what are some good games

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th August 2016, 09:40

Re: what are some good games

I was upset the final fantasy thesis wasn't about the game final fantasy. Final fantasy 10 is a different game, man. Don't make me play a black belt party again, I'll do it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th August 2016, 14:20

tasonir wrote:I was upset the final fantasy thesis wasn't about the game final fantasy. Final fantasy 10 is a different game, man. Don't make me play a black belt party again, I'll do it.

Second Final Fantasy Thesis:

The best party is Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, the best party without repeats is Fighter, Red Mage, Black Belt, Thief.
take it easy

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 26th August 2016, 16:47

tedric wrote:ok, so I'm playing FFV for the first time and seriously: how is this not just a bad version of FFIV? i mean, it's not the worst FF I've ever played by any means (looking at you, Mystic Quest) but uggggghhhhh i'd so much rather be playing through IV again

Spoiler: show
just got through the part where you meet Cid & Mid and now i have the steamship and have heard the name 'Exdeath', so please let me know if i'm approaching a turning point where this stops looking like a knock-off of its immediate predecessor and starts acting like an interesting game in its own right, or if it's just going to keep being a slog through essentially the same "plot" as IV but with only 10% of the creative world-building and 5% of the emotional stakes

If you're playing Final Fantasy V for its plot you're doing it wrong.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 05:05

tasonir wrote:I was upset the final fantasy thesis wasn't about the game final fantasy. Final fantasy 10 is a different game, man. Don't make me play a black belt party again, I'll do it.

also: thoughts on all BB party? i'm starting to feel the final fantasy urge take over and i'd like to do a gimmick run easier than solo white mage.
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 27th August 2016, 06:18

tedric wrote:ok, so I'm playing FFV for the first time and seriously: how is this not just a bad version of FFIV? i mean, it's not the worst FF I've ever played by any means (looking at you, Mystic Quest) but uggggghhhhh i'd so much rather be playing through IV again

Spoiler: show
just got through the part where you meet Cid & Mid and now i have the steamship and have heard the name 'Exdeath', so please let me know if i'm approaching a turning point where this stops looking like a knock-off of its immediate predecessor and starts acting like an interesting game in its own right, or if it's just going to keep being a slog through essentially the same "plot" as IV but with only 10% of the creative world-building and 5% of the emotional stakes

I think the main appeal of FFV is the job system, so if you're not liking it then probably no sense continuing. Personally I liked the music better, and though the story was more campy than IV it somehow had more emotional appeal to me. When I finished V I actually felt emotional about the ending.

For this message the author moocowmoocow has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2016, 18:32

Dominions 4, it might still be on sale steam-side.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 02:04

Probably osu!. I've already been playing it for 5 years with thousands of hours worth of playing time and counting yet I'm still so bad at it. Definitely a strange yet addicting game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 05:07

RIVE and Brigador are both really good

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Sar

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 06:04

I saw this thread was resurrected and my first thought was "must shill Brigador here because why not". Damn you, Shard1697!

Anyway, it's a pretty cool game if you're into isometric shooters/"realistic mecha"/sci-fi tanks or something.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 8th February 2017, 22:14

Super Monkey Ball got hacked and now people are making custom levels.

radical times we're in today
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th February 2017, 21:32

Arrhythmia wrote:

also: thoughts on all BB party? i'm starting to feel the final fantasy urge take over and i'd like to do a gimmick run easier than solo white mage.

Is this post from before or after I did the all black belt let's play on this very forum? All BB party is the typical power gamer "I want to own everything" build. It's crazy powerful. You have like 30 minutes of being weak when you're level 1, but then you get to around level 3 and everything is fine. And then when you get to level 10 you start straight up dominating, and it stays that way for the rest of the game. It's basically exactly like using unarmed in DCSS.

I mean, look at that power:

Meet beautiful bosses and smash them in one hit:

thread here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17821

Barkeep

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 01:53

If we're not dead-set on this being a Final Fantasy thread and want something completely and totally nonroguelike (not even roguelikelike), I 100% wholeheartedly recommend Firewatch. The writing, acting, and art are amazing.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 01:58

pubby wrote:Super Monkey Ball got hacked and now people are making custom levels.

radical times we're in today

Links?
take it easy

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 10th February 2017, 02:47

Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 11th February 2017, 20:59

I Shot Andy Warhol
N: Way of the Ninja (pgood platformer despite being Canadian)
Super Mario 3: Blue
Caves of Qud
and of course RPG Maker classics like Space Funeral and Yume Nikki.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th March 2018, 16:30

Necroing this thread to post about Celeste.

I just picked it up, it's a *really* good precision platformer, and I know some of you have similar genre preferences. I'm a couple of months late to the party with this title, but it flows and plays more smoothly than The End Is Nigh -- I haven't played a precision platformer this good since Super Meat Boy.

It was made by the same guy who made An Untitled Story, I highly recommend checking it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th March 2018, 19:13

njvack wrote:If we're not dead-set on this being a Final Fantasy thread

We are in fact dead set on this being a final fantasy thread, and I want to remind you that 4 black belts is and always will be the strongest FF party.

Also I was the only one to actually FINISH the run, so I'm still pointing fingers and accusing glares at the rest of you. Let me show you how strong fighters are by not finishing the game! I bet they didn't even kill kraken in one hit! Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th March 2018, 19:37

Into the Breach is good as hell
Previous

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner