Should Sif get another buff? Wiz bonus?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 19:31

Should Sif get another buff? Wiz bonus?

After playing Sif with SpEn I had a lot of fun tossing wayward exp in random spell schools (and training spellcasting to 21). When the amount of books Sif gives you is combined with the amount of extra exp SpEn gets to put into random shit alongside a wiz bonus of their own, they're able to use a very diverse set of magical spells. Personally, I think this is (or should be) the main draw of picking Sif Muna as a god, but currently in order to have such a diverse skillset you need amazing aptitudes in all or most relevant schools. Basically, you need to be a DE or Sp. If you're a race like Hu or Op, your aptitudes aren't good enough to have the experience necessary to cast spells from many different schools, since you have a lot of other stuff you need to worry about as well.

I believe Sif Muna should grant +Wiz to better allow characters to use many of the spells that she grants.

On another note, should Sif also gift enhancer staves in addition to books? Possibly randart ones as well? These would have a separate timeout from the other gifts so as not to interfere with her main draw.

Sif Muna already got a massive buff with insane MP Regen and the token One More Spell ability, but she is by no means OP nor top tier and I highly doubt either of these would make her OP.

My topic in DCAdvice with this combination:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20936

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 22:07

Re: Should Sif get another buff? Wiz bonus?

+wiz (passive)
+enhancer (passive)
+3 to Spellcasting apt (passive)

At that point I might consider worshipping Sif.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 23:55

Moose wrote:+wiz (passive)
+enhancer (passive)

That's pretty insane. Why on earth would anyone ever, ever pick Vehumet if Sif, who is already probably usually better than Veh, also gave you Wiz and an enhancer for everything?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 00:18

IMHO, the best way to power up Sif would be by making the book drops work by having Sif propose one of two books, with the player able to choose between them. It's still situational, but it should be an aid.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Xion350

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 01:37

Shard1697 wrote:
+enhancer (passive)

That's pretty insane. Why on earth would anyone ever, ever pick Vehumet if Sif, who is already probably usually better than Veh, also gave you Wiz and an enhancer for everything?

So you're saying that then you might consider worshipping Sif, too? :)

(The smiley face means I'm just making a horrid joke please don't hate me.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 04:54

+enhancer (passive)

That's a little insane, although the spellcasting bonus seems like it could be interesting. I had thought of a flat piety-scaled bonus to spellcasting (10 at max piety) instead of the wiz bonus (and instead wizardry is just another enhancer staff gift). Enhancer passive should be Veh, and to all conjurations. Sif wouldn't let you have the effect of multiple different simultaneous enhancers, just the ability to pick the one you want.

Is there something that prevents randart enhancer staves from being generated? I've never seen one and I wonder why.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 05:01

If you compare it to what currently strong gods like Kiku/Fedhas/Trog offer, then +wiz +enhancer +3 apt doesn't seem nearly as good. But I'd rather nerf the nutso gods.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Moose

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 10:36

Earlier (and maybe more frequent) books would make me worship Sif more often. I don't think Sif needs the rest.

There's probably some design space for a god that actually makes spells better (power, cost, range, hit-chance, etc.), without giving access to more spells.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 11:07

I never understood how Fedhas is strong god.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 11:26

Wandering mushrooms are extremely strong and very easy to access. Semi-permanent allies that hit reasonably hard (20!) and confuse? Crazy.

Sunlight has its uses and a few oklobs quickly deal with many dangerous enemies. Praying to destroy some undead is just icing on the cake.

Wandering mushroom allies are really strong.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 11:38

In my experience mushrooms die in 1 hit past the first 10 dungeon floors, not to mention how annoying it is to play with them. Praying on corpses? What is it 2010? Oklobs are situationaly useful, but you can't use them too much. I would take heroism/makhleb demons/gozag potions over it any time. Other Fedhas abilities basically don't exist, cos they are useless.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 13:54

BabyRage wrote:In my experience mushrooms die in 1 hit past the first 10 dungeon floors, not to mention how annoying it is to play with them. Praying on corpses? What is it 2010? Oklobs are situationaly useful, but you can't use them too much. I would take heroism/makhleb demons/gozag potions over it any time. Other Fedhas abilities basically don't exist, cos they are useless.

You can't really shrug off 20+confuse anywhere in the main dungeon, lair, or orcs. In any case, Fedhas gets you through the hardest sections of the game.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 16:01

Whatever the changes, I'd like Sif to remain the goddess of unlimited, mindless mp channeling spam. The fact that Sif allowed "pure summoner" speedruns was by far her most compelling attribute as far as I'm concerned.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 16:56

I'd rather see archmage given over wizardry. Could be a 6 pip bonus. Talk about game breaking.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 29th July 2016, 17:21

Shard1697 wrote:...Why on earth would anyone ever, ever pick Vehumet...?

This is the question you should have asked.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 01:00

Vehumet rules if you abuse his range extension. It's a whole extra turn to do stuff. He's my #3 god for wins after Trog and Gozag.

Sif should get a +Wiz-like ability, if only so she has a power that buffs wizards' abilities in the same direct way as Vehumet. +Wiz is just right. Then, with V, you can cast farther, but with Sif, you can be more sure of your casts. Both reward a 'generalist' strategy where the caster has to adapt their skilling. Then hybrid characters could pick Sif to bolster their magic abilities without having to give up all melee specialization and get splatted. And it'd be useful throughout the game.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 17:18

asdu wrote:Whatever the changes, I'd like Sif to remain the goddess of unlimited, mindless mp channeling spam. The fact that Sif allowed "pure summoner" speedruns was by far her most compelling attribute as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure I believe that gammafunk actually changed Sif in a way that would nerf summoning.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 17:35

archaeo wrote:
asdu wrote:Whatever the changes, I'd like Sif to remain the goddess of unlimited, mindless mp channeling spam. The fact that Sif allowed "pure summoner" speedruns was by far her most compelling attribute as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure I believe that gammafunk actually changed Sif in a way that would nerf summoning.
He did, so...

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 17:46

duvessa wrote:
archaeo wrote:

He did, so...

pretend I said "meaningfully nerf," because sure, you can't just stand in place forever summoning dudes anymore, but I doubt he made it unplayably hard either.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 17:55

New Sif is just straight up weaker than old Sif across the board. "Divine energy" does not extend your mp nearly as much/as fast as old channel did. It's not even close. The other channel ability, for some reason, spreads the mp recovery across several turns, making it worse than a potion of magic. It's pretty half-baked.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 20:06

Lol what, divine energy gives you infinite mana with a comically insignificant drawback + channel magic restores massive amounts of mp for little investment but I really shouldn't try anymore at this point

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 20:13

It's also not a huge pain to use, unlike old channeling.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 21:08

removeelyvilon wrote:Lol what, divine energy gives you infinite mana with a comically insignificant drawback + channel magic restores massive amounts of mp for little investment but I really shouldn't try anymore at this point

If you can get yourself to move faster than your opponent it also lets you kite with magic a lot faster than normal. You can see why it can be incredibly strong on a spriggan or even on a speed 10 race.

If people still think old channeling is better, the only reason why would be MP restoration during a battle where you need multiple spells all at once. This itself is taken care of by Sif's other MP restoring ability, which gives you like 5 MP per turn or something silly. And you can use it somewhat freely since in this situation you're making the MP back by kills, whereas this would not have happened before.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 05:09

removeelyvilon wrote:Lol what, divine energy gives you infinite mana with a comically insignificant drawback + channel magic restores massive amounts of mp for little investment but I really shouldn't try anymore at this point

Yes, you get infinite mana if you can wait long enough. Of course, you always have infinite mana if you can wait long enough. Old channel gives you mana much faster than divine energy. I really don't understand what's complicated about this.

re: New channel, it is much worse than potion petition, which is a problem because Gozag shops are also much better than Sif book gifts. 5 mp per turn sucks if you're casting something higher than level 5 and you're low on mp. There is no reason that it can't give the mp all in one shot, so that it would at least be competitive with abilities offered by other gods. Sif just offers very little to a type of character that's already bad.
Last edited by goodcoolguy on Sunday, 31st July 2016, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 05:13

But new channel lets you actually take actions while gaining a lot of mana.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 05:17

See edit. It's not actually an advantage to get mp spread out over a period of several turns.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 05:42

goodcoolguy wrote:See edit. It's not actually an advantage to get mp spread out over a period of several turns.

Then why is old channel useful?

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 06:00

It was free.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 06:05

1. New Sif Channel: avg 4 MP per turn, for several turns, while being able to take actions during those turns
2. Old Channel: avg ~4.5 MP per turn at 27 invo, without being able to take actions during those turns except hitting aa, but at no piety cost

How is 1. worse than 2.? The only real argument you can make is that the probability of a high roll to restore enough MP for another spellcast from 1 turn of old-channeling at very high Invocations makes it preferable to new-channeling, but then you might as well ask: "Why didn't you just evoke channel at the start of the fight if you were going to be fighting a pitched battle?" I guess you could say that the piety cost is too high, but that means Sif's piety gain is still too low.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 15:58

goodcoolguy wrote:It was free.

Channeling is only useful during battle, with hiding around a corner to still be considered part of a battle. New channeling lets you take other actions AND because you're killing enemies you're getting piety back.

Even then, if it really was still better, old channeling was just dumb from a game design perspective.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 19:24

tabstorm wrote:1. New Sif Channel: avg 4 MP per turn, for several turns, while being able to take actions during those turns
2. Old Channel: avg ~4.5 MP per turn at 27 invo, without being able to take actions during those turns except hitting aa, but at no piety cost

How is 1. worse than 2.? The only real argument you can make is that the probability of a high roll to restore enough MP for another spellcast from 1 turn of old-channeling at very high Invocations makes it preferable to new-channeling, but then you might as well ask: "Why didn't you just evoke channel at the start of the fight if you were going to be fighting a pitched battle?" I guess you could say that the piety cost is too high, but that means Sif's piety gain is still too low.

If new channel can be used in every nontrivial fight without worrying about piety, like e.g. heroism, that would change my opinion. It's hard to tell whether that's the case because Sif piety growth seems to be broken right now. If you can't use it in every fight, then I don't think it makes sense to compare it to old channel.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 20:33

How does sif piety gain seem to be broken? I've used channeling pretty often and never dropped a * in piety, and I usually get enough piety to start getting gifts by lair.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 07:08

Shtopit wrote:IMHO, the best way to power up Sif would be by making the book drops work by having Sif propose one of two books, with the player able to choose between them. It's still situational, but it should be an aid.

This. Like three books maybe could be offered. "Sif offers you a selection of books from her libraries." It would at least let me pick the most useful book to me. Instead of getting books that I have zero skill in and zero desire to waste XP training.
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 11:11

What does the UI look like for that? You'd need to be able to check spells inside the books. Would it be like examining books in a shop?

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 7th August 2016, 20:55

Shard1697 wrote:What does the UI look like for that? You'd need to be able to check spells inside the books. Would it be like examining books in a shop?

Blue forced-interrupt message: "Sif Muna's library has some new acquisitions."

You can then examine the books via the abilities screen and choose amongst three randart book options: low-piety option, medium-piety option, high-piety option. The more costly options have more spells, and higher level spells. You can also choose the option, "reject this month's book club offer." Choosing any option resets gift timer, eventually you get a new slate of books to choose from.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner