Mephitic abuses

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 01:48

Mephitic abuses

Mephitic is one of the basic wizard spells and if you can cast it it's the go-to for a lot of stuff. Even when monsters are *resistant* it's often better than the other options. I hate to suggest anything against it... yet there are a couple of things that probably just go too far.

a) Intelligent, susceptible monsters ought to know not to walk into the choking stench, and possibly should even take a move to leave it if standing in it. I mean, you actually get a warning when you're playing and you accidentally try to move into it. And you probably know better than to stay standing in it if you're not confused yet. I'd think that Tesla would know the same thing, and not just wander his genius butt around the dungeon crying because he smelled poo-poo. True, having monsters leave or avoid the cloud wastes a move, and might be manipulated - I'm not sure if that's strategic manipulation or exploitive manipulation. But compared to just dying as some freak stabs you a hundred times with a bitty dagger, it seems the smarter option for them.

b) Monsters confused for any reason that attack themselves seem really strange. i mean yeah, sometimes it comes as a huge relief, but ... if you had the dumbest jock-warrior Trog-worshipping Trump-voting troll (and to be sure, there's a little troll in all of us :) ) would you not still be absolutely furious if your character had just electrocuted himself with that fancy club he's been swinging around, while three squares away from any monster? Oh, let the confused monsters keep killing each other - you get the same choice when you're confused. But when they kill themselves it feels like they stole your trophy.

I think these two changes would put it more in line without totally ruining the fun, especially if you can cast multiple clouds.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 14:09

Re: Mephitic abuses

I thought this thread was going to be about the insults that imps hurl at you.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 5
dracos369, Hirsch I, PleasingFungus, Sar, tedric

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 16:53

Sorry, but why was this moved from GDD? The OP seems serious enough to me, it arguments its points and they are worth considering. Monsters hitting themselves with a club (how do you even do that?) are strange, and point A is actually relevant: I haven't used meph in the last years, but, if the clouds aren't avoided by monsters anymore, it is a strange behaviour.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 30th August 2016, 20:37

how to hit yourself

1. pick up a big stick
2. hold it in one hand
3. swing toward knee as fast as you can
4. scream, drop stick

how to win

mephitic cloud, things literally kill themselves

how is death a trophy

death is win
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 03:25

Monsters avoiding mephitic clouds would be a buff to the spell, not a nerf. It was tried for a while and basically turned cloud spells into wall creation spells; you could use level 3 spells to trap monsters out of your LOS, and there was even a moment when casmith789 killed Wiglaf by putting mephitic clouds in front of him, blocking him, then casting Sting at him through the clouds until he died.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 6
Arrhythmia, nago, PleasingFungus, qwesdf, VeryAngryFelid, ydeve

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 14:34

So that's how the dwarves died out in DC.

For this message the author HANFGEIST has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, Sar, VeryAngryFelid

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 1st September 2016, 08:24

DD survived because of their innate fake rP.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner