Polytheist background

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:47

Polytheist background

How could you balance a background with the ability to worship 2 gods simultaneously?

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:50

Re: Polytheist background

It would have to be a species. But making this work in a moderately intuitive way would be about 1000x more difficult than it would be worth.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 18:52

It should be a race, not a background. Backgrounds are just starting packages, nothing prevents your Berserker from using Fire Storm (except Trog wrath of course ;))

2 gods are not that powerful because of how piety works unless one of the gods does not have piety. Kiku + Gozag might be fun I guess, you ask for corpses and get gold instead ;)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 19:35

2 gods in 1 cup? The flavours tend to have mixed results.

I do have an idea. A race called "Magnets", because they attract the interest of one god. The god is chosen randomly at game start. At level 2, you discover which god is watching over you. From this point onwards, you start gaining piety with this god and to get abilities with it as if you were worshipping him. You cannot be abandoned, but you can suffer wrath. You can then normally convert to a god, at which point you have your patron god and your magnetized god, each of which gives you abilities; you have 2 piety metres, which increase at half of normal speed each.

By having your magnetized god revealed at level 2, you can choose a worshipped god which doesn't come at odds with him and avoid wrath. Or you can deliberately incur in wrath, if you feel like it.

It would be a bit like draconian and demonspawn, random abilities or stats.

BTW it's on the not to do list, but maybe there is a way to do double worship like double wield. In this case, you don't worship 2 gods, you worship 1 god and also have a god that has chosen you as a mean to his purpose.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd September 2016, 22:34

I'd balance it by changing it so that you can only worship 1 god at a time

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 24th September 2016, 01:53

duvessa wrote:I'd balance it by changing it so that you can only worship 1 god at a time

very insightful...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner