Don't generate wand of flame past D:5

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 18:50

Don't generate wand of flame past D:5

Don't genereate wand of flame past D:5 or so. 5? 4? Maybe 10. 8.

Of course, wand of flame is an integral part to any crawl player's "tactics" and that should obviously not change. Quantum.

However, it is only useful early on. Finding it later is "inventory and visual clutter" which increases "tedium" and "information burden" on the player. Rocket surgery.
Generating it only in places where it matters solves are these problems. Flux compensator.

And since I know how you like stong Christian values and therefore appreciate it when someone is always ready for first aid, I got my patch ready right here:

Cryogenetic entropy.
Last edited by removeelyvilon on Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks:
yesno

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 18:52

Re: Don't generate wand of flame past D:5

What
I'm being extorted for money by Domino's of all places. No wonder the mafia had it so easy.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:07

It actually stays useful until the end of lair (and sometimes swamp, when it generates) as a "wand of kill things standing in water" - namely, eels. After that you can just turn it off on the auto pickup menu.

For this message the author Laraso has received thanks: 3
dowan, dynast, scorpionwarrior

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:07

OP I was planning to agree with you until you started advertising your ARG halfway through the post.
take it easy

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:24

Laraso wrote:It actually stays useful until the end of lair (and sometimes swamp, when it generates) as a "wand of kill things standing in water" - namely, eels. After that you can just turn it off on the auto pickup menu.

Yes, yes, marvelous demonstration of "optimal play" and "tactics", but if it wouldn't generate past that point it would save you up to 5 seconds (I nuclear-chronometered it) by saving you 2 keystrokes since you don't have to turn it off from auto pickup. And it would save you all future "decisions" every time you'd come across a wand of flame, saving even more time. I am science of it. Wouldn't you agree?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 19:57

It'd be nice I guess, but I don't think that's generally how DCSS item generation works. I think excluding wands of flame from generation might also mean everything else is more likely, indirectly leading to better items (only marginally of course).

And yeah, if you haven't tried using wands of flame against stuff in water, please do, because it's fantastic. Steam clouds do a lot of damage to a lot of enemies!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 20th July 2016, 20:15

removeelyvilon wrote:
Laraso wrote: I am science of it.

Together with "Is that an albino spider with a smile on its butt?", this is one of the things I read today worth remembering.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner