A new Zot:5 strategy

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 19:11

A new Zot:5 strategy

...at least to me. I just shadow-stepped my way on Zot:5 all the way from the edge of a lung to the Orb. Stabbed an OoF, electric golem and an alich on the way. After shadow-stepping to the last orb guardian I just had to take two steps to the Orb. Pick up orb, read ?tele and evoke fan (sadly at this point the guardians had woken up and surrounded me).

Another first: the teleportation from the orb chamber landed me right on top of an alarm trap in the other lung... had to burn some consumables to get away.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 19:48

Re: A new Zot:5 strategy

But you did get away, and go home with the win, yeah? That is some nasty luck though, it landing you right on an alarm trap.

I like the strategy. Dith's Shadow Stepping is pretty fun to use when you get it rolling like that.

(Re the consumables: you'd know this a lot better than I but my feeling is as soon as I'm going for the Orb Run there's no such thing as holding back on consumables anymore. I tend to shove about five different potions down my throat right before picking up the Orb for that very reason. Dying on the Orb Run would be humiliating, to say the least.)
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 19:55

Yeah, I did win, just posted the YAVP. I've been killed once during the orb run (on D:1 no less) and I think that's more than enough.
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 21:42

This shadow step strategy might get you into the orb chamber, if you are lucky enough to have an uninterrupted chain of sleeping enemies. It's not guaranteed you can do this in every game though. Once you were in the orb chamber, your strategy wasn't really anything new - it was just "try to teleport out of the level as far as possible" as opposed to "clear the level, then move out", and it's always a risky strategy one shouldn't use IMO unless your character just can't kill stuff on Zot:5. Slow-teleporting with an orb can kill you in so many ways, mostly involving your exact scenario: a group of awake monsters blasting you to smithereens.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st August 2016, 22:00

Sure, teleporting with the Orb is nothing new, I use it basically every time (unless Fo of course). I always clear the random half of Zot:5 and then one of the lungs (except this time). I've never died due to this teleportation, even though occasionally the teleport puts me in a bad place. Just teleport again. Every character I bring to Zot:5 can handle a few turns in the viscinity of whatever mob I land into.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 01:03

there's a well-known tv of someone doing this a few versions back (shadow-stepping to the orb) that got dith nerfed in like three different ways

more impressive to pull it off post-nerfs, ofc!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 04:45

Malevolent wrote:This shadow step strategy might get you into the orb chamber, if you are lucky enough to have an uninterrupted chain of sleeping enemies. It's not guaranteed you can do this in every game though. Once you were in the orb chamber, your strategy wasn't really anything new - it was just "try to teleport out of the level as far as possible" as opposed to "clear the level, then move out", and it's always a risky strategy one shouldn't use IMO unless your character just can't kill stuff on Zot:5. Slow-teleporting with an orb can kill you in so many ways, mostly involving your exact scenario: a group of awake monsters blasting you to smithereens.

this is why he needs to combine it with the PoG strat

shadowstep in, pog out, ez orb

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
Hellmonk

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 22nd August 2016, 06:35

The PoG trick sounds really cool, definitely gotta try that sometime.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2016, 23:53

What is pog?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2016, 23:58

Passage of Golubria? Seems like an underrated spell in general. Poor man's cblink, for heavy armour melee fighters who can't cast it and for formicids.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 00:05

I think it's the only spell whose function I completely don't understand. I don't get why it's better than blink, the portals open where they want to anyway.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 00:07

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner