New branches or runes?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 05:43

New branches or runes?

Is there a chance that we might see new branches or new runes? I'm mostly in the dark as there hasn't been much talk of this.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 06:29

Re: New branches or runes?

Forest got cut several versions ago and parts of it were merged into Lair, Swamp, and Depths.

Since then I don't believe there's been any new (legitimate) ideas for new branches. If you have an idea and you're willing to code it up, create a new monster set that challenges the player in a significantly different way, and design multiple vaults and layouts for it, then I'm sure the devteam will give it serious consideration.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 07:25

I'm not really sure the game needs more branches or runes. A big part of what the devs have been doing these past few version updates is lowering the number of floors in branches and outright restructuring. Back when I used to play, the dungeon had 27 floors and there was no such thing as the Depths, the Vault had 8 floors, Lair Branches 5, and there was still a Hall of Blades that wasn't a part of Elf.

And I'm all for the downsizing. The problem with adding, say, an additional branch, is that it just drags things on further. I'm all in favor of how much shorter the beginning feels relative to how it used to feel, and how you're not just going through floor after floor of all the same thing. If you wanted to add anything, I'd argue adding more vaults that can spring up would be better. And maybe, MAYBE if you REALLY want to, you could add a new unique Pan floor for the demonic rune, and base that around something else. I dunno what, maybe something like an earth based Pan level with unique earth monsters that use lots of earth magic, with Hades as the Pan Lord, but that's about all I'd really add in terms of a new rune.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 13:40

It would be cool if there were more types of portal vaults.
Currently most spawn in early and midgame only wizlab and bazaar will spawn late. Perhaps there's enough reason too add a new one for lategame which could spawn in Hells, Tomb etc.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 14:08

It is a lot of work to make a new branch: you want a distinctive layout, and monsters that have thematic sense and pose different types of threat. I am not sure we'll ever see another branch. (Shoals took several release cycles to get ready, and Forest was abandoned.) Feature bloat is not so much a problem, that's why we use the branch roulette instead of making the game larger.

If you have an idea, try to make a portal vault! This is much more small-scale (and rare, so needs to be less disciplined). That is what happened with Spider, by the way.

I am sitting on my half-finished portal vault (the lua mechanics all work, I "just" need more content), and I am sure there are interesting themes to be explored.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 14:30

I'd just like an alternative to Lair.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 14:33

Coding things up is a lot of work if it has no obvious support going in...big gamble. It's a lot of work either way; but if you don't feel certain that it's going to work it's hard to get motivated for it.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 17:24

Laraso wrote:I'd just like an alternative to Lair.

Maybe turn the Bailey portal into a full size alternate branch? Where instead of wandering through hordes of beasts you're trampling through several levels of fortifications helping to defend access to the branches that might contain runes. You could have some new monster types based around weapon types, so you're not just turning it into Orcs 2.0. Maybe some kind of greater gnoll collective, higher levels of them akin to Orc Sorcerers/High Priests/Warlords, though not being as powerful, since Orcs are more powerful than gnolls.

You'd need something else too... I could see wolves sticking around, because Grum (who should be guaranteed in this particular branch, I'd argue) and maybe a few other "trained" animals, that differ from ones you see in the Lair. Like trained tigers, maybe, or ostriches. Stuff they could ride. Featuring Centaurs in a greater role here might be neat, and help dovetail nicely with the Grecian inspiration of the Shoals.

Oooh, ooh, and maybe some trained slimes, because Slime Pits is always around, so you have to have SOME justification for them. Maybe it's like these gnolls are ultimately tools of TRJ as much as anything else. Not necessarily Jiyva worshippers, of course.

I dunno, just some ideas.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), MiBe(11), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3), GnEE(6), VpEn(15)

For this message the author Queen Cassie has received thanks: 2
qwesdf, vergil

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner