Metagame Scoring

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 08:30

Metagame Scoring

On the way to greaterplayer, it occurred to me that there weren't many well-known ways to further glorify one's DCSS exploits apart from turns, rune count, and the other methods that are already part of DCSS' workings. So this thread's about alternative ways to score characters.

Some people on here have suggested trapping lots of unique mobs in the same area and scoring based on what you caught. I dig this one, but wanted to come up with something more balanced that any character could do. I came up with 'Stone Scores': when you die, escape or ascend, the stones, large rocks, and sling bullets you have multiply your score.
1 stone in the inventory is counted as 1.0, 1 large rock is counted as 10.0, 1 sling bullet as 0.25, and 1 branded sling bullet as 0.5. Sum all these and multiply by your character's normal score to find its stone score.

EX.1: Kerrija, NaCj of Cheibriados, wins with a score of 16380215 and 751 stones, for a whopping 12301541465.
EX.2: Hukeymt Logisre the III, slain by an eight-headed hydra on Lair:6, had 49934 points and 387 stones, for a mediocre but still impressive-looking 19324458.

IMPLICATIONS:
- This does not work with Sprint or Arena (still need a better scoring method to fairly score ALL characters)
- You can die with a few runes and still outscore a 15-rune winner, or you can escape without runes and still outscore many 3-5 rune winners
- Wasting thousands of turns to clear a floor you'd have skipped otherwise might lead to a net increase in score
- Your character may actually be eating stone soup with real stones in it, and that's thematically appropriate
- Inventory space becomes even more important (yay)
- Large races (ogre, troll) have more reason to save large rocks
- You might actually pick 'Ammo' for once when reading a scroll of acquirement
- Halflings of Okawaru OP plz nerf

Thoughts? Other fun scoring methods? Let's get a score smorgasboard goin' up in here.
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 09:06

Re: Metagame Scoring

Gongclonker wrote:- You might actually pick 'Ammo' for once when reading a scroll of acquirement

Too late

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 10:45

There are no branded sling bullets anymore.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 13:46

rigrig wrote:
Gongclonker wrote:- You might actually pick 'Ammo' for once when reading a scroll of acquirement

Too late

Pleasing Fungus you never acquired a stack of 30 paralyzing needles or 40 pen javelins.
You shall never see my color again.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 15:55

rigrig wrote:

Too late

This is my story about the two or three times I acquired ammo while greatercentauring.

Unbranded ammo should be unlimited anyway

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 16:16

I got 30 silver javelins one time from acquirement, that didn't teach me that it's a bad idea though.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 19:09

dynast wrote:Pleasing Fungus you never acquired a stack of 30 paralyzing needles or 40 pen javelins.

true, but javelins are trash now anyway. rip throwing

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 19:35

remember when throwing accidentally added the base damage of what you were wielding, letting ogres like, two-shot oof's with plain stones?

the good days...
take it easy

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 22:07

the worst part of the throwing change is that my 0-throwing characters no longer collect tomahawks or javelins to wake things up with because they have a higher delay than stones

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th July 2016, 22:11

well, finding a stack of javs in early D is still nice IME

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner