Rename "Deep Dwarf" into "Dwarf"

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 14:01

Rename "Deep Dwarf" into "Dwarf"

Right now, the only playable dwarf race is the deep dwarf.

The game currently doesn't display many dwarves as opponents. I can only think of the uniques Wiglaf and Jorgrun. Jorgrun is a Dwarf, Wiglaf a Mountain Dwarf. I pretty much never met any other dwarves in 0.18.

Deep Dwarves respect the standard view of Dwarves as a hardy race (damage shaving) of artisans (high evo) with a decent aptitude with axes. They are unusual dwarves because they are good sneakers and not-too-good fighters, but they also have strong earth magic aptitude, which is a typical dwarf thing. The special relationship with the dungeon environment is similar to the "stonecunning" in D&D 3.5, which was common to all dwarves; and dwarves are very often subterranean creatures, and therefore "deep".

My suggestion is that of renaming the player race into Dwarf; the typical character of the Dwarf race would be lack of natural regeneration. Wiglaf and Jorgrun could be remade into e.g. Half Dwarves, preserving their regeneration.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
all before

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 14:48

Re: Rename "Deep Dwarf" into "Dwarf"

This would be too confusing for players with an RPG or fantasy lore background, which is most players.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 15:37

Rename deep dwarf to red dwarf, because reasons.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 17:13

remane deep dwarf to dip dorf

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 19:09

rename deep dwarf to mountain dwarf, then remove them (again)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 19:46

common dwarfs:
dwarf
dark dwarf
deep dwarf
hill dwarf
mountain dwarf
beard dwarf
dwarf dwarf

uncommon dwarfs:
tree dwarf
red dwarf
butt dwarf
elf dwarf
brown dwarf

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
nago, PleasingFungus

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 20:48

I agree with OP, as long as we also remove their device recharging and no HP regen.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Sandman25, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th July 2016, 21:41

I agree with the OP. I'd also change High Elf and Deep Elf to Half-Elf and Elf personally but that's just me.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 01:31

I'd remove High Elf (they are the MD to Tengu's Mi) and rename Deep Elf to Elf.

Plus then you get a better excuse for why DE blademasters and such exist despite DE PCs being rather bad at melee.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 06:08

FR: make orcish mines spawn Elven Halls with 1/2 chance, otherwise spawn DWARF FORTRESS!

For this message the author ololoev has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, dynast, ydeve, Yermak, yesno

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 06:43

ololoev wrote:FR: make orcish mines spawn Elven Halls with 1/2 chance, otherwise spawn DWARF FORTRESS!

FR replace pan lords with forgotten beasts.
A towering, beakless woodpecker. It has a square shell and appears to be emaciated. Its cobalt feathers are patchy. Beware its webs! Äb was associated with treachery and caverns.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 19:04

@ Shtopit:

I don't feel strongly either way, and the renaming you suggest would be easy enough to implement, but why do you think this would be a good idea to do so? It does also seem like the name "Dwarf" could confuse newer players, who are used to a particular gaming archetype that does not include "non-regenerative." The adjective "deep" at least tips off that something is "different" about the dwarves in this game.

Note also that there isn't a vanilla "Elf" species, either (though there used to be, iirc, along with a few other flavors of elf).

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th July 2016, 22:01

elf, grey elf, high elf, deep elf, sludge elf

i'm not a fan of renaming anything to Elf, since that creates horrible category/element confusion. compare e.g. trying to say "i'm using a shield, but not a buckler or a large shield". "i killed an elf, but not a deep elf or..."

technically there's already an 'elf' genus/species monster that causes this problem, but it only really exists for derived undead, where there isn't ambiguity.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 8th July 2016, 02:15

and into wrote:(though there used to be, iirc, along with a few other flavors of elf)
actually the relevant chemistry is the same for all the elf species, any variance in taste is due to individual diet/hygiene differences

For this message the author minmay has received thanks: 2
and into, PleasingFungus

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner