Bad Acquirement?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 19:33

Bad Acquirement?

I just got a wand of heal wounds as a vine stalker from a scroll of acquirement. Is this supposed to happen?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 19:38

Re: Bad Acquirement?

you can still use it to heal your allies :^)

Spoiler: show
yes, though I believe the chance is lower than for normal species

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
dynast

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 8th August 2016, 19:56

Duvessa wrote a highly informative guide on what acquirement can gift and how it decides what to give you here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20065 . Indeed, HW is less likely to be generated for a vine stalker, but it is not impossible unless, apparently, you are a Ru worshipper and have sacrificed love.

I'm a formicid addict and have occasionally had similarly silly wand acquirements; hasting is possible, and digging isn't even any less likely for them apparently.
Last edited by Blomdor on Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 15:58

Blomdor wrote:I'm a formicid addict and have occasionally had similarly silly wand acquirements; hasting is possible, and digging isn't even any less likely for them apparently.
It saves you food! Because starving to death is so frequent. And less snarkily, it's faster than the dig ability if you need to dig lots of squares in a row for some reason..
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks: 2
Blomdor, vergil

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 16:29

MainiacJoe wrote:
Blomdor wrote:I'm a formicid addict and have occasionally had similarly silly wand acquirements; hasting is possible, and digging isn't even any less likely for them apparently.
It saves you food! Because starving to death is so frequent. And less snarkily, it's faster than the dig ability if you need to dig lots of squares in a row for some reason..

"You should use wand of digging instead of formicid dig abillity, because it saves you food!" :D

Give this advice here:
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20644
Online Statistics
Road to: Great Ds (6/25): DsFi^Gozag 3 R, DsGl^Qaz 4 R, DsMo^Chei 5 R, {DsHu^Uska 6 R, DsAs^Uska 7 R}, DsAr^Chei 8 R.
In progress: DsWn... Currently out of time. Maybe someday.

Watch my streams here

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 16:45

Today I got a +0 dagger of draining on a dude/gal with zero SB skill and 10 in maces... Man is scroll of disappointment ever an appropriate name.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 19:30

Sympathies. On my FoVM today (last win needed for great formicid, yay!) I acquired wand two or three times, got acid and iceblast that was already identified, and about five minutes after the last scroll of the game was used I found heal wounds on the floor. After a long, long series of games with formicids of Okawaru, I've firmly decided that the Floor God and Oka in tandem make acquirement look like a complete joke most of the time. I don't get very excited about it these days. It's better if you luck out and find it early, because at that point a +0 pair of boots of stealth or a +0 war axe of chopping might actually be something you can use. Since it's the rarest scroll in the game, though, it usually ends up as the "Scroll of Hopefully, Maybe, Possibly Acquire Wand of Heal Wounds" for me.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 21:23

Might be a total idiot but wand acquirement as a formicid seems less then ideal..
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 9th August 2016, 21:42

Wands of healing are still the best thing.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 01:36

Well, if you've already got good weapon/armor, it doesn't matter that much what you acquire

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 01:53

jwoodward48ss wrote:Wands of healing are still the best thing.

They aren't that good in lategame/extended, as they are only really useful then for stalling for time waiting for a teleport, or healing up after escaping.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 16:38

Yeah, they're only good for not dying when you would otherwise die. <sarcasm>

It's not as good as being able to reset a fight without disengaging like you can use them for early on, as they won't keep up with enemy damage, but the difference between dying while waiting for a teleport and not dying while waiting for a teleport is a rather large one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 17:33

Acquired jewerly and got a ring of flight... on a tengu.
You shall never see my color again.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 10th August 2016, 18:56

did it also have EV+1?
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner