Formicid Gloves

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 04:40

Formicid Gloves

Shouldn't Formicid's wear two sets of gloves, since they're 4 handed?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 05:00

Re: Formicid Gloves

shouldn't humans be able to wear like 40 rings

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 06:53

In addition to toes, you can fit multiple rings on ea finger, so that's more than 40.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 07:01

i wasn't even thinking of toes and dicks, just, even if they were pretty fat rings i'm pretty sure i could cram at least 20 onto one hand

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 07:20

Also if you can wear a ring on a finger as a necklace why can't you just stick all the extra rings on chains and wear them as amulets too?

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 07:25

duvessa wrote:i wasn't even thinking of toes and dicks, just, even if they were pretty fat rings i'm pretty sure i could cram at least 20 onto one hand

But then you'd take like -5 to dexterity.
genericpseudonym wrote:Also if you can wear a ring on a finger as a necklace why can't you just stick all the extra rings on chains and wear them as amulets too?

Well clearly, they need to be on a finger. But that finger can't be on a hand with any other rings on it because <fantasy technobabble>.

More seriously, to the OP: realism will never trump gameplay in Crawl. Can you come up with a good, non-flavor reason why Fo should be able to wear 2 sets of gloves? FWIW it's not as broken as something like wearing 10 rings - most of the time, it'd just mean a couple extra AC and maybe +3 Dex - but I just can't see any non-flavor justification for it.

By the way, the 2 rings thing seems to be something of a fantasy standard (seen in all the Elder Scrolls games I've played, for example). I *think* D&D might have had some rule about it (like, if you wear more than one ring on a hand, only the first actually does anything), but I can't remember to be honest.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 13:31

I don't need Formicids to wear two sets of gloves, yawn, but I'd like it if Blade Hands only affected 1 set of hands. The idea behind Formicid is to give you a chance to use shields plus two-handed weapons... except with Blade Hands, which merges the shield carried in your other set of hands. Presumably because those hands turn into blades too. Except you don't get to attack with them.
<Sequell> elmdor is a greaterplayer!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 14th July 2016, 14:33

Yeah! Either double blade hands, or blade hands and shields for Formicids!
The gloves... eh. I know it makes sense on one hand, but on the other hand, those gloves are clearly designed for humanoid hands and fingers, which I have to assume are pretty different than whatever formicids have. So realistically formicids shouldn't be able to wear gloves at all, they should get a special type of gloves made just for them. Call them... hand bardings or something.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 06:50

What's really being said is that without that extra pair gloves the Fo is not getting the full body protection benefits other races receive since they only have a pair of hands covered.

Half of a Fo's hands are exposed to danger every game.

I suppose a Fo could just wear a shield to protect two hands, and wear two right handed or left handed gloves on the other set of hands. But, lord, you have know idea how hard it is to find such a pair of gloves on the ground..................................

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 16th July 2016, 07:48

ion_frigate wrote:
duvessa wrote:i wasn't even thinking of toes and dicks, just, even if they were pretty fat rings i'm pretty sure i could cram at least 20 onto one hand

yeah but that's just more interesting decisions for about 49% of humans. to wear these 5 rings would you rather take the penalty to dexterity or the penalty to dicksterity?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sprucery

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th July 2016, 02:04

ion_frigate wrote:

genericpseudonym wrote:Also if you can wear a ring on a finger as a necklace why can't you just stick all the extra rings on chains and wear them as amulets too?

Well clearly, they need to be on a finger. But that finger can't be on a hand with any other rings on it because <fantasy technobabble>.

More seriously, to the OP: realism will never trump gameplay in Crawl. Can you come up with a good, non-flavor reason why Fo should be able to wear 2 sets of gloves? FWIW it's not as broken as something like wearing 10 rings - most of the time, it'd just mean a couple extra AC and maybe +3 Dex - but I just can't see any non-flavor justification for it.

By the way, the 2 rings thing seems to be something of a fantasy standard (seen in all the Elder Scrolls games I've played, for example). I *think* D&D might have had some rule about it (like, if you wear more than one ring on a hand, only the first actually does anything), but I can't remember to be honest.

I think D&D specifies that you can have two rings total but doesn't say anything about being on different hands. A character who's lost one hand or a monster with 4 hands can still wear two.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner