Most frustrating death

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 05:55

Most frustrating death

Share your stories. Here's mine:

Few versions ago. Berserker in Lair using staves, Trog finally gives a relevant gift: glowing quarterstaff. Eagerly I wield it, says "Space warps around you." Ok kind of annoying, roll with it, but then the next two levels are just a plague of blink frogs. Skip to dungeon, but dispersing 'taurs and spell casters is becoming a pain in its own right, and I find a lajatang on the ground (!?), so I unwield. Cast into abyss.

Didn't panic, been banished plenty of times before. But this time the abyss just dragged on and on. I had more than one close call with liches and such, used up most of my consumables and a lot of piety, but finally I see the pearly gate. Six tiles, five tiles, four, three, two steps to freedom....

"You are suddenly pulled into a different region of the Abyss!"

Didn't even get to die screaming to an executioner or a fiend. No, it was like a goddamn hell hog or something that finally did me in.

I have drownings, a starvation, and deaths by banana peel to my name. I once even firestormed myself to the morgue when my cat jumped on me at a critical moment. But this one takes the cake.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 06:29

Re: Most frustrating death

I sympathize heavily; Trog has screwed me over with distortion gifts multiple times, and I dislike the brand strongly enough that I prefer dying in the Abyss at low levels to actually putting up with the annoyance of using it despite its raw power.

I've forgotten most of the really aggravating splats I've had, but one that still remains fresh is death by undetected Zot trap, almost within line of sight of the Orb, during a tournament IIRC as a melee tengu. I had just survived a very dangerous fight as I recall, but foolishly decided to move a few steps rather than stay put and press 5 for whatever reason. I was still relatively inexperienced at the time and must have thought that retreating would be safer somehow. I still have a peeve against being punished for the terrible crime of stepping on a seemingly normal square that you have not yet stood upon just to be absolutely certain.

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks:
and into

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 14:12

Everytime i end a streak its a frustrating death, but none will ever match this one:
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 041843.txt
  Code:
Message History

Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel very buoyant.
You fly up into the air.
A zombie and a skeleton come into view.
Something frightening happens.
Careful! Your magical effects are unravelling.
Magic surges out from your body!
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: T - a wand of hasting (5/9)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
You feel yourself speed up.
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
This wand has 4 charges left.
The water elemental completely misses you.
You furiously retaliate! You headbutt the water elemental!!
You float gracefully downwards.
You fall into the water!
You sink like a stone! You drown...
You die...
Your body crumbles into a pile of gold.

3 turns without reading the messages and then you get killed by a hell effect of a miscast effect you did not even know existed in the only segment of the game where you MUST fly across. In other words, that one time i got killed by flavor.
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
and into, Floodkiller

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 15:28

Flying over lava, reading tele immediately after flight expiration message, then drowning anyway. Obviously I had blinking, and also power leap, but was convinced that teleport will work in time.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 16:36

Probably this one for me...

Because :
  • It's
  • my hyper account and I try to care about winrate
  • It did had the Orb, the longer the game, the bigger the pain
  • It was a Fe with an awesome title
  • I played like a jerk

That sucks too :
  Code:
112282 | Zot:5    | Paralysed by the power of Zot for 5 turns
112284 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
112287 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
112287 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
112292 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
112293 | Zot:5    | HP: 5/196 [Orb Guardian (15)]
112293 | Zot:5    | Mangled by a death cob
And I was petrified before the para effect disappeared... It seems that 11 long turns without defenses in Zot:5 will kill you...
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 16:51

Comborobin Admin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 18:18

anytime where I die because I just genuinely had no idea that [x] enemy can do that much damage, because it hasn't ever happened to me before. it's why people decide they'll look up every enemy's damage numbers so they don't unexpectedly get demolished by something which unexpectedly does a fuckton of damage, because you can't always get a good feel for an enemy's danger level in this game just by playing normally since it varies so much contextually...

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 18:34

I remain salty over a pretty good VSSk that died because I didn't notice that Antaeus had a reaching weapon until I was already dead. I should've done a ton of things differently, but dang, man, that was a good run until that point.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 20:28

dynast wrote:Everytime i end a streak its a frustrating death, but none will ever match this one:
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 041843.txt
  Code:
Message History

Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel very buoyant.
You fly up into the air.
A zombie and a skeleton come into view.
Something frightening happens.
Careful! Your magical effects are unravelling.
Magic surges out from your body!
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: T - a wand of hasting (5/9)
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - you
You feel yourself speed up.
You are very lightly contaminated with residual magic.
This wand has 4 charges left.
The water elemental completely misses you.
You furiously retaliate! You headbutt the water elemental!!
You float gracefully downwards.
You fall into the water!
You sink like a stone! You drown...
You die...
Your body crumbles into a pile of gold.

3 turns without reading the messages and then you get killed by a hell effect of a miscast effect you did not even know existed in the only segment of the game where you MUST fly across. In other words, that one time i got killed by flavor.

I also died in this exact way during the tournament. I lagged through the messages because I figured the game would hard stop me if my flight was going to run out.

I'm thankful that drowning is dead.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks:
dynast

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 20:32

Seeing the abyss exit and just when I was about to step on it a monster steps on that tile, can't remember what killed me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 22:18

GrSu with 4 runes and the Orb, died on D:1 to a Pan lords Ice Storm (104 damage).

I was hiding behind summoned butterflies waiting for a teleport to kick in but a soul eater first killed the butterflies and then came the Ice Storm...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd August 2016, 22:33

Was in pan, loltornadoing everything in sight, followed a dragon around a corner i hadnt seen the other side of, with tornado up, my tornado stopped, and i fell into deep water in a square i didnt know was deep water (was the pearl dragon lair in holy pan) and died.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 05:08

Was attempting to melee down a nearly dead hydra instead of burning one of my 6 blink scrolls. I did some quick math in my head and figured out he only had a 12.1212repeating percent chance of killing me in one hit.

Proceeded to hit tab because, what're the chances?

Then... the absolute madman actually did it. It killed me in one hit. WHAT THE FUCK. IT WAS LIKE A 1 IN SIX CHANCE, THAT LIKE NEVER HAPPENS IN REAL LIFE. I truly think the devs need to look at their RNG, it's pretty terrible.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 06:01

More generally, any death that occurs either in Shoals, or elsewhere while I am actively avoiding Shoals, will inevitably rank among the more frustrating that I have experienced.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 06:27

I switched to playing online and was playing my first online game on some new server without realizing that it does not display HP bar around the character icon.
I was killed as DD with vampiric weapon and crazy defenses/HP by awaken trees while still thinking that I am at 100% HP.
Probably it is also my most stupid death.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 13:10

Charly was going to get #1 score,
13 runes in 15k turns, but died in the Cocytus,
http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Ch ... 220455.txt
I know I would feel really frustrated about that one
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th August 2016, 15:08

anytime that i thought i should win, but didn't.
take it easy

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 5th August 2016, 18:01

De Serpent uf Hell breaddes metal schplinters at hyu.
De schpray uf metal schplinters hits hyu!
* * * LOV HITPOINT VARNINK * * *
De Serpent uf Hell breaddes energy at hyu.
De bolt uf dispellink energy hits hyu!
You magical effects are onravellink.
* * * LOV HITPOINT VARNINK * * *
De Serpent uf Hell schpits krystal at hyu.
De krystal schpear hits hyu!
Hyu die...

the serpent of hell got nerfed shortly after that death, which clearly should have given me a do-over.

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks: 2
and into, Queen Cassie

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 03:22

I have 2 deaths to hunger in labyrinths since hunger doesnt (didnt?) have a force more message when using direction keys to move instead of auto explore.

My first online guy which would have been a winner died in slime because i didnt know how webtiles handled lag (keystrokes arent discarded, they are queued and will eventually happen), so i pressed a bunch of directions and rubbed myself to death against the walls. Lesson learned, if i want to check if lag is gone on webtiles press escape.

My very first online game I didnt know the keystrokes yet and wielded the pair of gloves i started besides instead of wearing them, putting away my weapon. I tried to tab the first enemy and died silly slapping one of the weakest enemies in the game.

For this message the author Baldu3 has received thanks: 2
and into, dracos369

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 07:22

I just had a lovely splat.

I'm a formicid, of course. I've just done Elf:3, and I've survived multiple trips to the Abyss. I resist lots of elements, my AC's about 34, I've got a decent +2 shield of reflection, and I'm swinging a +10 battleaxe of draining. I'm XL21, and maybe, just maybe I am strong enough to do Shoals without boots of flying (which rarely seem to spawn lately.)

I run into Polyphemus. He of course has a catoblepas with him, because Shoals apparently needs to have as many monsters that spam rare, annoying abilities as possible; all it's missing are mutation spammers. I of course get petrified, because I'm not good at this game and I make mistakes. The thing about petrification is that it takes that mistake and instakills you with it sometimes. I survived!...but as soon as I turn to flesh the Petr status is reapplied (same turn! I had no opportunity to make an action) and I know my fate is sealed. I try to shaft myself, but even this takes too much time and I am suddenly very dead. DYWYPI? Might as well have asked that, because the whole affair and Shoals in general reminds me of NetHack.

tl:dr: Shoals is apparently not only more dangerous than Vaults 1-4, but also the entirety of Elf in my experience for most characters. It takes the place of Swamp, so this makes perfect sense. Really!

For this message the author Blomdor has received thanks:
and into

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 09:03

The most frustrating deaths are the ones where afterwards, I reminisce about it and think, "WTF was I even doing? Literally anything other than what I actually did would have saved me.
If I play online, I do so under the screenname Marenglen.

For this message the author Malevolent has received thanks:
BabyRage

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th August 2016, 12:35

Malevolent wrote:The most frustrating deaths are the ones where afterwards, I reminisce about it and think, "WTF was I even doing? Literally anything other than what I actually did would have saved me.
after sex there's no regret
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 06:39

Eyesburn wrote:
Malevolent wrote:The most frustrating deaths are the ones where afterwards, I reminisce about it and think, "WTF was I even doing? Literally anything other than what I actually did would have saved me.
after sex there's no regret

would you pretty please like to trade lives
take it easy

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 06:47

MuSu confused by orange crystal statue.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 08:45

sex is extremely overrated

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner