a half bugs are if you enslave soul something that has summoned things the summoned things do not go away like they would if you killed them, the same sort of thing happens if your enslaved Mara copies a summoner and the copy is still there after the original is dead. The other bug like thing is that good gods do not care about regenerate being cast before you join them and if you cast it when you are worshiping them they can stop being mad at you with out you turning it off.

Sorry if someone else has pointed these out.

For this message the author gishou has received thanks:
Hellmonk

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 21st June 2018, 02:38

Hot fresh content:
  • Species stuff:
    • Hill Orc is removed.
    • "new species": Mountain Dwarf. Sturdy frame, increasing levels of wild magic as they level up. Normal HP. Otherwise similar to HO.
    • Tengu no longer get fast movement while flying.
    • Tengu get better melee and ranged weapon apts.
    • Tengu get claws 1 and horns 1.
    • Troll nerf: start with claws 1, increasing to 2 at xl 11 and 3 at xl 21.
    • Vampires are now called Jiangshi
    • Jiangshi get the hop ability per the old ba/fr mut but do not get batform.
    • Jiangshi get undead-lite resists: rPois, rC+, rN++.
    • Jiangshi get a limited version of hp on kill - 50% chance when killing a corpse-leaving monster.
    • Ghoul is removed.
    • Deep Elves get -1 mp cost on non-sustained spells, like the FD species proposal did.
  • Mechanical stuff:
    • Torment no longer affects monsters with the same alignment as the caster (player-usable torment still affects the player and informs the player of this).
    • Ranged weapons have slightly less accuracy.
    • Sleeping monsters get an EV check. This affects ranged anything and spells but not stabbing.
    • Spell memorization never takes more than 1 turn.
    • All characters get an extra 2 spell levels to ease the earlygame spell slot limits.
    • Holy wrath and silver brands are completely merged, tentatively calling the brand holy silver.
    • Manuals no longer take up inventory space.
    • Dex stepdown is pushed back to 24 (ie dex is a little more effective).
    • Flay damage does 40% current hp instead of the insane formula it had before.
    • Overhauled miscast effects. The set is much more limited and much more tied to spell school.
    • Zot traps finally removed from generating in the couple vaults that still placed them.
    • Hot new monster spell called Curse that places a temporary "zot trap" near you. The effect set from this is limited to the really bad hex effects, basic goal is a different way of playing around hexes using positioning. This replaces banishment in all monster books that had banishment. I have a couple other ideas to try if it ends up being bad.
    • Player distortion banishment is an unthing; the distortion effect and unwield cause heavy contam instead of banish.
    • Swamp worms no longer submerge. I did not add harpoon shot yet, not sure if I'm going to.
    • Vehumet spell gifts stick around in the spell library (still need to do some work with the piety behavior of this)
    • Good gods forbid you from casting evil permabuffs and dispel any that you have active when you join.
  • Spell stuff:
    • Portal projectile is a permabuff.
    • New permabuff: piercing shot, a level 5 charms/tloc spell that makes your shots penetrate. Mutually exclusive with pproj, sustaining one will deactivate the other.
    • Summon mana viper's cap is now 1 (was 2).
    • Sandblast damage is a little less nuts.
    • Song of slaying scales a little worse, cigotuvi's embrace is a little weaker.
    • Cleaned up spell damage formulas a little for static discharge, chain lightning, and iood.
  • Miscellaneous stuff:
    • Lugonu altars show up in dungeon again. Lugonu should be the only way to get abyssed now, I think.
    • Naga mages and Nagaraja cast dimension anchor instead of teleport other.
    • Slime is 3 floors (was 4).
    • Improved the bazaar shop gen code and did some cleanup on the set of bazaar maps.

100% committed to summoning reform in the next update, unless it doesn't happen again. Also going to be taking a look at Xom, Jiyva (again), and Qazlal (again), probably some other gods and spells, and maybe species (at least one of pubby ogre or realz dg are probably coming in some form). Good chance I end up working on some other small projects during the next couple months so no guarantee that I'll get another non-bugfix update out for a while though.

E: bugfix update to address some skill level crashes. Update also includes mutation changes and part of the upcoming Jiyva 3.0 rework.
Remove spell hunger.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 5
amaril, chequers, dplusplus, gishou, nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 5th July 2018, 13:58

Why is silence lvl 4?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th July 2018, 21:53

Silence was, imo, a relatively bad spell at level 5, so I moved it to level 4 to make it a little more attractive.
Remove spell hunger.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 6th July 2018, 21:19

I am not sure what you did so xp/skilling but it seems to be 10x slower and is borderline unplayable and not fun.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 6th July 2018, 21:44

There was an attempt to fix another bug that caused that, but I replaced that fix with a better one. Should fix on server update, ie tonight or tomorrow.
Remove spell hunger.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th July 2018, 03:57

Good news. Kobold and Gnoll were still playable but getting a bit boring. The skill trainings were disastrous and made everything else unplayable. I hopped in Severen's game and we had a bit of a whinefest before he killed himself :D

But his last 2 games knocked me down a couple spots on the top 20 so maybe don't update it for him.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th July 2018, 15:55

Seems to be fixed, Thanks @Hellmonk

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 7th July 2018, 21:17

Confirmed, fixed.
Attachments
moonstruk.jpg
moonstruk.jpg (142.53 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2018, 05:27

What is going on with the Trolls and 2headed ogres killing me in D:2 now? Lmao, was this intended? It's dumb. :(

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 15th July 2018, 09:41

I picked up a manual of crossbows, which was marked useless.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 16th July 2018, 18:15

Had a rather promising OpBe run ruined by DOOM on vaults 3, it triggered when I was in the middle of going through the 3rd of the 4 major sections. Can you please make DOOM trigger different on V3, the level is much larger and takes much longer, especially if the rune is in the last one you go to. There is absolutely no way I could have done an OpBe (true Be, no switching) any faster nor was I doing anything scummy other than throw luring about 5 or so moves.

Edit: well its not entirely ruined as I ran to depths without the rune, but its crap.

bel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 16th July 2018, 19:56

You get a warning about 500 turns before the DOOM trigger, don't you? I agree that a uniform breakpoint for every level is crap, but it is what it is. You don't need the silver rune to win.

A simple approach to fix this would be to scale the DOOM counter by, say, 150% on every branch end. So, you'd have 4500 turns to clear D:15, Orc:2, Snake:3, Vaults:3, Tar:7 and so on. If this is too much or too little, one could combine this fix with a reduction in the DOOM counter for non-branch-end floors, or adjust the scaling factor.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 16th July 2018, 23:48

I initially hated the doom counter on vaults:$ too, but now I sorta like it. You need to approach the level with the goal of *not* clearing everything. It's much more of a hit and run strategy.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 19th July 2018, 01:45

I've taken to making sure I have like 7 in axes even if I'm not using one, and sitting in the middle mashing tab pretty successfully ... Drain/Vampiric does the trick
Or just making sure I have the piety to DA everything ...
Or big stealth ...

I've actually never hit the doom timer in V:3, only Shoals it seems :(

bel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th July 2018, 02:45

There's nothing inherently wrong with a timer. One can make any rules in a game, and people can adapt to them.

However, there was a long discussion upthread about how the "anti-scumming" timer is not really about scumming. severen was (I presume) not "scumming" here in any reasonable sense of the word. I won't repeat the arguments again here.

My own experience with Vaults:$ is that it is not uncommon to come close to the DOOM timer. Especially if the first three quadrants I check don't contain the rune.

Other places I have come close to hitting the timer in include Snake:$ (rarely) and Orc:$ (only once).

The Snake:$ case is much worse than the others because
(a) the only exit is right where you find the rune, so you can't even skip the rune and bail.
(b) many Snake:$ endings are based on huge vaults which require a lot of luring. And Nagas are slow, so it requires even more time to lure them out.

I have never actually hit the timer in any of my games. I either died before the timer ran out, or escaped in time.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 19th July 2018, 04:45

Eh, the timer needs to be there ... Loud god like Qazlal that attract the entire map would make the difficulty absolutely negligible ... Especially in shoals where if you don't have flying the difficulty is heavily increased but you could, so to say, just duck into one of the rooms and rest it until things show up for you to hit.

Not that Qaz isn't completely overpowered on any race without negative aptitudes for invocations in the first place ... Being able to 1shot Cerebov is a ridiculousness in itself.

On another note: The Dith changes are cool, would be cooler if they were applied to melee weapons, though I can see where the issues would be there.
Some of the mutagenic muts are just ... Lol. Once you get a demonspawn going with both spines and the freezy mutation from the shafts ... Well you can literally just walk around until you hit the sbranches and everything falls over around you.

Worst mutation addition seems to be the tentacle. Stack it with the poison barb and that'd be cool. Maybe the same with beak/drain bite. I dunno. Even then it'd be pretty negligible later on whereas most of the others retain their usefulnesses.

Also the log gets heavily irritating when you have sustains going like DChan/Infest/Spectral Weapon/Animate Dead/etc. and you're just pressing enter 3,000 times per turn because your clouds are hitting them as Qazlal. Is there a way to edit this? When Snake Pits were broken when arrows were first taken out was bad, this gets downright maddening lol

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 19th July 2018, 14:13

bel wrote:I tried a Nemelex game (NaTm) in the latest version. I did find an amulet of faith somewhere around D:6, so it was easier than usual. Some general observations:

(a) Nem is, as usual, really good.
(b) Early game Nemelex is a crapshoot but really OP. Example: I had only just taken Nemelex and Invo was something like 2 or 3, when I ran into Grum's pack right after I descended a staircase. I blind drew from destruction and at some point got Wild Magic (IIRC). It killed almost the entire pack in one shot. I checked the messages, and found that it did something like 150 damage (in total) instantly, which is crazy.
(c) Decks of escape seem really scarce. At one point, I had received something like 70 each of summoning and destruction, but only 5 of escape. Not sure if this is intentional or just bad luck.
(d) I never ran out of piety or cards whenever I wanted to use decks (same as normal Crawl experience).

There's (D), but also (E): Nemelex cards don't disappear if you switch gods. This in and of itself seems broken as all heck! If I play Nemelex I tend to switch after I have some stacks built up ... Because why not? Granted you don't get the almighty Draw 4 ... But still way too strong. You can literally find a lategame altar like Qaz and use your cards as you build up his piety to head into Pan as summons and the like will keep you safe. Pair Nem with DChan / Infest and you're invincible from anything without smite targeting ...

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 20th July 2018, 23:46

Looking into the monster gen thing, haven't found anything yet. Thanks for info on the timer etc, will try to tweak that again soonish perhaps (I also want to modify level gen and the sbranch end vaults in some way). Nemelex cards will be reclaimed on abandonment in the next version. I'm pushing a little more Jiyva stuff and tweaking a xom rework for that, but I'll try to get it up in the next week or so.

Re: the log, I think you'd want to disable force_more with rcfile configuration and then customize back in whatever stuff you actually want to force_more on; this is a problem for some characters in mainline as well but I suppose having lots of crap going literally all the time instead of most of the time makes it even worse.
Remove spell hunger.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 21st July 2018, 11:56

Okay. IMO Qazlal needs some tweaking too. Either less scaling for Upheaval (Last game 2 upheavals killed Antaeus) and Disaster area ... Slower piety gain maybe? He just feels so much stronger than any other god right now, and with his huge piety gains you can really just blink and DA in any troubling situation and have all your piety back by the next time you need it, no matter what ... And no matter what everything dies.

Of course, on top of the noted above, the kills will proc effects for stuff like demonspawn regen mutation, Jiangshi passive ... Song of Slaying ...
Heck, in a full room in Hell you can literally Disaster Area and watch your piety go up instead of down, especially with a faith amulet.

Also DA/Upheaval are like basically the strongest spells in the game except they're invokes so they're not spells which makes it even better ...
I think you could half the piety gain and it still wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

bel

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st July 2018, 13:50

I haven't played Qazlal in a while, but it being strong in the later game may not be a bad thing. Since upstairs don't exist in Hellcrawl, the noise is a fairly big disadvantage, especially in the earlier parts of the game.

I tested some of what you were saying above in wizmode and 27 invo; I didn't manage to replicate your experience. I could not one-shot Cerebov with disaster area. Neither was I able to two-shot Antaeus with Upheaval, not even close (he took 10 shots). I did several trials, so I doubt that what you're saying is typical. Maybe you got very lucky.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 21st July 2018, 18:06

bel wrote:I haven't played Qazlal in a while, but it being strong in the later game may not be a bad thing. Since upstairs don't exist in Hellcrawl, the noise is a fairly big disadvantage, especially in the earlier parts of the game.

I tested some of what you were saying above in wizmode and 27 invo; I didn't manage to replicate your experience. I could not one-shot Cerebov with disaster area. Neither was I able to two-shot Antaeus with Upheaval, not even close (he took 10 shots). I did several trials, so I doubt that what you're saying is typical. Maybe you got very lucky.

It's quite typical. You probably are not placing your disaster area right ...
Positioning is quite important for it, which is where blinking comes in. If you are adjacent to the Pan lord, they will take extremely reduced damage. Try placing yourself 2 or 3 squares out from him, and THEN disaster area. I can replicate it just fine. Also with upheaval, it's quite easy to kill the pan lords in 2 or 3 hits ... Supposing you get an element they are not resistant to.

I've done this build many times ... To the tune of 15+ wins. You can literally 1shot anything in the game with disaster area with minimal effort on placement to set it up.

Also due to his nature, Qazlal is powerful all the way through. It's not just DA and Upheaval, he gives the resistances based off the last hit you take, including physical ... Plus the passive, massive shields boost and passive clouds.

I'm quite sure what you are doing wrong is your disaster area placement. Many people have viewed my games and been stunned at me just running through 1shotting everything in Pan/Hell exit.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 21st July 2018, 18:08

>

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 26th July 2018, 00:48

New update.
  • Several new mutations in the general mut pool. Too lazy to list them all here.
  • Several new Jiyva exclusive mutations. Ditto.
  • "Completion" of the major Jiyva overhaul:
    • In addition to the aforementioned new mutations, mutation gifts begin earlier, are less frequent, and are much less likely to be removed (so you will accumulate a larger, less shifting mut set).
    • Slimify works on everything, always turns the target into a (hostile) slime creature.
    • The jelly conduct and all the weird heal on item slurping passive stuff is removed. The random loot eating conduct is removed. Stat shuffling is removed. Getting a rune for free is removed. I want to add another passive or active later on, maybe. Also might want to rename or reflavor the god since the concept has diverged a lot from mainline.
  • My one and only attempt at Xom reform. If this sucks then I'm willing to either not care or remove Xom, not trying to salvage it again.
    • Mutation gifts on an xp timeout (randomized but generally a bit over 2 levels), where Xom removes your entire mutation set and gives you a new one composed of random mutations, length scaling with experience level.
    • Item gifts on a shorter xp timeout (randomized, usually you'll get a couple per experience level). Item type and quality is still very random, but should no longer include equipment you can't use.
    • Xom's other random actions only occur in combat (chance scaling with the total "threat level" of enemies in los - this isn't a great metric but I couldn't immediately think of a better one) and the set has been curated. No more banishment, no more random teleport. No more strategic effects from random Xom actions; those are all handled via xp timeout.
    • Xom no longer has any type of piety system and does not grow bored.
  • Nemelex reclaims decks on abandonment.
  • Slightly nerfed qaz upheaval and disaster area power scaling.
  • Wand of polymorph always turns the thing into a slime creature and is called wand of slimification.
  • Fixed some really dumb bugs.

This will be the last non-bugfix update before the 0.22 tournament; here's hoping it goes better than the last one. I do not have as much time to work on hellcrawl anymore, so my update pace is probably going to slow down a lot. If anyone is interested in assisting with hellcrawl development, please message me. I check discord and irc most often but a pm on tavern is fine too.
Remove spell hunger.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
chequers, nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 27th July 2018, 16:43

Xom is still annoying. The random environment effects are a little more reasonable ... Should be immune to Xom's clouds though so as to better utilize those effects.
Also, stacking opposing mutations starts to get REALLY annoying. With it switching so often you end up with a lot of overlap ... ie; Shiny / Stealth+++ cancelling each other ...
Jiyva gets better static mutations, so there's nothing that I can see really pushing Xom as a better option in any scenario, except that you might get lucky and he'll throw you some nice equips.
Maybe some static Xom implement at piety req. would make him more viable? Dunnooooooo I can't stand him still

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 03:43

Give Siegmund his Scythe back!

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 30th July 2018, 04:19

Playing Hellcrawl Xom as a non-magic user is quite good, since you get a lot of manuals it seems. I do agree that Xom feels like Okawaru + Jiyva though, the effects plus random gifts aren't interesting enough. I don't think Xom is in a bad enough spot to remove though. Just maybe needs someone to come along and carve out the niches of Oka/Xom/Jiyva a little more clearly.

Jiyva is super fun, finally a way to play which gives you an absolute buttload of semi-permanent mutations.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2018, 18:33

Speaking of mutations, there is no mutation message when you acquire the mutation 'Your non-sustained spells cost 1 less MP to cast'.
A very minor, non-issue thing, but it's missing. =]

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2018, 08:33

Bazaars should all fit within LOS, since otherwise you need to explore by hand every time you return to one to look for new shops (I think?)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 3rd August 2018, 16:01

New Yred causes wicked crazy log spam. I Enslaved Pikel, sent him promptly to his death against a pack of orcs and ogres, and while he's dead I get 4-5 "Unlinked Item held by dead monster" notifications in the log every turn, forcing --more-- for each one.

In addition, if I hit Enter one too many times, it repeats the whole stack of notifications without even taking a turn. If I DON'T press enter too many times, I can take one turn as normal before logspam.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th August 2018, 19:27

So trunk copied the spell book system in HC, when can we get rid of food and curses and get permabuffs too?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Yesterday, 18:17

Here's a suggestion, if removing Xom is still being considered: merge Makhleb, Trog and Xom into a single blood god of chaos and call it something like Throxomneb or perhaps something even more khorny, then make such into a god who, instead of despising all magic with a strange blind spot for evocations, despises ranged attacks as cowardly, including reach attacks with polearms, except if you're using a polearm, shooting or casting a long range spell at point-blank range. That would be cool IMO and more flexible than Trog's restrictions, but it is probably too much.

On a less serious note, make Chei gift 6* piety worshipers with exclusive anachronistic unrandarts like a chainsaw with evocable berserk that uses the blades skill so you can stab things with it while berserk(still more practical than a triple sword), a "double wand of scattershot" with infinite ammo like bows, twice as much damage, shorter range and wider spread, etc.
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner