Beogh Prefers Orcs; Will Take All [Minor Rework]

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 19:32

Beogh Prefers Orcs; Will Take All [Minor Rework]

Hill Orcs that worship Beogh are given all the opportunities that they currently have to worship Beogh, and are given one star of piety upon joining.

Every other race must find an altar to Beogh and worship him. The orc restriction is lifted.

Beogh's sudden acceptance of all races is smiled upon by the Zin/Elyvilon/The Shining One and Beogh's status as an evil god is revoked.
duvessa wrote:teleportitis is annoying but i dont think you could ever convince me it is dangerous, let alone crippling

duvessa wrote:DCSS Go: jump down the nearest manhole and fully explore the sewers before you go back out

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:04

Re: Beogh Prefers Orcs; Will Take All [Minor Rework]

To me this is a "why not" kind of thing. Flavor getting in the way of a god being available to all species is bad enough, but the species that this god is restricted to is one of the stronger ones in game anyway.

I don't know about other people, but I think playing the non-easy races is generally more interesting, meaning not Mi, HO, or Gr. This god is HO only, meaning I basically have to play on easy mode to even be able to worship him.

I don't care about the evil thing one way or the other. Letting orcs join from priests is fine I guess, although at that point you might as well just let them start with it...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:06

I remember we had a similar proposal in GDD recently and it was refused by devs.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:13

We have this proposal every two days and it was refused by devs

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
vergil

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:20

Beoghism is dungeon Scientology. You "pay" by being an orc. Increased Piety leads to greater Operating Thetan levels, allowing you access to alien technology that lets you walk on water and bring people back from the dead. If we place power like this into the hands of any random Spriggan Wanderer, why, they might run up and down a bunch of stairs and steal a big marble or something. They might do it until their whole hometown is a big mountain of stolen marbles, which will lead people to wonder, which will lead them to wander, until all marbles have been stolen. That wouldn't be too fun.

That said, I would love to make a MiFi of Beogh with an army of berserk axe-fighting minotaurs. C'mon, at least in Arena mode?
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:24

agree with the OP except for the "prefers hill orcs" part

just let everyone worship beogh if they want to. who cares. if there's any difference at all, it can be that hill orc priests don't try to convert you if you're not an orc. "As you kneel before Beogh's altar, your appearance shifts and twists into that of an orc!" there, done

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:29

I've suggested it before, but Beogh could be something interesting if:
1. Hill Orc removed as a starting option
2. Worshipping Beogh changes your species to Cave Orc (same thing as Hill Orc but renamed to match dungeon orc species & separate records)
You would remain a Cave Orc after abandoning Beogh, which could provide some interesting options if god wrath ever gets fixed.

(Implementation note: dynamically changing the player's species is already supported, see draconians.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
and into, goodcoolguy, Shard1697

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:36

I have a better idea.
Remove Beogh.
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

For this message the author vergil has received thanks: 2
and into, ximxim

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2016, 20:43

I may be the weirdo in this, but I like playing beogh. My only issues are
1). not being allowed to follow beogh on other species,
2). gifting should be completely automated, AKA beogh automatically gifts orcs armor and polearms as their rank increases(warrior:halberd and at least ring mail, knight:glaive and at least scale, warlord:bardiche and at least chain)... this solves meticulous grabbing of polearms to increase orc power/safety as well as trying to keep orcs with faster one-handed polearms they can use shields with, and
3). I don't give a heck about caster orcs please just let me not recall them or not recruit them or something so I don't gotta boil them to death with flame wands+shallow water

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
and into

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 02:25

duvessa wrote: if god wrath ever gets fixed.

A) What's the problem?
B) What would you think a fix to this problem looks like?
take it easy

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 07:03

Shard1697 wrote:I may be the weirdo in this, but I like playing beogh. My only issues are
1). not being allowed to follow beogh on other species,
2). gifting should be completely automated, AKA beogh automatically gifts orcs armor and polearms as their rank increases(warrior:halberd and at least ring mail, knight:glaive and at least scale, warlord:bardiche and at least chain)... this solves meticulous grabbing of polearms to increase orc power/safety as well as trying to keep orcs with faster one-handed polearms they can use shields with, and
3). I don't give a heck about caster orcs please just let me not recall them or not recruit them or something so I don't gotta boil them to death with flame wands+shallow water

Giving orcs bigger weapons actually makes them do less damage on average.. anyway without the orc thing beogh is just a bad boring god. I still don't think beogh should be removed, new players have a lot of fun being orc jesus, even if the novelty wears off pretty quick for most people
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 07:19

Arrhythmia wrote:
duvessa wrote: if god wrath ever gets fixed.

A) What's the problem?
with the exceptions of ash, hep, and the movedelay part of chei's wrath, it either instantly kills you or does nothing, and you need a different spoiler for each god to know which one it will be
Arrhythmia wrote:B) What would you think a fix to this problem looks like?
give all gods the same wrath and use a long-term penalty (like XP) instead of trying to use summons, miscasts, direct damage, etc.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th August 2016, 13:46

duvessa wrote:give all gods the same wrath and use a long-term penalty (like XP) instead of trying to use summons, miscasts, direct damage, etc.

XP is often irrelevant at this point. Not sure if spending consumables can be treated as long-term penalty but god wrath summons often force using scrolls of blinking/teleportation and potions of healing in my experience.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner