Acquirement scroll's fascination with shields

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 15:57

Acquirement scroll's fascination with shields

Why do I so often get shields via Acquirement scroll?

My last character (Unarmed Attack) got 3 shields out of the first 4 scrolls he found.
My current character (Unarmed Attack) got a shield with the 1st scroll he found.

Is there an explanation or is this just random?
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:26

Re: Acquirement scroll's fascination with shields

If you are not wearing a shield at the time of acquirement, getting a shield becomes more likely. I don't know the exact chances, but if all other slots (i.e. helmet, gloves etc.) are filled or unavailable for your current species, but you don't have a shield yet (or at least, aren't wearing one) the chances of getting a (plain, non-randart) shield are pretty good.

In trunk, this has been changed to have acquirement look at armour types seen so far rather than worn, so if you really don't want to wear a shield, that becomes less of a nuisance.

Otherwise, you might simply be experiencing a shield-happy string of random choices.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:34

That's a good tip. I will equip one next time before reading the scroll.

I might even read it naked (but the shield) as all my other armor is pretty bad so far in this game :)
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 16:44

I think you can also avoid getting one by wielding a 2 hander (which is pretty stupid and will probably go at some point)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner