cut Haste spell, replace with cooler charms

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th September 2016, 21:54

cut Haste spell, replace with cooler charms

The point of getting Haste as a spell is that you can use it for all moderately dangerous fights (as opposed to very dangerous ones where you'd probably use a potion/wand anyway). In my opinion this is bad for at least two reasons: (a) it adds tedium, in much the way Phase Shift/Stoneskin did (especially when you factor in waiting out the contamination), and (b) making Haste a nonrenewable resource may make late game challenges a bit easier to design.

In addition to these benefits, and maybe more importantly than them, cutting Haste would open up design space for more interesting (and active) offensive high-level Charms. Ideally I think Charms should be for players who want to rely on melee for most of their damage, but want a more involved playstyle more like that of dedicated offensive casters. A few ideas:

• a spell that gave your melee attacks an AoE effect, maybe hitting a line past your target, or a cone like Sauron in LotR;
  • a spell that let you bypass a portion of your target's AC based on spellpower, but quickly drained your MP;
  • a spell that periodically teleported you to a random monster in LoS, but could be cancelled instantly & at will and had a chance of confusing monsters you ended up next to;
  • a spell that moved a target monster next to you;
  • a spell that gave you a chance to instantly cast a (random or preselected) Conjuration at the target of each melee attack (but at the normal MP cost), sort of like a combination of Infusion and Spellforged Servitor (or, really, Arcane Combat in ToME).
Thoughts?

For this message the author luckless has received thanks:
duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 16th September 2016, 22:04

Re: cut Haste spell, replace with cooler charms

I agree with the reasoning about the Haste spell. Since it is pretty hard to reach agreement on a good replacement, so I'd suggest to axe first and discuss the replacement later.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 6
duvessa, luckless, scorpionwarrior, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve, Yermak

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th September 2016, 18:29

Makes sense. Another possibility worth considering may be to just combine Charms and Hexes back into a single school.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th September 2016, 18:39

Honestly, minus haste and some of the other "problem" spells which have gotten cut over the years, I could see it happening.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th September 2016, 18:41

Haste does suffer from the usual charm problems and should be removed like the rest of the buff spells. However, I'll point out a few things.
1. Both luckless and dpeg are assuming that a replacement is needed in the first place. I am not convinced it is. Divinations didn't need replacements. I don't see why Charms does.
2. Haste is not actually as bad as stoneskin/phase shift/ozocubu's/etc. because the contam prevents you from maintaining it while exploring. Waiting out contam is obnoxious too, yes, but much less so than maintaining buffs during exploration.
3. I do not believe removing the Haste spell specifically will make lategame challenges any easier to design; you should assume the player has access to haste whether the spell exists or not (it's a rare spell now, so there are already many Crawl games in which the spell doesn't exist). The difference between having the wand and having the spell is small.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, nago, PleasingFungus

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th September 2016, 20:54

I would personally like to see the freqency of potions of haste increased and the spell and wand removed along with the associated contamination.

Alternatively i would like to see a poste haste slow similar to post swiftness -Swift
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 00:06

dang, I thought this was going to be a twelwe thread

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 01:32

Is haste wand still going to be in the game?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 18th September 2016, 03:44

Haste is pretty cool, just a bit OP and overused. Reducing it to a consumable would do the trick. I don't think there's anything wrong with wands of healing/hasting/teleportation. The multiple choices are different and can induce strategic choice.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner